North Minneapolis Begins Painful Recovery

By Bill Hudson, WCCO-TV

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — It’s hard enough to imagine the sheer terror of a passing tornado, when you’re safely hunkered down in a basement. Then try to comprehend the fear going through Ronald Crossland’s mind when, just a block from his North Minneapolis home, his vehicle came to a jarring stop.

“When you look at the truck I’m thankful to be alive actually,” Crossland said.

For the past five years, the former state transportation worker has been down on his luck. Just when it seemed it couldn’t get any worse, along came Sunday.

“I lost my vehicle, I’ve been out of work since 2006, you know, but I am thankful I guess,” he said.

He’s thankful because he came whisker close to certain death. While driving his 1999 Cadillac Escalade Sunday afternoon, he saw the approaching weather and was trying to return home. Just a block from reaching Vincent Avenue, he thought he was about to lose his life.

A giant ash tree crashed to the ground, scoring a direct hit on Ronald’s vehicle, crushing the cab like a mere pop can.

When asked if he had time to be frightened, Crossland said, “Yeah, not knowing it at the time but yeah, I probably was.”

Fortunately for him, he instinctively pressed the button and reclined the driver’s seat, giving him more room to move. That’s when a neighbor helped him crawl out to safety and to a scene of utter devastation.

“I didn’t feel no glass, like on my face when I got home. I had some glass in my shoe, but none in my eyes or in my hair,” he said.

That giant ash tree was just one of hundreds, perhaps thousand of trees uprooted and snapped off in the storm. Around the corner and down the street, a group of three Minneapolis firefighters were pitching in on their own time.

Kelly Anderson was one of them.

“We saw the area needed help and we work in North Minneapolis. We’re part of a crew that’s been here for years. Part of our civic duty is to help the community and our neighbors,” he said.

Now, chainsaws and chippers shroud a four-mile long swath of the city in a symphony of unwelcomed racket. Volunteers, neighbors and city crews are clearing away debris that has turned lives upside down. But for one man at least, Sunday’s tornado has made Crossland a believer that luck can change in a heartbeat.

“I thank God I’m alive, thank God I’m alive,” he said.

At 21st Avenue North and Queen lives another storm survivor. She feels just as lucky as Crossland and with an equally harrowing story to share.

“I was numb, I’m still numb,” Nancy Coleman said.

Coleman was coming down from her second-story staircase when suddenly, the north side of her home was literally ripped apart.

“I was standing right above where it started to go off,” Coleman said.

She had been working in her second-story office when she decided it was time to head downstairs. She didn’t get any farther than the staircase when the entire side of the wall disappeared. That force exposed Coleman to a whirling sea of debris.

“I wasn’t thinking of anything. It was like, extremely quick and very violent. And I’m still picking grit and stuff off of me,” Coleman said.

Now with no power, residents like Coleman have to find temporary shelter. The storm scored a direct hit on Xcel Energy’s main distribution lines. Hundreds of power poles are toppled or badly listing and powerlines are down everywhere you look. More than 100 line crews will be working around the clock to restore power to the four-square-mile area.

But the job promises to be both tedious and slow.

“First we have to get access, bring in heavy equipment, then drill holes and plant poles and finally string the conductor. Could be a day, two or three — it’s hard to say,” said Steve Roalstad, Xcel spokesman.

Residents know that restoring power is the first step to rebuilding their shattered neighborhoods.

“Yes, there’s a lot of work that needs to be done, and we ask this community of us to come together,” said resident Helen Lawler.

Mayor, Officials Talk About Tornado Damage Plans

Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak said city crews are clearing debris block by block and tallying the number of homes damaged by the tornado that killed one person and injured more than 40 others.

Speaking at a storm-damaged neighborhood early Monday morning, Rybak said reports of widespread looting are false. The mayor says one liquor store was looted right after the tornado hit and there were a few burglaries overnight, but nothing widespread.

Rybak also praised how North Minneapolis handled the emergency situation. Read that story here.

Meanwhile, other officials got a first-hand look at the wreckage. U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison, Mayor R.T. Rybak and other city leaders went on the morning tour.

“I think that you’ve all seen from the pictures of this area that there were a lot of houses and businesses that were twisted and turned in this tornado,” said Klobuchar, at a news conference. “But it’s more than that when you visit with the families at the family center their lives have been twisted … and turned upside down.”

She said that they’re already looking into getting federal assistance from FEMA and that they were already on the ground doing assessments. She says Minneapolis might be eligible for up to $6.9 million in federal disaster aid, as well as individual and small-business loans.

“The people of the neighborhood are resilient,” said Ellison. “I’m confident that we will rebuild this community and we will be better than ever before.”

“In the six months, a year, that it takes to rebuild this beautiful community,” said House Speaker Kurt Zellers, “we will be here for you, just like we always have been.”

Local food vendors help feed tornado victims

Slideshow: Twin Cities Tornado Damage

Slideshow: Aerial Images

WCCO’s Liz Collin Reports On Looting Incident

Neighborhood Damage

When the tornado smashed through neighborhoods on Minneapolis’ north side, it damaged at least 100 homes. The storm also toppled tall trees into houses and downed power lines.

Crews are in the area Monday, making repairs, clearing roads, fixing downed power lines and gas leaks and assessing the damage to buildings.

Police spokesman William Palmer says off ramps from Interstate 94 to north Minneapolis will be closed until further notice to reduce traffic in the damaged areas.

Officials said it is necessary to prohibit all access to a block until each block is considered safe. Once a block is OK, residents can enter the area through one of the designated checkpoints. See the checkpoints and read the Minneapolis Police Tornado Response Plan.

WCCO’s Holly Wagner Reports On Mpls. Damage Assessments

Injuries And Evacuations

Floyd David Whitfield, 59, of Minneapolis, was killed in the storm when a tree fell on top of his car at North 37th Avenue and Fremont Avenue. The Hennepin County Medical Examiner said he died as a result of blunt force head and neck injuries.

North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale reported treating 42 people, including 20 that were brought in by ambulance. They said none of those injuries were serious. On Monday, only two people were still being hospitalized.

Hennepin County Medical Center had four victims from the storm that were treated and released.

Approximately 200 people stayed at the Red Cross temporary shelter overnight at the Northeast Minneapolis Armory.

Monday morning, volunteers are addressing physical health and mental health concerns, as well as making sure families have necessary items like diapers, formula and medications.

Local corporations, including Target, are stepping up and donating items for families. The shelter will continue to provide meals all day to those in need.

The Salvation Army is also assisting and set up three mobile kitchens in St. Louis Park, Fridley and North Minneapolis. Read more about the victims of the tornado.

Need Help? See The Resources Page.

Seven schools in north Minneapolis were closed Monday because of the tornado. They are Lucy Craft Laney, Cityview, Nellie Stone Johnson, Hmong International Academy, Plymouth Youth Center, Urban League Elementary and Northstar.

Patrick Henry High School, North High School and Folwell Elementary School were open for anyone needing food, water and shelter.

All Fridley Public Schools were also closed because of the tornado.

The North Memorial Clinic, Camden Physicians, in Minneapolis is closed until further notice because of damage. Patients with appointments are being referred to the clinic in Plymouth, Minn. on the corner of Rockford Road and Highway 169. Click here to see closures.

Power Outages

Xcel Energy said they now expect to restore power to most of the thousands of customers who lost service in Sunday’s storm by Wednesday night. Xcel had originally thought it could have power to its by Monday night, but it had underestimated the extent of the damage and the time it would take to fix it.

Xcel said 22,000 customers in the Twin Cities lost power at the height of the storm — with north Minneapolis, Golden Valley, Brooklyn Center and Fridley hardest hit.

Xcel urges people to avoid downed power lines and says that it is not safe to drive over them.

By 9:30 a.m. there were 11,035 people affected, including the areas of Wisconsin that were hit by the storm.

CenterPoint Energy Concerns, Advice About Gas Lines After Tornado

CenterPoint Energy is advising its customers returning to their homes in North Minneapolis to not attempt to turn on their gas if it isn’t working.

If your gas is not working, call CenterPoint Energy at 1-877-477-1664. Again, do not attempt to turn on the gas yourself.

The company is also advising its customers that if they smell gas in their homes, they should leave immediately and tell others to do the same.

For more natural gas safety tips, see CenterPoint’s website.

1. Mike Hawk says:

This is truely the worst thing that’s happend to Mpls. in a long time. It’s heart breaking. What I’d like to know is why my girlfriend & I watched a tornado touch down on the channel 5 news, near Forest Lake at 3:12 pm yet the sirens didn’t sound in Forest Lake until 4:20 – 4:21. This to me seems totally unacceptable & some one needs to be held accountable.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

Technically, they reported that wasn’t a tornado touching down, it was a funnel cloud. The video footage was MNDOT’s cameras. The news could not confirm it was a tornado.

Who should be held accountable? Do you think there’s a guy in an office, fighting off sleep, whose only job is to hold his finger over the siren button and wait until it’s time to push it? Come on. Who is accountable?

2. Joe Hanson says:

Where’s Senator Franken?

1. geezer says:

Taping SNL??

2. JP says:

Why in the world do all you people have to turn this into a political “bashing”? What does Sen. Bachmann or Sen Franken have to do withe the tragedy in Minneapolis? Get a life! Go help someone instead of criticizing.

1. Sharon L Robinson Hambley says:

Since when is Bachmann a Senator (she wishes)…!!!!!!

2. Good Ol Boy says:

There is no such person as “Sen. Bachmann.”

3. Crystal Charley says:

SenatorFranken is in Washington DC protecting the interests of the working people. Meanwhile our legislators, while complaining about government being involved in private lives and worrying about the economy/jobs, spends their time trying to slam their religious views down everyone’s throat and does nothing more than “tax cuts for the rich” and shafting the poor/middle class.

1. Linda says:

47% of the population needs to start paying some federal taxes.
      STOP TAKING, TAKING, and TAKING.. it is NOT my responsibility to pay for someone else’s mistakes or laziness.
      Fix the tax code SO EVERYONE PAYS TAXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Reasonable says:

Approximately 80% of the people that don’t pay federal income taxes are the elderly and the disabled. The elderly already worked, raised you, paid in to Soc Sec/Medicaid/etc… and did their part. The miniscule amount of fraudulent welfare recipients will serve to ruin everyone else because the focus on them skews the reality. A few rotten apples spoil the bunch indeed!

1. Linda says:

You really think welfare fraud is small? HA! Do unicorns talk to you? Does money grow on trees in your world too.
          Geeze and we wonder why America is slipping.. right here..

2. ellie says:

Just about everyone does pay taxes. If they buy something, they pay sales tax. If they live somewhere, they pay property tax (yes, even renters, who pay at a higher rate than homeowners). If they buy gas, they pay gas taxes. If they have a job, they pay SS taxes. The part of the population that does not pay INCOME taxes are those who don’t have jobs (have you heard of children and seniors? or maybe the unemployed?) or whose jobs pay so little that there’s not much to tax. If you have a good job that puts you into the bracket that pays INCOME taxes, then you should be thankful and stop complaining.

1. Linda says:

I will quit my job, get a lower paying one with less responsibility so that my new friend ELLIE will pay for ME!

Luv ya!!!

3. HG says:

I sure don’t know what taxes and Franken has to do with any of this! I think all of you political complainers should get a life and stop complaining! This story has NOTHING to do with taxes, jobs and the economy!

4. Citizen says:

This is the type of disaster when all of us can truly appreciate and thank the public employees who are on the job practically 24/7. The firefighters who are doing rescue work and monitoring natural gas leaks. The police who are also doing rescue, keeping the streets safe, and containing looters and more. The Salvation Army feeding people and providing shelter. The Xcel crews trying to restore power. Public and private partnership working together. But, especially, we need to remember and thank these public employees for their sacrifice during this natural disaster AND NOT LISTEN to the Rethuglicans who seem to think their dedication and service is superfluous and that they are expendable and too highly paid.

5. linda says:

I love it looting a liquor store…. enough said

1. Ven says:

ESAD – you are what’s wrong with the world

6. Sgt. Sissay says:

Dayton, was there yesterday…what sort of pathetic moron are you people? Trying to blame your ignorance on someone whose only job was to improve your disjointed lives. Lies and trickery, republicants does it best

7. Carol says:

What the h@#l does this have to do with politics anyway ? Can’t you people for once put aside your mindless bickering and come together and pray for the people who were victims of this terrible event ? The topic here is about a terrible storm that devastated a community. Keep your political rhetoric to yourselves.

1. navehm says:

Amen and totally agree with you. For the folks spewing their political rhetoric:.Better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. Just shut up.

1. Jude says:

Then there’s the looting. Let’s just step over these bruised and battered victims for that free bottle of booze over there. Wouldja get your bloody body out of my way, there’s a TV in that building I just gotta have. Sick! Sick!

8. navehm says:

Hats off and God bless all of the public employees who are busting their butt have been since this happened. Thanks for all that you do!!!!

9. The friendly elf says:

My wife is a Red Cross Disaster Responder and was on the scene shortly after 5 p.m. Why no mention of the Red Cross in these articles?

10. Anna says:

My friend came home yesterday to help out with the damage . I am thankful that there are people like him who are heroes. The world today needs people like him🙂

11. theleolady says:

TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!! I thank him for keeping me and my family safe, we had just left out of N.MPLS. My fathers house was not touch but I do know lots of ppl that lost everything. MPLS born and raised, lets get out and help them that need it. The lord still has his arms wrapped around us!

12. Dale Gribbl3 says:

Of course they are claiming that reports of looting are false! PC journalism and government censorship strike again!!! The public can’t handle the truth!!!

1. Jason says:

This is true. My house is about 12-15 blocks from major destruction. I heard more than usual gunfire. How widespread I dont know. Curfew was put into action, that tells me all I need to know.

1. Dale Gribble says:

FEMA teams were in action last night, directing the MPD’s mop-up of pockets of resistance. Even now the area is off limits to citizens. Bad business afoot in there.

13. Todd W. Olson says:

Kurt Zeller says that he’s there for them. Oh, wow, I can only imagine what sort of relief plan the GOP has for North Minneapolis. One way Greyhound tickets?

14. James says:

Okay I don’t know why you need to bash wcco for that. get a grip. you act as though they are covering nothing

15. jeff says:

One way Greyhound tickets back to Chicago or Gary Indiana works for me.

Also, I love how on the looting report video, the there is a “We accept EBT” sign in front of the liquor store. LOL.

1. st paul says:

2. jeffery says:

You’re a loser…would you say this bs if people knew your full name…probably not! I bet you’ve never even been to north minneapolis…keep your stupid ass comments to yourself!

1. criticism much says:

Hey Jeffery. Or is it Jeffrey?
        Anyway- Yeah I grew up in North Mpls. I know the neighborhood VERY well, and had to move away from there.

Here’s the truth about MPLS. Back in the 70’s-80’s… EVERYONE knew each other.
        It was beautiful. Nobody locked their doors because we all trusted each other.
        Everyone on the blocks all associated with each others kids. We had block parties.
        Were involved with the church… it was great.

Man that welfare shed a huge light on Minnesota.
        By 1988 things started to turn for the worse. By 1989 it was time to go.

16. jlynn says:

We love you North Minneapolis. We pray for all those affected by this disaster. We pray for all those who are providing security, shelter, clean up.

You are strong people and you will get through this, just like you do everything else.

Praying for you all.

17. Elaine says:

Chaley—Salvation Army is mentioned under injuries/evacuations, the 7th paragraph, read the whole thing before you comment.

18. Missy says:

They talked about it on the news this am….just not on the website

19. Jason says:

Spot on. Couldnt have said it better myself.

20. Avery says:

As a resident and teacher in North, its not the “thugs” I’m afraid of. Most violence is committed by stupid kids who simply need to be loved and find identity. I’m afraid of the police that racially profile my friends and students because they are black, or because they look like “gangsters”. It’s the police who shoot our youth, raid our homes without warrants, and drive 70 mph down residential streets and through our parks. For now, we should be focusing on healing our community, not stereotyping it…

1. Organize! says:

Racist police keep North Minneapolis down. There will be a candlelight vigil tonight on Broadway for the most recent victims of police brutality in last night’s reign of terror. We stand with the communitiies of color against the occupying army of the MPD.

2. Good Ol Boy says:

“It’s the police who shoot our youth”

False. It’s the youth who shoot your youth.

It’s black on black crime. Period. Don’t try to LIE and call it something it most certainly is NOT.

1. Avery says:

@Good Ol Boy They murdered Fong Lee, then planted a weapon on him from the Police impound…

1. Good Ol Boy says:

Avery, I personally know members of the MPD involved with that situation, and I have to tell you that you don’t have the slightest clue what you’re talking about, in regards to Fong Lee, or how he was thankfully taken out of society. It’s offensive that you’re suggesting the Mpls Police are bad, but Fong Lee was good.

1. Organize!!! says:

Just another KKKlan supporter of the MPD spouting his racist filth. The people united will never be defeated!!!

1. Good Ol Boy says:

Sorry, but you don’t get to call me a KKK supporter. Your comment is being reported.

1. Organize!!! says:

If it walks like a duck…

1. Good Ol Boy says:

And it doesn’t. You, however, are so dripping with bitter racism, it’s pathetic.

2. Organize!!! says:

And you LOVE black folks, don’t you, GOB.Why, I bet some of your best friends are black, right? And you don’t have any problem with them, at all, least not the good ones that know their place and don’t get all upitty. Nothing worse than when they get all upitty…

3. st paul says:

Hey, it isn’t white people causing segregation… look at what has happened over periods of time in different communities.

For example Minneapolis.
                  Crime came, and drove out the whites.

There most certainly are awesome black people, as there are hispanic, asian.. ect.
                  I have friends of all color, but they don’t walk around with their pants around their ankles, or walk into traffic, or wear stupid gold necklaces with $ logos, or flashing signs at me with their hands. They don’t make me feel uncomfortable to be around. They call me on the phone invite me over, make me laugh, don’t rob me, don’t lie to me…

There’s a difference.

4. Good Ol Boy says:

Not just some. My very best friend of the last 25 years of my life.

The “know their place” and “get all uppity” parts were lost on me. I don’t even know what you’re trying to insinuate with that. I’m positive it’s not accurate.

5. convoy says:

She gun get up in yo grill and cook some steaks.

2. Organize! says:

It has been demonstrated that virtually ALL of the shooting deaths of people of color in Minneapolis have occured at the hands of the MPD and then subsequently covered up. Already this year at least 6 shooting fatalities of people of color have been traced back to the MPD. Racist police out of Minneapolis! The people united will never be defeated!!!

1. Good Ol Boy says:

“It has been demonstrated that virtually ALL of the shooting deaths of people of color in Minneapolis have occured at the hands of the MPD ”

False. That has never been “demonstrated.”

2. yep says:

I am wearing a tinfoil hat today too.

21. Jeff says:

Last night’s reign of terror? What reign of terror? The tornado was caused by the Minneapolis police? You must be drinking too much malt liquor or smoking too much crack.

1. Avery says:

@Jeff – Police are often over zealous in patrolling our community (and communities of color in general). The tornado caused a lot of damage to my house and many houses in the community. The police exacerbated the storm and its damage last night by coming to help clean up the downed trees with riot gear, machine guns, and mace. The drinking/smoking crack comment is inappropriate and uncalled for. In fact, downright shameful. I would wager that your response has more to do with denying police brutality because it causes you cognitive dissonance, than it does with your honest confusion.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

The MPD does not have machine guns. Thanks for playing.

1. Organize!!! says:

What do you call H+K MP5,s GOB? Maybe you’ll give the textbook NRA response that they are submachineguns, but I think the general public can be excused for not knowing the difference. And the MPD uses H+K MP5s.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

Maybe you’ll be obvious and make it clear you don’t know what a machine gun is.

Oops, you just did.

Street cops in MPLS do NOT have MP5s. Sorry.

1. Organize!!! says:

No, but the ERU does. And the ERU was there, in full gear, with their MP5s. Just like Avery described. And I’ll say it again: you’re splitting hairs when it comes to weapons. 90% of the public doesn’t know the difference between an MP5 and an MG34 (I picked a nice Nazi machinegun, because I’m sure you’re famililar with it), but I do. Don’t be such a buffoon.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

So which is it? The Minneapolis Police or the Response Unit?

Was the response unit really there to help clean up the downed trees as you claimed? I don’t think so. And again, thanks for playing.

1. Organize!!! says:

The ERU is a police unit, GOB. You’re splitting hairs again, and you aren’t even doing it properly this time. In any event, contrary to your delusion, I”m not Avery. And I do believe that there may have been some sarcasm intended in his description of the police’s activities that night. But that was probably lost on you…

2. Good Ol Boy says:

In other words, you wanted to make a really hard-hitting statement about the cops showing up with machine guns and dragging downed trees away, but you failed because I called your lies out.

Don’t blame me that you couldn’t garner sympathy with truth.

22. Pennagirl says:

This tragedy pales in comparison to tragedy in Joplin, MO…89 DEAD, thousands homeless.

23. HERB says:

This is what happens when you strip infrastructure funding to areas that are necessary for the public safetyThe siren system was probably one of those programs that TPaw “needed” to cut to provide the millions in tax breaks for his “too far right, think their right” corporate campaign contributors.

Governor Dayton should executive order a “FEE” (thanks for the tip T’Paw) of 80% on any earnings above one million and an 80% “FEE” on campaign contributions over $1000. Let’s get some of these outrageous amounts into the State coffers to actually work for the people who do the work that make these companies and individuals wealthy. The money had to come from somewhere, usually a product that is produced by their workers. Corporate executives don’t make anything, they just manipulate and take the money that comes in from the labor of others.

24. Disabled Vietnam Vet says:

Sorry to see this comment section has turn into grip session. Spare us!
    Horrible that some of the have not folk have even taken it on the chin again.
    Our Elected official need to see for themselves how bad it really is out there and sure enough, there is an actually a Natural Disaster. Of course most have insurance, sorry for the folks that were hurt, seems we have lost how to take cover.
    Can someone please tell me when we are going to stop Bush’s War of all Wars? This is certainly only helping the richer and speculators and our situation of Weal and Woe.
    Another Disabled Vet

25. Georgia Dawkins says:

Thestory isn’t even ABOUT POLITICS PEOPLE!! Goodness, can we just be humane for a minute? I thankg God for those out there taking care of the Northside- and I pray that the victims get shelter and food and clothes and their life restored. Northside, we❤ u..

26. Paul says:

Most of them no insurance. Most of them don;t work Most of them voted for Obama. You know who will pay for the clean up and rebuilding. Enough said.

27. Jeff says:

If you and your people cannot stand the presence of police who are trying to protect your community, then I will be more willing to pay for a plane ticket for you to go back to Africa.

1. Avery says:

@Jeff – If you don’t like when communities demand Justice in a country that promises it to us, then maybe you should go back to wherever you came from… Europe perhaps? … Sound like a weak argument and a sad way to support your belief system doesn’t it. Perhaps you should consider that we are all immigrants and that many African American families were here before many European American families… our right to security and justice is no different than yours.

1. Organize!!! says:

The “relief” response to the North Minneapolis is part of The Plan to destroy communities of color and gentrify property for the profit of white landowners. We stand against this form of real estate driven genocide. The people united will never be defeated!!!

28. gadzooks says:

Yeah that’s it. It’s not that you’ve trapped yourself in a self destructive subculture, it’s the police that are “keeping you down.” No one is keeping African Americans down but themselves. North Minneapolis is a painful reminder of this. It will take a lot more government money to get these folks back OFF their feet again.

29. Good Ol Boy says:

Did anybody notice that the man who was almost crushed in his vehicle had been out of work since 2006 (5 years) but is driving a Cadillac Escalade and has been down on his luck?

30. Jeff says:

FACT: 30% of all African American men are in prison in the U.S., yet they only make up 8% of the total population.

FACT: There are more black men in prison than in college.

FACT: 65% of violent crimes (non-murders) in the Twin City metro area are committed by African Americans.

FACT: 85% of murders in the Twin City metro area are committed by African Americans.

FACT: 6 out 9 of the FBI’s Most Wanted in Hennepin County are black men.

So I guess, according to you, not only are the Minneapolis police racist, but so are every police department in country, the FBI, the Court Systems, the Prison Systems…..and since there are more black men in prison than in college, I suppose every college is racist too.

Keep smokin that crack, gurlfriend!!

1. Organize!!! says:

I’d say that the fact that a wildly disproportionate number of African American males are in jail is excellent evidence of widespread racism in the US injustice system, yes. And yes, the police, the courts and the rest of the civil government, including the schools are racist. Your own statistics demonstrate that.
      The people united will never be defeated!!!

31. yep says:

I bet we stop hearing about this very shortly.

32. Jeff says:

Well, at least the Welfare Department isn’t racist.

An excerpt from

“Then we decided to consult The New York Times EBT/ Food Stamp map. Guess what we found? The map shows Hennepin County (where Minneapolis is located) to have a population 9 percent of which people are on food stamps. White people make up 2 percent of those on food stamps. Forty-seven percent – yes, we said 47 percent! – of Black people in Hennepin County, Minnesota, are on food stamps. That Black people are roughly 13 percent of the county shows which group requires the bulk of the federal help when it comes to eating (not to mention the free lunch program for Black students).

In neighboring Ramsey County, 49 percent of Black people are on food stamps as compared to just 4 percent of whites while 12 percent of that county’s overall population receives foot stamps.”

What wonderful contributing members of society your people are!!!

1. Organize!!! says:

Yes, institutional racism prevents people of color from achieving full employment, forcing them to rely on welfare and public assistance. Further evidence of the racist culture of the USA. Thanks for the helpful statistics.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

I don’t see the people in the ghetto trying for any sort of employment AT ALL. I see them sitting on their steps, and standing in front of stores or on the corner. What I don’t see them trying to do is “achieve full employment.”

33. mpls sux says:

Sorry but lets just use an example here…

Why is it, that Detroit, is as bad as it is?

How about the fact that in certain parts of Detroit, medical attention/fire & rescue get shot at when driving through?

So then, you tell me “organize?”…

34. Jeff says:

I wonder how many white people are on welfare in Africa?

35. Jeff says:

I did a Google on “How many white people are on welfare in Africa?”

And the results page said:

“Sorry there are no results”
    “Did you mean ‘how many African Americans on on welfare in America?'”

36. we're supposed to help?? says:

Let me see if I have this right. We are supposed to band together and help those people
    in north Mpls. First question, did you see any of them helping other people in other locations
    that have suffered similar destruction? Answer no. Did you see the vast majority helping in
    their own neighbor hood as seen on numerous local TV video? Answer no. So if we are
    supposed to go over their and help, that would then leave our neighbor hood vulnerable.
    I would bet that if you went over there and locked your car up that it would be broken
    into and anything not tied down or welded to the frame would be gone. Now guess who
    I am talking about here. Its not the white people that live in the area but you know who……
    I saw countless white people removing trees and clearing the streets but where were the
    blacks? Just standing around with their pants down to their knees doing what they do best
    which is nothing.