Minneapolis Uptown Residents Concerned About Attacks

By Bruce Hagevik, NewsRadio 830 WCCO

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — There have been four violent robberies in the Uptown area of Minneapolis in recent days

Several residents said Wednesday they are taking more precautions.

“I walk around Uptown all the time and this is the first time that I felt I could not walk alone,” said a female shopkeeper.

All the victims have been male.

“You know, I think these things happen every summer so it’s just part of living in the city,” said one young male who frequents the neighborhood.

The attackers struck again Tuesday night in the 2500 block of Pillsbury Avenue South. The victim was a 61-year-old former marine who had a gun. He fired the weapon at least three times and two Hispanic males ran. One was heavier and the other thinner. Police say the attacks may be related.

Meanwhile, people are on guard.

“I carry a knife with me most of the time just because I don’t like guns,” said one young man who visits the area often and has not been frightened away.

Anyone with information about the incidents is asked to call Minneapolis police.

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Bruce Hagevik Reports

Comments

1. John says:

He could have been at HCMC getting his skull stitched together or making friends with ground worms. Thank you sir for your service and for carrying. I’m sick and tired of the gun debate, let people carry everywhere. Join the NRA they want to protect you moms and dads and kids out there yet the anti gun politicians give speeches about how harmful guns are while they are surrounded by armed guards.

1. Down with racist gun owners says:

NRA racists out of Uptown!! We will take back our streets! The people united will never be defeated!

1. Joe Bloe says:

Right. I’m guessing your approach would be to empathize with the thugs, show understand and respect for their “culture”, and find a way to further coddle them with additional welfare programs.

2. Adam says:

^^your an idiot. the reason this man is possibally alive is BECAUSE he had a gun, I live in east st paul and I cant even go grocery shopping without my .40 cal cuz these animals

3. John says:

The NRA simply believes in anyone of sound mind having the right to defend themselves. Maybe you should move to Mexico where residents are stripped of gun rights and live in fear of the cartels coming to their door.

1. Adam says:

I completely Agree with you John. Its BS that these animals are conditioned to think that they can get away with this. I would of killed them I swear to god!

4. Chris says:

It appears you are right on script and I don’t need to read another word written by you to recite your philosophy verbatim. You are a member of a cult that is an enemy to those who cherish free thinking and diversity but you think you are enlightened and tolerant. You are a fool who tries too hard to say the right thing to look smart and be accepted. In truth you hate everyone that thinks on their own and decides without a script what they want from this life. I live in Uptown and refuse to be “united” with the likes of you.

5. YourNightmare says:

Mexican racists out of Uptown! We (are armed and) will take back our streets! Criminal border jumping street thugs will always be defeated.

2. Allan says:

Bravo Sir!

Now back to the range so there is no doubt you hit the turds next time

1. Allan says:

Also, there are no “ex-Marines”

1. Chris says:

Only “Former”

3. Chris says:

Wow, and the Minneapolis cops didn’t arrest this guy for defending himself? What a change from the 90’s this is!

1. jeff k says:

he is still responsible for misses though if they were to hit someone innocent. gun control means hitting your target.

4. Guns off our streets! says:

This individual is no hero! His actions are dangerous and irresponsible. He should have been arrested and charged with attempted murder!! What if he had hit someone with his gunfire?

1. Chris says:

Well, we can stand around and continue to allow these thugs to hurt and kill the rest of us I guess… NOT!!!

2. tuna-free dolphin says:

If he had hit someone he’d be and even bigger hero. And it’s not murder to defend yourself from a violent attack. Don’t be silly.

3. Sanity says:

Hopefully he did hit someone. The would be robbers. They have no regard for others. Bravo to the man who defended himself.

4. William Arthur says:

So you are condoning what these a-holes are doing? You need to rethink your logic there bub.. Ever heard of self-defense? Gotta love the ID10T’s…

5. Jason Bartlet says:

Really? And I was planning a walk in that area of town tonight. Of course I was thinking about taking a walk with my ‘little friend’!

6. tuna-free dolphin says:

If you want see a drop in the mpls crime rate, carry permit holders should start taking more late night walks. I would love to read a story like this every day. It warms my heart.

7. Rob says:

IF you take the guns off our streets the only people with them will be criminals and cops. I wish this marine would have takin this scum bags head off!!!

8. Bob says:

Your logic evades me, just who’s side are you on ?

9. eastside_evil says:

The idea, when you pull the trigger, is to hit someone with your gunfire.

10. SWEAT says:

What are the costs of living in a free society, the man did something positive and hopefully these two dirt bags have moved back to where they came from or atleast have chosen a better line of work

11. jeff says:

The only reason he isnt a hero is because he didnt kill any when he had the chance. The best way to stop criminals is a headshot followed by 2 to the chest. stack those jerkoffs like chord wood.

5. deep says:

Too bad he didn’t kill them.

6. "Marine" says:

Semper Fi Mac. No such thing as a ex or former Marine, only active duty and those released from active duty, It’s our burden and honor from all vets to the people of these United States so you may enjoy the freedoms that have been bestowed upon you and your children. After 30+ years of being released from active duty, I’m still proud to call myself “Marine”. A veteran – whether active duty, retired, served one hitch,or reserve is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the people of the United States for an amount of “up to and including my life”, it’s an honor to be in your company.

1. JamieinMN says:

Dam straight. Proud Daughter of a Marine.

7. Timmay says:

Good for the Marine. Too bad he didn’t hit them. I live in this neighborhood and this stuff is making me think about getting my carry license.

8. Mike says:

And what if this guy did hit a pedestrian? Would everyone hear still be supporting this guy for shooting?

This guy should have been armed with a tazor not a gun. The perp/perp.s would be in police custody now.

Have we really become a blood thirsty gun tooting society? Are we to relive the old west?

1. Organize! says:

A candlelight vigil is being scheduled tonight at the shooting site. Uptown residents are urged to show solidarity with the Minneapolis Hispanic community. Guns and hate will not triumph.

1. Sanity says:

What exactly does this have to do with guns and hate? This man defended himself. He wasn’t committing a crime with a gun and it certainly wasn’t hate related.

1. Lee says:

@ Organize! Who exactly is the VICTIM your vigil is supporting?

1. Organize says:

We support the people of color who are victimized on a daily basis by the white power structure. This marine clearly learned his hatred of Hispanics while serving the imperialist aims of the US Government. He probably attended the notorious “counterinsurgency” course at the so-called “School of the Americas”.

1. c-k says:

Organize = waaaa haaaaa haaaaaa

U B a fool

2. CRACKER says:

@Organize
              you’re an idiot.

2. John says:

Yeah i’m sure these thugs will stop once a vigil is held. Yeah sure…..

3. dan says:

Hopefully the 2 thugs will show up so our marine can get a second crack at them! What a waste of space. Its time to take the streets back from these losers!

2. eastside_evil says:

A tazer? Have you ever attempted to subdue an attacker with a tazer, Mike? Honest question.

9. JamieinMN says:

Let’s take out the trash! Just pile all of the criminals into a dumpster……nobody will miss them.

10. Terrance Opine says:

I wouldn’t have let them run. They wanted money, take thier. you just let tehm get away, next time they might kill someone now.

11. fred says:

violent thugs walk the streets of minneapolis like sacred cows. whats up with that?

12. Adam says:

This almost happened to me last summer, I was walking home and 2 mexicans and a black guy tried to come up on me and rob me… If I DIDNT have my gun….damn.. the person who said he should be charged is a freakin dumba$$. lets “understand” their culture.. please! lets see if that works for u when it happens. I will shoot to kill these criminals

13. God, Guns, Guts says:

That’s nothing!!! 3 black guys, a Mexican. 2 Hmong and a Samoan cornered me in the parking lot of Hennepin Lake liquor! If I faint had mt .45ACP I’d be worm food now!

14. To the rescue! says:

One time in Riverside my buddy Ari and me saw 30 Somolis led by 3 Palestinian grad students from the U attack a busload of nuns and pregnant schoolteachers. It was a good thing we was there with our guns!

1. Adam says:

I call BS on that.. Cuz Palestinians hate somalis first of all

15. Jonas says:

I believe in self-protection; however there would be too many gun-toting people walking around just hoping to confront someone and making themselves Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Now that scares me, as do some of you who’ve made comments above. Just a little to anxious. L.O.L.

1. eastside_evil says:

“however there would be too many gun-toting people walking around just hoping to confront someone and making themselves Judge, Jury, and Executioner.”

Please provide evidence to support your claim.

16. John says:

Let’s say it like this, some of you are willing to get robbed, get your brains knocked out or get murdered, some of us aren’t. Jonas only an absolute moron is waiting to shoot someone. Because of the post trauma stress, the inevitable time in jail until bailed and the thousands spent in court, it’s a last resort.

17. truefact says:

Totally fabricated story old grumpy marine purposely walked around down there late at night, claims some1 approached him says he fired 3 shots, of course missed, lol at hero. Embarassment to actual marines

18. Dirty Harry says:

I know what you’re thinking: ‘Did he fire six shots, or only five?’ Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I’ve kinda lost track myself. But being this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself one question: ‘Do I feel lucky?’ Well do ya, punk?

19. wheat says:

I say move out of the city and go to a armed compound and lock your self in and let ma deuce do the talking. SEMPER FI HOO RA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. SWEAT says:

The world really needs less of you…..

1. wheat says:

I say light sweat up and watch sweat burn like a human candle!!!!!!!!!!

1. jeff k says:

wheat is right. Also since when does looking mexican make you exempt from being shot during the commision of a violent criminal assault. Last i checked being mexican does not make you bullet proof. thats how we got Texas actually.

20. gregg says:

just the threat that there may be gunplay, slows the thinking & planning by these thugs.

21. gregg says:

These attacks, date back to feb of last year. Yet we are suppose to “not arm” ourselfs and let police do thier job? Ya we will be wating for another year for them to get anything solved, if ever. Let the people defend themselves, police are over whelmed.& Can’t protect people properly. That much is obvious. thier attempt at doing something is open an “investigation”, meanwhile people get beat up for years, while they invesigate!

22. Bob says:

The founding Fathers of our country thought it important enough that we could defend ourselves that they amended the Constitution of our great nation so we all can have the right to self defense. If you do not wish to defend yourself and be a victim that is also your right. The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Bearing arms means to carry them on your person. If you don’t like it please find a place that has no such rights and make that your home…..

1. slappy says:

the amendment is also there so that the people can defend themselves against a corrupt and unjust government… which we are getting so very close to having now…

1. MNTP says:

That’s right! How did that negro get into Harvard? Where are the transcripts? Why are we ruled by an Afirmative Action recipient?

2. bigbrotheriswatching says:

are you suggesting that the U.S. government hired mexican looking thugs to attack innocent citizens in an attempt to remove itself from power in the subsequent uprising. because thats what i think too. good call.

2. new york jeff says:

Bob is right you should move to california or new york if you dant want rights. you cant even own guns there unless you are a criminal and the crimanals have more rights then taxpaying citizens.

23. H8 CRIME says:

Great more criminal illegal aliens roaming the street while the Obama Administration does absolutely nothing except campaign for their votes. Why is this major story getting so little coverage? I’m now convinced it’s time to get a carry permit to protect me and my family from these animals.

Thank You Brave Marines!

1. CRACKER says:

Get your permit ASAP before these liberal pansies try and take that right away from you too…

2. eastside_evil says:

The Obama Administration is to blame for attacks in Uptown MPLS??

What?

1. MNTP says:

Obammy’s immigriation and civil rights policies keep criminal minorities on the streets instead of behind bars and in Mexico where they belong.

24. eastside_evil says:

“Obammy’s immigriation and civil rights policies keep criminal minorities on the streets”

This statement says nothing.

Please be specific. Don’t say “policies” say which one, and what it did.

1. MNTP says:

Mexicans did it. Obammy tolerates illegals. What else is there to say? Stop being an apologist for an illegal alien criminal Muslim frauld.

1. Adam says:

^Your an idiot. I love my guns and my freedoms. But I can tell your an uneducated redneck.

1. MNTP says:

It sounds to me like your a diversity loving traitor who wants Obammy to turn the whole country over to the UN. You say you love your freedom? You have a funny way of showing it.

1. Adam says:

Considering Ive been in the Army since I was 17.. Yea I love my country. Dont get it confused, I hate this jigaboos and illegals as much as any other guy. But I know what Im talking about. The problem in this country isnt Obama. Its these people that think that cuz our president is black, they can do whatever the heck they want. And im pretty damn annoyed enough to never vote for Republican again.

1. j says:

im pretty sure obama is not a republican.

1. Adam says:

I know Obama isnt a republican. I hate the republicans. They have nothing to offer the real working class american.

2. CRACKER says:

@Adam
          sorry man but it is You’re (as in you are) not your… not that that makes you an idiot…

2. f. you. says:

I believe it was called his “keeping violent criminal minorities on the streets” policy and that is why they are calling it that. it was something he worked up before his campaign with michelle bachman and carrot top. i hope this was specific enough to clear up the confusion surrounding obamas policies. thank you for your time.

25. jeff k. says:

Lets not forget that the bad guys here aren’t defending themselves, the marine was. These bad guys have already beaten multiple victims including a woman. The cultural background of these criminal turds makes no difference. Hollowpoints are completely unbiased.

1. susan l. says:

there wasnt actually a woman attacked yet, but by not carrying a gun they were all defenseless like women.

26. liam gilmorasy says:

The fact is that nearly everyplace in the city that was once relatively safe is now a hunting ground for any number of types who find easy picking there.
    What the papers fail to comment on is if there is a racial component to these assaults.
    There are demographic aspects to the victims and those who assaulted them.
    Leave out the fact that these people were merely robbed. They were beaten as well..
    Invariably it would seen that those with an European ancestry are going to have to organize at least to the extent that they travel minimally in groups of 4 with one or two armed with something. These doesn’t mean they are looking for trouble.
    What it does mean is that putting potential thugs on notice that the community will no longer stand for it.
    There is the strong possibility that these assaults may be about more than just robbery. For many of those beating these victims this may be apart of their history repaying a perceived injustice.
    By those in the community moving in small groups they have a better chance of defending themselves. If things do escalate then we can be sure that the recent beating and assaults are not about taking their money at all. It is about a chance to “payback”.
    And that is what worries most of us though we would rather not talk about it.
    And our politicians have no idea what to do about it and will not broach the subject even if dialogue would actually help cool the situation.
    It is not merely Minneapolis that suffers in this way.
    Read about the happenings in Denver, CO during the summer of 09 or 10.
    It makes for interesting and somber reading.

27. MrJimWol says:

LEGAL concealed carry permit holders are required to pass a federal background check; they cannot have any history of violence, spouse or child abuse, drug or alcohol abuse, or mental illness. Concealed carry permit holders are inherently safe to be around; they don’t commit the crimes that misinformed (guessing) people associate with guns. Statistically speaking, when crimes involve guns, the perpetrators ae not carrying legally. I am absolutely against the use of guns to commit crimes, but thats because I am absolutely against the commision of crimes. I have nothing against guns themselves any more than I do knives or baseball bats (which are used in more crimes than guns, by the way).

I carry legally, I have a permit to carry. I am inherently safe to be around.

Here is another perspective on the subject of personal defense weapons: http://www.permittocarry.org/images/GunControl.wmv