Bite Of Minnesota: Herb Gardens
In preparation for the long weekend, I put together my to-do list and a top priority is planting. After a visit to the farmers market and Shady Acres Herb Farm last weekend, we have everything we need to start our container garden for the season.
It’s quite easy to maintain an herb garden as long as it gets enough sunlight and water. Here are a few of my favorite ways to use herbs from our container garden:
• Caprese Sandwich: Slice tomato, buffalo mozzarella and basil. Serve on a baguette drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper.
• French Fries/Sweet Potato Fries: Chop herbs and combine with olive oil. Toss with fries before baking.
• Herbed Cream Cheese: Chop herbs and combine with cream cheese. Serve on a toasted bagel.
• Garlic Bread: Add parsley to butter, minced garlic and shredded Parmesan cheese. Spread over French bread and broil 1-2 minutes.
• Herb Salad: toss leaves of parsley, basil, cilantro, oregano and thyme with vinaigrette.
• Herbed Vegetables: Steam green beans or your favorite vegetable. Toss in chopped herbs.
• Tea: Steep herb leaves in hot water for 7-10 minutes. I use chamomile, basil, or lemon verbena. Fill a spray bottle with cooled tea to use as a face spritzer. Store in the refrigerator for extra refreshment.