LAKE CITY, Minn. (WCCO/AP) — A 50-year-old Lake City man has drowned in Lake Pepin after he tried to rescue his Irish Setter, but was knocked out by an electrical shock.
The Post-Bulletin of Rochester reports the Goodhue County sheriff’s office received the call about noon Saturday. It happened on the north side of Lake City.
Sheriff’s officials say friends and family got Brian Eugene Harwick out of the water and tried to resuscitate him, but he died at Mayo Clinic Health System’s hospital in Lake City.
“I suppose he seen his dog in trouble and didn’t think twice about what was happening,” said Randy Gerber, a friend and neighbor of Harwick’s.
Harwick was at a family home on the lake when his dog ran into the water and swam over a boat lift and received an electric shock. The dog began to sink.
Harwick then went into the lake, was shocked himself and went unconscious.
(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)