Gingrich Hit With Glitter At Minneapolis Event

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — GOP presidential candidate Newt Gingrich and his wife Callista were hit with glittery confetti by a protester Tuesday during the couple’s appearance at a book-signing.

The man approached the Gingriches during the signing at a downtown Minneapolis hotel, dumped a cracker box full of colorful confetti on the pair and said, “Feel the rainbow, Newt! Stop the hate! Stop anti-gay politics!”

Two Associated Press reporters witnessed the event. The man was quickly pushed out of the room by an event organizer as the Gingriches brushed confetti out of their hair and laps.

Newt Gingrich smiled as he brushed confetti off the table, and said, “Nice to live in a free country.”

Although authorities couldn’t immediately confirm the man’s identity, he appeared to be Nick Espinosa, a prankster who has disrupted at least two other political events in Minnesota, including one in which he dumped a bagful of pennies in the lap of a Republican candidate for governor last year. In that prank, Espinosa — who has also used the name Robert Erickson — told reporters he was trying to highlight immigration issues.

Espinosa emailed reporters later Tuesday and attached pictures of the confetti attack. He said it was a protest against a proposal to amend Minnesota’s Constitution to ban gay marriage.

Newt Gingrich was due to give a speech at the event sponsored by the Minnesota Family Council later in the evening.

1. Yelp says:

Ha Ha Ha

This republican is such a hypocrite just like Arnold! Both are such Holy Fools!

Obama 2012!!!

Stop the Hypocrisy!!!

1. Phid says:

So you are supporting Obama, the man who campaigned on “hope” and who has delivered lemons?

1. Robert says:

Republinuts will never admit that Bush was a failure. Get over it, you guys lost. Obama 2012.

2. IWonderIF says:

delivered lemons? typical fool. Do you think change happens over night. This man has done more for the USA in two short years than the last guy who had 8

1. Kmeyer says:

Has done more what? Spending, bigger government?

2. NoNo says:

IwonderIf, could you please elaborate on your statement? I have been trying to bring to mind something positive Mr. Obama has done. Perhaps extending the war in Afganistan, not closing Gtmo, now we may end up in a war in Libya? and I am no fan of Bin Ladin’s, but to invade a soverign nation like Pakistan to essentially murder an unarmed man? I am having an hard time beleiving he is still the man for 2012.

1. d says:

OBAMA 2012. We will not have a republican in the WH for a while, if ever. It’s a numbers thing. Its over guys.

2. Sharp Dude says:

Arnold is not a Republican, and if he was, he would not have been elected Governor in California. Arnold fits the Democratic Mold better, like John” the Illegitimate BabyMaker” Edwards, Al “the Groper” Gore and Bill “the Younger Woman Chaser” Clinton.

1. d says:

Arnold is not a real Republican. A republican usually cheats on his wife with a man.

2. WHAT????? says:

Settle down. Why are idiots like you so fast and glad to rope everyone in together when 1 person does something and you blame the party? You are so correct, nobody has ever done anything stupid in the name of the GOP. Wait how about in CA when the GOP took out a bunch of their backers after a fundraiser and spent $6,000 of taxpayer money at a strip club? Or how about when 1 of your precious GOPers yelled out “you’re lying” to the president in a speech, no that must have been honorable and smart right? I would love to discuss this further but my head still hurts a little from the mind blowing stupidity that is your last post. Really? The GOP are a bunch of saints that have never had an extremist that has done something that would be considered “CRAZY”??? Sad little world you live in.
    I do not say that he was justified by doing this but when you go into politics, sh!t happens and at least it was glitter and not a bullet like Gifford’s got.

1. Sasha says:

Note that the president was, in fact, lying. Note also that the man who shot Giffords had no connection to the GOP.

1. calistair says:

Please include your factual source to support your statement “Note that the president was, in fact, lying.”

2. WHAT????? says:

Thank you but I never said anything about the guy that shot Gifford’s was in the GOP. I was saying that they are blowing some glitter out of proportion. As to the Pres lying, that is up to you I guess as there are still people that say he is lying about his birth certificate and there is nothing he or anyone else can do to appease you. Read what is post, do not read into it.

2. Lib Schwanz says:

He was Lying. Did a thrill go up your leg when you read this article? I bet it did.

3. Vixen says:

There is not GOP in California. Its a black hole filled by Centrist Democrats.

3. Shaun says:

Wow, way to keep it classy, Minneapolis. Are you going to steal his lunch money in the playground, too?

And no, I’m not a Republican. I watch John Stewart regularly. I’m just sick of stupid politcal bickering. Let’s focus on fixing our country.

4. Shaun says:

Oops… Jon* These stupid free text boxes don’t have much in the way of suggesting corrections, do they?

5. WHAT????? says:

Just asking here, but are you any better than the bickering with your passive aggressive post here? We would not be able to fix anything if we cannot have any kind of bi-partisan support and that is what is happening when people classify everyone in a party by 1 persons actions. I am not a Dem but I had to comment on that post from Tea because like you, I am sick of stupidity and people opening their mouth without working it out in their brain first. Yelling and then thinking is not a very good reaction and I believe in calling stupidity out so it does not multiply from someone reading only 1 side of a very dumb story. For everyone that posts that WCCO is just a liberal source, this is the perfect story to the contrary. This is nothing but a disturbing the peace charge that happens everywhere these politicians go and still they print it like he was attacked and fighting for his life. Same as they do for all these little pathetic short stories of things that may not even be considered news, more like political pranks. I do not care about the story, just the junk that is spewed after it is print. Again though, the pot called the kettle what?

6. Shaun says:

It was “black.” It’s a pretty common phrase.

1. WHAT????? says:

Apparently you have no idea what a rhetorical question is let alone what sarcasm is. Look it up and then read my last line again.

1. Shaun says:

Holy cow, you’re right! I didn’t know what sarcasm was!

1. WHAT????? says:

You know that using sarcasm to cover up a stupid comment that already made does not help your case much. If you knew that was rhetorical and sarcastic why would you have answered? Keep digging that hole though.

7. Sasha says:

Yes, but out of political correctness there are those who fail to realize the color that cast iron becomes with much use, thus the pot and kettle are the same color.

8. Realist says:

Are you suggesting that those on the right are always civil and decent? Really???

1. Chubby Chuck says:

Calling yourself a “wanabee nickname” destroys all credibility. Does your mother call you that name? Your gay friends?

9. calistair says:

Will you be attending? I’ll be sure to look for you.

10. Josh says:

Sure as hell wont be Newter!!!!!

11. fkafka says:

Nick, that confetti was really profound, You should be very pleased with yourself. I’ll bet you’re still giggling watching photos and moviesof yourself if they are ever released, Next time, maybe try to engage your Republican enemies in debate, Oh, I forget you depend on cheap thrills to make your point. I’ll bet Nick’s not even old enough to vote yet,

1. James says:

fkafka, Newt is a man who had his dying wife sign divorce papers so he could marry a younger woman, been divorced twice if I recall correctly, and hates to allow gays the chance at equality because he believes in the sanctity of marriage. wow, making his dying wife sign papers. now THAT is class. I thank Nick for his actions to bear light upon a duplicitious power hungry politician who has been responsible for creating a no compromise, polarized country.

1. fkafka says:

James, I believe I was only commenting on Nickie’s behavior, not Gingrich’s. Anarchists enjoy performing for crowds.

1. Shaun says:

But you can see James’ point. Gingrich has the word ‘rich’ in it. And you know who was rich? Hitler. So obviously Newt deserved to be showered with glitter by a guy from Minnesota.

12. Magic says:

Could it have been magic fairy dust?

13. Victim Du Jour says:

I can imagine the news if someone threw Fruit Loops at a gay politician at a book signing, it will be called a “Hate Crime” by Media Fascists.

1. James says:

Victim, it would be called breakfast. really, get a grip.

14. Shaun says:

I’d like to quote Ke$ha if I may:

“Go insane. Go insane. Throw some glitter, make it rain on ’em.”

1. Shaun says:

How has no one commented on this. It’s a really good comment.

15. trl the alligator says:

ol cinder block head does not stand a chance of ever becoming Pres…..this goof needs to just quietly fade back into the scenery.

16. To much silliness says:

Not a smart thing to do as what was to be gained by acting dumb????

I guess if one wants to keep the #1 label as being the GAYEST CITY this is a way to manage to stay in the spotlight. It would be smarter to do so in a decent manner but ….. seems to me the ones pushing for the headlines always are the fruitcakes

1. eastside_evil says:

What was the purpose of your comment?

What should be done with gays?

2. James says:

People and critics scoffed at and hated ACT UP for turning their backs on Reagan during his speeches to bring to light the travesty of AIDS, which Ronald cared nothing about. ACT UP changed the world. Yay for fruitcakes!

1. eastside_evil says:

You want to be taken seriously, and you finish your comment with “Yay for fruitcakes?”

Sorry, not happening.

17. Ferris Lind says:

Typical Liberal .. But you know if a Conservative would have done this to a Liberal .. I’m Sure the comments on here .. Well i can just Imagine what they would be..

Liberals are Insane .

1. Realist says:

Conservatives are more sane? How so? Michele Bachmann is my congresswoman, so please explain to me how she is even remotely sane.

18. st paul says:

I am sure this guy hangs out at the Saloon on Saturday nights….

And probably will when he’s 50 because he likes to touch little boys.

1. James says:

st paul, like you like to touch little girls? get a grip and let go the stereotypes. boring, boring, boring.

19. st paul says:

Oh but everyone should applaud him – he’s making a difference!! LMAO
    What an underachiever……..

Yeah and you know for a fact, if it was a gay politician and someone threw fruit loops and said some gay line, it would be all over the media!!!!

I’d like to be that person- because I am gay… and I am a republican – and I don’t talk with a lisp or walk around flailing my hands everywhere, or say things like “uh, like oh my god!”

I too hate fairies. And I don’t support the marriage idea.

1. eastside_evil says:

It isn’t up to you to support or not support it. If you aren’t gay, it isn’t even your place to comment.

By the way, what should be done with gays? Honest question since you are appalled by their very existence in YOUR state.

1. st paul says:

Yeah re-read my comment moron.

1. eastside_evil says:

I re-read my comment. I don’t find the “moron” name to be applicable. Must you name call?

2. Realist says:

I think your comment is BS.

1. st paul says:

I think you can blow me. I am gay – and I’ll make you choke.

2. Striaght Pride World Wide says:

If one threw fruit loops on a gay….it would be a Federal Hate Crime…..but my neighbors (chicks) who fly a replica of the American flag….only it is done in the gay color of the fruit loop rainbow……well thats ok….thats not hateful….but if I were to go to their yard and pull the gay flag down….you know the flag that disrespect this country….well …..that would be a Federal Hate Crime…….Federal Hate Crime really means “forced diversity and acceptance” of those you disagree and or dislike…..I love the “new” America…..

1. v says:

No…. ripping down their flag would be considered vandalism. We live in a free country. Free to fly a fruit-loop flag, free to burn the flag, free to express ourselves. Ask a veteran. Fighting to preserve freedom does NOT come with an asterisk. (*only when I agree with it).

1. free............NOT says:

better read the patriot acts
          you ain’t livin free no mo

1. v says:

You’re always welcome to live in other countries.. with other forms of government. I’ve done it. Have you, free…… NOT? Give it a whirl. America is flawed, because we are a nation of people, and people are flawed. However, the foundation this country was built is still in tact. Again, I welcome you to try another way of life. You might change your tune.

2. Realist says:

If you don’t like it, you can always leave.

1. eastside_evil says:

Realist, who are you talking to and what point are you making?

Who should leave?

1. Realist says:

How about you look at the parent to this thread. Scroll up to “To much silliness”

How about you settle the &$%# down and realize you actually have an ally here.

2. Realist says:

I also invite you to look at my other comments.

1. eastside_evil says:

I was asking for clarification. Nothing more. No judgment was being passed. I apologize if you misunderstood my comment. I should have been more clear perhaps.

2. Dissension = Patriotism says:

Realist- Somewhere a KKK meeting is missing you.

1. Realist says:

So because I support gay marriage and equal rights, I am a KKK member? Please explain.

2. Realist says:

Did you even bother to search for my other comments before you posted your incredibly ignorant comment asserting that I am a bigot? Are you really that stupid?

20. eastside_evil says:

Hate Crimes? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Wait. Were you being sincere?

21. eastside_evil says:

What should be done with gays?

By the way, most of Minnesota doesn’t want to ship gays out of the state. Some of us think they’re actual people with hopes and dreams and moms and dads and friends…

1. Citizen says:

@eastside. I think the GOP wants to round them up, brand them with the scarlet letter “G” and either put them in a camp or tie them to a stake. They seem to be such an incredible threat to Republican family values: like committing adultery, and serial marriage, and fathering illegitimate children. LMAO. I just hope the voters don’t forget all this nonsense come election time.

1. Realist says:

I’m a centrist, and I have yet to find anyone from the GOP that has any values I personally agree with in regards to gay marriage and equal rights. I will remember this come election time.

1. st paul says:

Uh… really?

So how about Clinton when he was going to allow gays to serve openly… then it was don’t ask don’t tell… yeah that really helped.

All any politian wants is votes.

22. Citizen of Minnesota says:

Soupy Sales would have thrown a cream pie!

23. Cindy says:

Classy Nick, throwing ferry dust makes you seem normal enough I guess we should just let you marry your boyfriend

And Newt – come on the flamer carrying a purse and wearing suspenders attacked your wife, a real man would have dropped the filthy sodomite with one punch.

1. eastside_evil says:

Why do you care if he marries his boyfriend or doesn’t?

What will happen to your life and relationships if he does?

1. Cindy says:

What will happen is next he will want to “marry” a child or an animal or who knows what, I don’t care to find out.

1. eastside_evil says:

Cindy, that is not the issue here, and that is not being suggested.

I asked you two simple questions. Will you please respond?

1. half the story says:

The Creator cares……………………….
            end of story

1. eastside_evil says:

The creator cares not about someone being gay. If there’s a creator, he’s FAR more concerned with the judgmental hatred being perpetuated in his name against his children.

2. Realist says:

This fantasy land you live in… does it have rides?

3. south mpls says:

this is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard..but what’s funny is most men that “love” little boys are the ones that are married and most likely to women like you

4. Jim says:

Cindy, you’re an idiot and a filthy bigot.

2. st paul says:

What would happen to him if he married any guy period? Nothing. So what difference does it make to marry?

Only the #1 fact – most of these same sex relationships are in and out anyway. Most relationships don’t last more than a couple years anyway!
        I used to work in these bars – I know the trend. A lot of promiscuous activity!

1. eastside_evil says:

I have bartended in bars too. Not gay bars. I know the trend too. A lot of promiscuous activity.

What was your point again?

1. evil lose in de end says:

all people is evil,
            get the point????????????

2. Realist says:

“most of these same sex relationships are in and out anyway.”

Are you suggesting that hetero-marriage is any better?

“I used to work in these bars – I know the trend. A lot of promiscuous activity!”

And that’s somehow different from any other bar?

1. st paul says:

Uh, yeah because there are SO many straight women that just hook up with guys… do you have any straight friends man? seriously?

All my friends are straight – and it’s not like it comes as easy as walking into the saloon.

1. eastside_evil says:

It did for me when I was single.

My straight friends had no problems finding a willing female partner on virtually any given night.

What’s your point? If someone is promiscuous, they shouldn’t get married?

2. James says:

Gee Cindy, how novel inflicting violence upon gays real or percieved. he made a point, and it was harmless. New forced his dying wife to sign divorce papers so he could marry a younger woman all for the sanctity of marriage and death till you do part. really, what a class act. she was dying. what a jerk. what a filthy self righteous, self engrandizing, duplictious jerk.

1. Cindy says:

You’re right Newt is a jerk and not much of a man, just like I said. If he was a real man he would have popped the glitter thrower a good one for daring to throw anything in the direction of his wife.

1. Jim says:

Like most Republicans, Newt needs others to do his fighting for him. Republicans like to start fights, not participate in them.

24. wondering says:

What to do with Gays…I didn’t think we had to “do” anything with them. Let them get jobs, buy houses and live and love like the rest of us. I have a few family members who are gay, and I really don’t think anyone who met them could tell them from my straight relatives..because they do all of the above.

25. v says:

Hate gays? Because their different? Typical bigot pseudo tough-guy. I bet you hate blacks, Jews, Mexicans, Asians… and anyone who doesn’t guzzle Miller Lite wearing camouflage and a mullet. Real strength is accepting those who are different.. for they’re secure enough in who they are.

1. not lost people all of us says:

medical literature says they are one of the biggest groups
      for: alcohol, drug, suicide, depression…………………secure?
      there is an empty place inside when God does not dwell there.
      they be tryin to fill that empty space.

1. v says:

Secure people are one of the biggest groups for alcohol, drugs, suicide and depression? You may want to return your book.

As for gays? Well…. all oppressed and ostracized people fall into those categories, for they have to live and endure among the bigots and haters.

As far as God is concerned… judge not lest ye be judged.

2. eastside_evil says:

Not because they’re gay.

Because straight people persecute, harrass, and torment them while treating them like 2nd class citizens.

Imagine someone telling you that the way you are is an evil choice that they need to stop choosing. I mean wow.

26. IWonderIF says:

@ MN is a Joke – Most of us here in Minnesota HATE people like you!..

1. v says:

Don’t hate “MN Is A Joke”. Feel sorry for him. He’s insecure. He wakes up angry at himself and chooses to take it out on those who are different. Like racism, these thoughts/beliefs are taught. He was most likely abused by someone who passed these useless insecure thoughts on down. It’s a disease.

27. v says:

While harmless, this is nothing more than a publicity stunt. What’s scary is that he could have just as easily been carrying a gun. A gun that Newt says he has the right to carry. I look at these posts, and shake my head. So much emotion over a small, harmless little demonstration. The country is in financial crisis. The earth is dying. Children are starving. Radicals are plotting our demise… and THIS is what gets peoples pants in a bunch? Unbelievable. One day, our children’s children will be standing among the rubble wondering how it all fell apart. Gee…. I wonder.

28. Todd says:

Newt is a saint. What with all the wives, cheating, stealing and guess what? Because he was “speaker of the house” he gets an office with six paid employees, paid for by the taxpayer, for the REST OF HIS LIFE. On top of free health care (which they claim Americans have no right to) which makes my $480 a month policy look sick and a very generous pension. What a great country to have a taxpayer funded office to run your campaign out of. If we want to cut expenses why don’t the politicians start looking at their own world.

1. wondering says:

He was elected and as many unsavory members of both patiesof The house and Senate ..he gets the perks. If you want them get yourself elected.

29. Realist says:

“I wonder if the gays understand that most of Minnesota wants them to move to California”

What’s your source? Just because you feel that way doesn’t mean most people in this state feel the same way. You do understand that… right?

“I just pray this little light footed mexican throws some glitter on me……the last thing he would remember would be his face plant”

Respond with violence… great solution. I wonder if you will feel the same way when you are charged with assault?

30. Bobby says:

Forget about political parties for a second…here is another example of some idiot making Minneapolis look bad.

1. eastside_evil says:

Bobby, I disagree. This is another example of gays refusing to allow Republicans to sweep them under the rug and stifle their rights. What will the Republicans want to ban for gays next? Gay sex? Will they come into homes and haul people off too? Being gay in public? Will dressing too sharply get you arrested soon?

1. Bobby says:

So throwing glitter on Newt Gingrich changed gay rights somehow?
        Be gay…no one cares. Where you get the haters from is when people act like this. Just go about your life being gay, stop the parades and the “flamer” act and the hate will go down, respect will go up.

1. eastside_evil says:

Let them have the right to marry. You can’t shove them in the closet and tell them to not be in public. It doesn’t work that way.

Throwing glitter on someone who is outspoken about restricting gay rights is a statement. Nothing more. It needs to be made and will be made again, and again, and again, and again until you stop trying to restrict the rights of American citizens.

1. Shaun says:

I agree with Bobby. It’s petty. Like that guy who threw a shoe at President Bush. Did anyone really take that guy seriously?

And, no, I’m not a Bush supporter.

31. James says:

Yes, violence in the typical reaction to turn gays straight. Typical. Yawn.

32. ohoh says:

Just another gay bully. I had a garment ruined by that silver confetti, where should gingrich and his wife send the cleaning bills?

1. eastside_evil says:

Where should Matthew Shepard’s parents send his? I understand blood and brain matter is very difficult to remove from fabrics.

Who’s next on the hit list?

33. WHAT????? says:

“Minnesota…..voted the #1 gay city in the US”
    When did Minnesota become a city? I missed that memo.

1. Shaun says:

I think it was probably a typo. Minneapolis is the gayest city in the country.

2. Shaun says:

I think it was probably a typo. Minneapolis is the gayest city in the country.

I tried to post this as a reply and it went to the end of the comment string. Oops!

34. Steve says:

We see what the GOP stands for…big business…the wealthy…and …and…and…?

35. Allah Loves Tasty Virgins says:

Someone should have face planted his arse to the ground…..gave him a reason to drool on his glitter…….When did this fine state turn into some putty of diversity garbage?