Twins Release Details Of Killebrew Funeral

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Minnesota Twins released official details of the ceremony that will honor the life of Twins legend Harmon Killebrew on Friday.

Killebrew died Tuesday after being diagnosed with esophageal cancer last December.

The funeral will begin at about noon Minnesota time in Arizona, where Killebrew died. The Minnesota Twins happen to be in Arizona this weekend for a series with the Diamondbacks. Not only will the team attend the service, but several current members of the team will be involved in it.

Pall bearers for the funeral will be Rod Carew, Paul Molitor, Tony Oliva, Frank Quilici, Michael Cuddyer, Justin Morneau, Ron Gardenhire and Joe Nathan.

Dr. Don Wilson will give the opening prayer. Wilson is the pastor of Christ’s Church of the Valley in Peoria, Ariz.

Family and close friends of Killebrew will also provide reflections on one of the most popular players in Twins history. That reflection list includes Ray Looney, a childhood friend, Killebrew’s grandson Eric Queatham, his son-in-law Craig Blair, his daughter Shawn Blair, his grandson Todd Killebrew and Bert Blyleven. Cam Killebrew, his son, is scheduled tentatively to speak.

Watch for complete coverage of the service as it happens live on Friday at about noon. WCCO-TV will carry it live, and it will also be live on WCCO-TV Sports Director Mark Rosen will also be reporting live From Arizona on Friday.

1. Robbie Ole says:

rest in peace harmon you were a great role model watching you at the met

2. Harmon Killebrew fan Mpls. says:

God bless our Minnesota Twins hero!!!
    He never bragged about being good, he just showed us!!!
    He had class, style and took care of his wife and kids.
    Please leave a comment for the Harmon Killebrew family.

We all love you Harmon!!!

3. N. Kissner says:

In a time when kids have to search for heros, we only had to look for #3 in a Twins uniform. Thanks, Harmon.

4. Barry S. says:

He was the very best! Bought me breakfast when I was 11 years old with Tony Oliva and Zoilo Versailles. Afterwards he gave all of us an autographed baseball and tickets to a game! All you could eat pancakes were 77 cents in those days! He will be missed!

1. wondering says:

What an absolutely wonderful memory to have. He would never be replaced…character like his in sports now days is not easy to find.

5. Mick Karch says:

God bless the greatest of them all.

6. Gloria says:

I’m so glad that it worked out the Twins are in AZ anyway. It seems ironic and that it was meant to be. How wonderful that so many current players can also participate in honoring Harmon.

God’s blessings to his family and friends. Wish I could have met him.

7. Tbone says:

Harmon will be with the Twins and all MLB players and fans as his likeness is the MLB Logo. I think he just hit a homer out of Heaven….RIP Killer.

8. Sue says:

Harmon Kilebrew was my childhood hero. I remember going to the met stadium and seeing Harmaon hit homeruns. After one of his homeruns I went down and bought a little bat with his name on it. A few years ago he was in Rochester and I went and brought my little bat, and he signed it with the number of homeruns he had hit. And got a picture of him with me. He will be missed by many. My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.

9. CHAD A. CARLSON says:

10. Elaine F says:

To the family sorry for your loss of your loved one but think of it this way when Harmon went home he is up there doing the fight and hitting home runs for us all. Harmon you will be missed.

11. Marlene Lorsung says:

Just watched the memorial for Killebrew on TV….what a great tribute to a great person & ball player who I loved watching play for the TWINS. My sympathy to his family. “Eternal Rest grant unto him O Lord & Let a Perpetual Light shine upon him”