1 Killed As Boat Sinks On Lake Vermilion

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) –– Authorities are investigating after a boat loaded with seven people sunk on Lake Vermilion in St. Louis County, killing a 29-year-old man.

The St. Louis County sheriff’s office says that at about 3 a.m. Sunday deputies received a call of a water emergency on the lake near the Forest Lane Resort in Greenwood Township.

Two people in the boat swam to the resort. Four others were rescued by owner of the resort and brought to shore. They told deputies they were traveling from the Bayview Resort when the boat suddenly took on water.

The county rescue squad recovered 29-year-old Casey T. Gilbertson, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The department did not immediately release Gilberton’s home town.

Comments

1. cosmicwxdude says:

Life Jackets?

2. Paul says:

Steve… you must be perfect. Either that… or a perfect jerk. Even if what you’re saying is correct… your comment is not needed. Not even a little bit. Especially less than 24 hours after the incident.

3. Rita says:

What a person does is their choice . Although stupid choices do have consequences !!

4. The Iconoclast says:

Unfortunate… And I would be willing to bet my next paycheck that Steve is an arrogant, elitist jerk.

5. renee mcallister says:

steve…what a jerk. you dont even know if the boys were drinking or not. are you always this insensitive or do you just want attention. I take that back.. you are not a jerk , you are a full pledged Ahole

6. Skunked Again says:

What kind of boat sinks now days?Don’t they all have level flotation? Was the boat rated to carry seven people? 3 a.m.? Another tragic accident where things just don’t add up. Looks like some poor decisions were made.

7. Torey Gilbertson says:

You’re right. Things didn’t add up. That was my cousin and there were extra people on the boat because they had just helped some other people who were having trouble with their boat. I’m going to believe what I’ve heard rather than what I can pessimistically imagine from a short article. I’m also going to remember my cousin for risking and losing his life to help save the others.

You will be missed Casey, but at least you are reunited with your mother now.

1. Alissa W. says:

Torey- I am sorry to hear of your families’ loss.. Gibby was a great guy that will be missed by many.. Everyone knew him and I always saw him smiling and having a good time. My thoughts are with your family and the friends of Gibby..
      May he rest in peace