16-Month-Old Girl Badly Burned At St. Paul Day Care

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — A baby girl is recovering from severe burns she suffered at a St. Paul day care Tuesday afternoon.

According to authorities, bathtub water badly burned 16-month-old Miynisha Howell’s arms and legs at a day care located on North Grotto Street.

Now, investigators are trying to figure out what exactly happened inside the day care.

The little girl is being treated at Regions Hospital.

Comments

One Comment

  1. concerned mother says:

    Wow I am kind of shocked. I wonder why this little girl was anywhere near a really hot bath tub to begin with, especially at daycare. We use to have an in-home daycare in the family and we NEVER gave kids baths. Maybe the times have changed and they do those kinds of things now. They did play outside in the summer in the water with sprinklers and water hoses. Of coarse all while under supervision of a adult. My prayers are with that family and their hurt little girl. Please have a speedy recovery!

  2. Mama J says:

    This is one reason why I REFUSE to put my daughter into a daycare. I put my sons into a daycare when they were 3 and 5 years old and it was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. I really think there should be more rules,laws and surprise inspections for ALL daycare providers.

    I really hope the little girl is going to be okay. My heart goes out to her and her family, and I dont care what the reason is, that daycare should be shut down for good. there was no one watching that baby. .

    1. Andi Matt says:

      Mama J just because you had one bad experience doesn’t mean all daycares are bad. You must be very fortunate to have the option not to put your children in a daycare. Most people don’t have that luxury. My husband and I both work full time and have no family nearby to watch our little one. Therefore we have no choice but to put our 3 year old son in daycare. He’s been with the same provider since he was 2 months old and he loves her! She is awesome and I trust her more than anyone. But we did a LOT of research and interviewing before choosing a provider. It’s a very big deal and we weren’t going to settle for just anyone. I’m not going to crucify this daycare provider until I know all of the details of what happened. How do you know that the little girl didn’t mess herself and it got all over her so she HAD to have a bath and while doing so she reached and turned the hot water on? We all know kids can act in the blink of an eye. It amazes me how quick people are to judge others before they even know all of the details! My prayers are with this little girl and her family AND the daycare provider. I’m sure whoever was responsible feels just horrible about it as well as the family of the little girl.

      1. DeAnna says:

        I agree with Andi 100%! People are quick to judge! SAD!!

        1. Nancy says:

          you read the papers and hear the stories……why would one not be quick to judge? the children are in the care of these people, to protect and keep them safe., make no excuses for them.

    2. Cassie says:

      Obviously you didn’t do your research on daycares like I did with my daughter… Lol

  3. Sam I am says:

    I have had my 4 children in daycare and not one time in the entire 19 years did they ever need a bath.

    This is absolutely preventable. Why on earth is the thermostat on the water heater set to high as so scald someone.

  4. Nancy Versaevel says:

    We do NOT know the facts and right now it’s all about that poor little girl!! My heart goes out to her and her family!! My prayers and thoughts go out to the family!!

    1. sad says:

      Nancy, we know a few facts, this chld was in a daycare where adults are PAID to be CARING for children. We know for a fact a 16 month old was badly burned in a bathtub. I guess we should all be glad she didn’t drown. This is obviously no supervision. In a home daycare, I don’t think the provider should be taking personal phone calls or watching television. They are being paid to be on the job.

  5. Pate says:

    I’ve been teaching in childcare for over twenty years (center-based),and these kind of stories infuriate me.Don’t penalize all providers-the vast majority of us are dedicated to our profession,and supervise children far more efficiently than what happened here.It’s easy to judge.

  6. TWeber says:

    I thought, (correct me if I’m wrong) that the thermostat on a water heater located in a daycare is to be set at 120° or lower, to prevent this exact thing from happening.

  7. L says:

    please dont judge all daycares to be bad. its like anything else in life, there is good and there is bad. one possible thought is that the girl soiled herself requiring a tubby. but there is no excuse as to why this child was burned. you test the water before putting the child in. you supervise the child so the water faucet cannot be turned on and you make sure your thermostat is set correctly. safety, safety, safety, we need to wait for additional information on the story before commenting further. with all due respect.

  8. jon says:

    The kid was probably not being watched for a moment when the child went into the bathroom and turned the hot water on.

    1. sad says:

      Jon, this child is 16 months old, no way that BABY turned on the water.

      1. jon says:

        I disagree. The child probably was leaning over the bath tub and fell/crawled in. Then the child probably pulled himself up on the faucet and simply turned the water on. The steaming hot water was probably pouring out onto the child’s feet/legs which caused the child to fall to his hands and knees which is when the arms probably got burned and is why the stomach/core/back/butt area is not burned. Makes perfect sense to me. I have a two year old who is always trying to mess with the faucet handles when he is bathing.

      2. jon says:

        I disagree. The child probably was leaning over the bath tub and fell/crawled in. Then the child probably pulled himself up on the faucet and simply turned the water on. The steaming hot water was probably pouring out onto the child’s feet/legs which caused the child to fall to his hands and knees which is when the arms probably got burned and is why the stomach/core/back/bottom area is not burned. Makes perfect sense to me. I have a two year old who is always trying to mess with the faucet handles when he is bathing.

  9. JMoriarty says:

    ..no way a 18 month old baby should get burned by a bath at a daycare….no way no how… there should even be water available that is that hot…. not even a coffee machine…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

The Leaderboard
Good Question

Listen Live