Minn. Woman Dies After Alleged Machete Attack

FERGUS FALLS, Minn. (AP) — A western Minnesota woman has died two weeks after her son allegedly attacked her with a machete in their rural Dalton home.

The Otter Tail County sheriff’s office says it learned of 68-year-old Barbara Howard’s death Sunday from Sanford Medical Center in Fargo, N.D.

Howard’s son, James Howard, could now face murder charges. He earlier was charged with attempted murder and assault in the April 23 attack.

County Attorney David Hauser says an autopsy is being performed. Hauser says depending on the cause of death, the charges could be upgraded to murder.

James Howard allegedly told paramedics he intended to kill his mother to end her suffering from cancer and diabetes. He’s in jail on $1 million bail. A judge has ordered a mental health evaluation.

Comments

1. yeahsure says:

Are you kidding me? Theres nothing alleged about a machete.

2. JasonVoorhees says:

Death by machete? Yeah, sounds painless and humane to me.

3. TS says:

Hmm… diabetes and cancer OR machete? I vote neither.

4. Michelle says:

Dying by machete attack sure doesn’t sound like an act of mercy to me. Talk about not thinking things trough!

5. Levi says:

I would choose neither one,, life is to short as it is..
    I have met James not that long ago & I kept say’n to myself something is not rite….

6. Pam K says:

well I new this man and I hope he ROTS IN HELL FOR WHAT HE DONE
    Barb was a WONDEREFULL WOMAN

7. Lillie says:

I met this man and from the beginning I knew something wasn’t right with him. May Barb rest in peace and hopefully he pays for what he has done.