WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-red01, ww color red

Latest News

Choking Game Turns Deadly For 13-Year-Old

(credit: CBS) Rachel Slavik
Rachel Slavik joined the WCCO team in October of 2010 and is thrill...
Read More

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

By Rachel Slavik, WCCO-TV

MAPLE GROVE, Minn. (WCCO) — A Maple Grove couple is hoping to raise awareness of a dangerous game following the death of their daughter. Thirteen-year-old Paige Klick died last week and her family believes she was a victim of the choking game.

“Paige was a go-getter,” said Wade Klick, Paige’s father.

Paige seemed to have everything going for her. She was a cheerleader, an honor roll student and a popular kid at Osseo Junior high.

“I mean, all-American, ideal girl,” said Deb Klick, Paige’s mother.

When her father found her Monday in her bedroom closet, the family wondered why she would take her own life.

“She didn’t exhibit the behaviors for suicide,” said Deb Klick.

They would soon come to believe that Paige didn’t commit suicide. They think she became the victim of a dangerous game.

“I’ve never known to have a talk to any child about choking themselves,” said Wade.

Listed on G.A.S.P. (Games Adolescents Shouldn’t Play), a website dedicated to raising awareness of the choking game, Paige’s parents made a connection to her recent behavior.

“I would find robe belts with knots in them. I thought it was a nervousness thing,” said Deb.

For Deb and Wade, the cause of their daughter’s death became all too clear after looking at the website.

“We are just identifying so much with this website and all the things that they say,” said Deb.

The Klicks also realized there was a likelihood that Paige probably didn’t start this habit on her own.

“All these kids are doing it. Most of them are getting lucky enough that they’re not dying, but they’re killing their brains every single time they do it,” said Deb.

Listed in her obituary is a clear message for other parents. The family asks to please visit www.gaspinfo.com to bring awareness to your communities. The hope is that Paige’s death could also save a life.

“I didn’t know to have that talk,” said Wade.

The choking game allows kids to get a high. They often think because they aren’t doing drugs or drinking, it’s not causing any harm. However, according to G.A.S.P., brain damage can happen within three minutes.