Royal Wedding Fans Pack Brit’s Pub

By Edgar Linares, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — If you were only half awake at 4 a.m. Friday, you might have thought the royal wedding took place in downtown Minneapolis.

Hundreds crowded Brit’s Pub, some dressed in gowns, hats and there was even a Beefeater guard outside.

“It’s kind of a worldwide event and me and my friend decided why not?,” said Julie Tesch, who dragged her best-friend to the pub early in the morning. “It’s just a good fun event.”

An overwhelming amount of people attended. It was mostly ladies, but a good amount of men sat and watched.

“Oh I’m here to see what her dress looks like,” said Trent Bender jokingly. “I came for the atmosphere. I live half a block from here.”

Bender said he was surprised to see so many at the pub so early in the morning.

“I got here probably about 3:50 a.m.,” said Bender. “There was probably about 45 people ahead of me waiting to get in. So it’s kind of wild to see some prim and proper ladies waiting in hats at 3:30 in the morning to get into a bar. It’s just something you don’t see everyday.”

Every table and seat was occupied by curious Minnesotans. The pub‘s general manger estimates 500 or more came to the bar.

Sonia Hubert took her two daughters out of school to watch the event.

“It’s very exciting and I wanted to share this with my girls,” said Hubert. “Even though they’re skipping school to see this I wanted to show them how life is for a real princess and prince.”

Sophia Hubert, 13, was pretty tired but was excited to be in the crowd.

“I think it’s pretty cool to see all this stuff, to see how an actual princess and prince dress,” she said.

Sophia’s 11-year-old sister Rose added, “I can’t wait to see the princess’s dress.”

The crowd cheered when Kate exited the limo in her wedding dress and clapped when they caught the first glimpse of the Queen.

During the vows, the pub went silent and people stood shoulder to shoulder.

After William and Kate kissed, the crowd began to dissolve. Some ladies who dressed formally said they couldn’t turn away.

“I loved every minute of it,” said Brage Hanson, who showed up with two other friends wearing extravagant dresses and a lot “fake” jewelry.

“It’s fun to witness history and to be at a fun place as well,” said Tesch.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Edgar Linares Reports

More from Edgar Linares
Comments

1. Greg Schreiter says:

it’s sad when someone like that parent thinks that the royal wedding is more important than her children’s schooling

1. harry says:

I know, Iwas thinking the same thing, could the mother not have recorded the blessed event.

1. Give it a Rest says:

And men take there sons out of school all the time to go hunting. She took her daughters out of school for one day to be with them and share an experience. I know better people who have done worse. Let it be

2. harry says:

What a drain on the British people and during a time of tough economic conditions, add one more to the long list of royal welfare recipients. The majority of British people would love to be rid of them.

3. Get A Life says:

Meanwhile, while all of these clowns were taking a trip to fantasy land, the adults of the world went off to work and support the ecomony.

1. Reasonable says:

At 4:30-6:30am? I don’t know about you but I don’t even have to get out of bed until 7:30am to put in my 8 hours or productive tax paying drudgery.

What’s wrong with letting them have their fun? Seriously, how many times will you get to see the future king of england get married? Something tells me that William probably won’t be chopping off many heads so there’s only a couple more left to go…

Also, I wish I would have thought to go to Brits, I bet a handsome single fella could have really cleaned up in there!

2. Felicia Engel says:

Supporting the economy while reading the paper on the clock???

1. Mark says:

Just because you have a bad job that doesn’t allow you time off doesn’t mean you should complain about people with good jobs that might allow them a 2-hour break to watch a wedding. Jealousy is ugly.

4. Dave P says:

I’m so sick of this event taking all the headlines while the loss of nearly 300 lives in the South East U.S. seems to have taken a sideline! Priorities People!

5. Kerry says:

Wow…you guys are negative!! It was fun to watch and something I will always remember. I love history and the royal wedding this morning was history, I agree that some TV shows took it to the extreme, but it was still cool to watch and see history in the making…

1. notKerry says:

I think its fun to throw snow balls at cars on the high way…but I don’t do it. I also like to get drunk and punch people in the face…but I don’t do it. History? Please…get a life!

1. Jim says:

notKerry, what in the world does your post have to do with what Kerry posted? Are you in the wrong topic? Are you just mashing your fist into the keyboard and then hitting submit?

I didn’t watch the wedding and could care less, but the fact is that when the future king and queen of England get married, it’s history. Please…get a clue!

1. notKerry or Jim says:

Clearly you are too dumb to get it…I won’t bother ‘splain’n cuz u won’t get it…

1. Jim says:

Zing! This has been a production use of your time. Well done.

6. ? says:

I didn’t watch it cause was probably just as boring as when Diana and Charles and when Fergie and Andrew were married. Sadly their marriage wiil proababy ended up with the same result

7. Jim says:

I think all weddings are boring, royal and otherwise.

1. Lilly says:

let me guess…..You’re single. If not, you should or will be.

1. Jim says:

I should be single because I think weddings are boring? Hilarious. Let me clue you in: most guys think weddings are boring, including your husband. My wife knew that I hated weddings before she married me, but somehow she let this incredibly insignificant fact slide and married me anyway.

8. Deb says:

It was great fun to attend. You should’ve joined in and then you’d be better prepared to judge us. Have a nice day!

9. Victim Du Jour says:

Women like this kind of stuff because it’s like a fairy tale.

Holly looks really pretty and petite today in that green coat. I like watching her make a cute washboard on her forehead when she has sun in her eyes.

10. Loosers says:

Nothing royal about a bunch of pompous idiots continuing the tradition of ridiculousness! Or the stupid, lifeless people who would attend a gathering to watch.

1. Mark says:

Or morons who can’t spell their own “name” correctly. LOL

11. Elle & says:

Since when in America do we judge people for spending their free time in a way that isn’t hurting anyone? Yes, FREE time. I was there from 4:40 – 7:30 and than went to work. Good lesson for people to not be so quick to judge.

1. Missy D says:

Elle, please don’t reproduce. It is hurting someone. You are teaching your children to worship celebrityizm, instead of working hard. Being part of pop-culture instead of doing what is right. Wishing/worshiping for fame and glory, without having to work for it.

1. Jim says:

No, it’s not hurting anyone. Stop being so melodramatic.

“Being part of pop-culture instead of doing what is right.” Doing what is right, like insulting random people on message boards? You seem like a very angry person.

12. BK says:

Loved that custom pain job on that classic car, Dan!

13. Normally I do not read post on blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up quite forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite good post.

14. Greetings! Quick question thats completely off subject. Do you know how to make your internet site mobile friendly? My internet site looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. Im trying to uncover a template or plugin that may possibly be able to correct this concern. In case you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks! 325497

15. Hello. Excellent job. I did not expect this. This really is a superb articles. Thanks! 260355

16. hey there, your website is great. I do thank you for work 796009