Marriage Amendment Supporters File To Raise Funds

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A group that supports amending Minnesota’s Constitution to prohibit gay marriage has filed paperwork needed to begin raising campaign donations.

Minnesota for Marriage filed late last week with the Minnesota Campaign Finance and Public Disclosure Board. The group includes the Minnesota Family Council and the Minnesota Catholic Conference and other religious and secular organizations.

The Legislature voted earlier this month to put the definition of marriage in Minnesota’s Constitution to a statewide vote in November 2012. Voters will be asked if the constitution should define marriage as between a man and a woman only, as it’s already defined in state law.

Opponents of the proposed ban are expected to form their own campaign groups.

Comments

1. Julio Roque Sr says:

We don’t need to vote on that. It is obvious that the marriage is only between a man and a woman. Even a child can understand this simple concept. It is common sense. why to spend money in dealing with nonsense things. Let’s be productive not lazy.

1. Jim says:

It is obvious that marriage is a social institution, and we make of it what we will. Your “common sense” doesn’t make much sense to me. I think any two consenting adults should be able to get married, regardless of all else.

2. Good Ol Boy says:

It’s obvious? Then you should have no problem demonstrating the “obvious” ramifications of gay marriage, right? So let’s hear them.

Also, if it’s so obvious, wouldn’t you then also say it’s obvious that the reason you feel the way you feel about marriage is because you feel being gay is “wrong?”

So, if it’s wrong, how long will it be before you want to make it illegal to be gay?

3. WHAT????? says:

Julio Roque Sr
      Is it just like the “common sense” that the world was flat a few hundred years ago? Wake up and look at a calendar, some things change and if you cannot change with them you may want to get out of the way.
      All of you that say they should not be allowed to marry are just like the bigots who said that blacks could not marry because they were not “citizens” as well. How about we go back to women not being able to vote because “it makes sense and even a child can see this”? I pity the small minded narrow view that you all have of the world being black and white (and I mean “black and white” being what you think is right and wrong).

1. Jim says:

Julio, read your first post slowly, and then your second. I’ll wait…

See? They’re completely contradictory. So you either have a very short attention span, are just trolling this story, or someone hijacked your name.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

Jim, I’m not going to flame you for your mistake, but you made one. These were two very obviously different people with different names. No offense, but pay attention.

1. Jim says:

Oh, I get it. The person put “Julio Roque Sr” at the top like that’s who was writing it. I was confused about how someone could change their opinion that quickly. LOL. Thanks.

2. double what says:

comparing destructive behavior to anti black racism is an insult to all black
        people. Everyone has the right to marry and reproduce provided they are naturally equipped to carry out such objective. Two men or two women result in the extinction of the human race. Nothing natural is possible for them.
        Why should we promote things that make no sense?
        Suicide rates, drug abuse, alcoholism, violence, depression etc. are through the roof for people who deny the natural order of things. Check the legitimate
        medical literature. How about, we use common sense and stop playing games?
        Time will prove that gay lifestyle is the sort of thing that flat Earthers were.

1. Jim says:

What an ignorant post, double what. Gay marriage will result in the extinction of the human race? That’s a joke, right?

How about we use common sense and stop playing games? In a generation (or less, hopefully) those who opposed gay marriage will look as backwards and foolish as those who opposed civil rights and interracial marriage do now.

2. WHAT????? says:

double what
          Way to take a point and run with it so far that you yourself do not know where they started. You may think I insulted blacks everywhere, but from where I am sitting there was no insult and I have others that sit here as well. If you are dumb enough to think that allowing a few people in our society to marry is going to be the end of the human race because those few cannot have kids I cannot argue with you, there is no arguing with crazy and that is as point blank as I can get. There are people that are having kids when they are 13 years old now days and you think the world is going to stop when gays can marry? WOW!!!! How many billions do we need to know you are full of sh!t on that one? That might be the dumbest talking point I have seen in a while.

3. WHAT????? says:

double what
          That is 1 of the dumbest things I have ever heard. So comparing gay marriage to the same type of control that idiots wanted to do to black people such as the no interracial marriages is being racist???? You may want to look up what that word means as this is the 1st time that I have ever heard of comparing an apple to an apple is racist. Either that or you are so ignorant and blinded by your hatred of things you do not understand (gays) that you cannot see your argument is flawed and you somewhat argue my point (and I know you are not trying to do so). So maybe next time you post you might want to write it down and read it a few times before you post it as you may need some editing and WCCO will not do that for you as they barley do it on their own stories.
          I am not going to even touch how stupid the “Two men or two women result in the extinction of the human race.” as you should see what I could say by reading it again. It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

4. Anitarose Brockman says:

Suicide, drug abuse, alcoholism, violence and depression are the result of denying natural in-born inclinations and identity.. this is KNOWN fact. Marriage is not a right to reproduce, but is a lifetime commitment to honor, love and cherish another person through through sickness or in health, richness or in poverty or whatever else life can through at someone. It is the absolute lack of acceptance of Christians Catholics, whatever.. that screams of hypocrisy and denial of Jesus teachings.. that which is to love. Love is an act of acceptance.

5. Mr. M says:

Not sure if you noticed but the planet is becoming over populated and with that, resources are becoming more scarce. Jobs, food, basic clean water. It’s a FACT.

6. markH says:

“Suicide rates, drug abuse, alcoholism, violence, depression etc. are through the roof for people who deny the natural order of things.”

This is pure casuistry-nothing else. How could you prove that alcoholism, violence, etc are the result of those who “deny the natural order of things”? How do you define “the natural order of things”? Do you see what I’m getting at here? You need to take a course or two in logic and critical thinking-there you will be instructed that 2+2 does not equal ice cream. Peace.

4. Stace34 says:

As a child I understood that my first grade teacher and the gym teacher (both women) were “married”. No one told us that, we just knew. Not one of us saw it is wrong or weird. No one was ever hurt by their relationship. All we understood as children was that these 2 people loved each other. Again, no one told us this, but you can see two people in love. So children do seem to understand that when two people are in love they get married. The only time a child sees anything wrong with a loving marriage is when others tell them it is wrong. So your argument is false, over simplified and wrong.

1. Mr. M says:

Fully Agreed. Thank you for sharing this insight. What is wrong with two humans loving each other? Why would a religious group want to suppress love? Unless they really don’t stand for love themselves?

5. jim says:

actually, it’s common sense for two people who love each other to get married … gender shouldn’t have anything to do with it.

and

if it were “obvious” this discussion would never happen anywhere.

2. Rich says:

Is this why Minnesotians are called “Twinkys”, or is this just due to their baseball team? Either way, what a moniker..LMAO

1. Jim says:

LOL. You’re an idiot.

3. Mike says:

Each and to his own. If I personally don’t want to have a ‘gay marriage’, I simply won’t have one. I have no right to tell two consenting adults how to love one another or to take away their right to a union based on their own belief systems that in no way shape or form takes away my personal rights. Plus, isn’t this a religious group trying to push their own religious agenda? Isn’t there a seperation between church and state? I’ve noticed other states that have leagalized marriage or even other countries and they haven’t self imploded or fallen apart. I say, in the end, let God judge. Not the religious nut jobs. Maybe if some of these so called religious and holy people were a touch more enlightened, they’d realize people are just souls that have incarnated into a human experience regardless of the organs between their legs. Cannot two souls simply live a live of love?

1. Tom says:

@Mike

Isn’t it amazing how that works! Social Conservatives think that gays are trying to force their views down their throats. Well what do Social Conservatives think they are trying to do with gay marriage and other Social issues? I don’t think that Social Conservatives will be happy until the rest of us sees the world like they do, but the rest of us aren’t that NUTS!

1. Anitarose Brockman says:

It is all about human rights to be free and to choose and to love. It is not about forcing any views on anyone… but the right to live in happiness which is a guaranteed constitutional right. It is religious groups that are forcing their definition of what they think marriage is and not accepting of what anyone else believes.

1. Mike says:

What is wrong with two humans loving each other? Why would a religious group want to suppress love? Unless they really don’t stand for love themselves? We are just souls regardless of the sex organs between our legs, no? Isn’t that what most of the religions keep telling us… that we are souls?

2. mike, live and let live says:

“I say, in the end, let God judge.”

Yah, shure, you betcha!!

………………….He already has!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you————– just don’t realize it yet.

1. godmakesyoubad says:

@Mike, live and let live
        What a judgemental imaginary friend you have. I’m glad I don’t believe in such nonsense, as it seems to be corrupting your integrity. Any such being that breeds hatred towards fellow man, is not a being worth believing in.

1. Mike says:

It’s OK. I don’t mind different points of view or opinions. There is some truth to it and I believe more so that after I disincarnate from this body that I will be the one who judges my deeds more so than from another being. I will see how I could have improved or what I did really well or how I wasn’t selfish and helped others or how I didn’t suppress others based on my own personal beliefs or perhaps how I did and didn’t even realize it. In the end, I believe I will be more of a judge to myself then incarnate again with different experiences to try and perfect my soul. Honestly, it’s all good. (wink)

1. markH says:

Mike- I believe you are referring to Cartesian Dualism here, and it has been discredited for the past 300 years. The fact is, we don’t HAVE bodies, we ARE bodies. All medical evidence suggests that our thoughts, consciousness are the direct result of brain activity-when it dies our bodies die also. It doesn’t harm me if you want to believe that when you die an invisible soul floats off your body somehow and continues to have experiences and retain its previous life’s memories, just know that there is no evidence whatsoever for this nonsense. Peace.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

“Amen”

LOL

2. Mike says:

Clearly you haven’t had an out of body experience. I have had several so yes, this is true and very real, but for you, obviously not. If you like, there is a lot of inforation on the web about OBE’s from peopel all over the world. I hope you get to have one in your lifetime since it opens you up to so many wonderful realizations.

Peace, Love and Light 🙂

1. Good Ol Boy says:

Out of body experiences can be triggered in your brain. Doctors have reproduced these in controlled experiences for YEARS.

They aren’t a situation where some inner soul of yours detaches itself from the earthly plane.

What it “opens up for you” is up to your own interpretation. Some people spend their lives searching for a mere glimps of “the meaning of life” and it appears you have decided that is what your experience was.

That doesn’t somehow mean you are an authority on what happens when a person dies or anything else. Sorry. You see and hear what you want to see and hear because it bolsters the opinions you ALREADY HAD.

1. Mike says:

Doctors can reproduce OBE’s? WHO!!!??? Please tell me. I’d love to find a Dr. who can do this for me. It was AMAZING. I’ve been trying many techniques now for some time. Once it worked through a technique but otherwise it’s just spontaneous for me. I feel so wonderful during and after it happens though. True, it was my experience… more than once and I did question if it was real many times but after the second, I knew when I came in direct contact with another energy being. Truly amazing and wonderful. Please, if you know any Dr. or person who can recreate an OBE, I’d be very appreciative to find out.

4. Tom says:

Who cares who walks down that aisle? Apparently the social conservatives do! They feel they have to stop it at all costs. What a joke!

1. Jim says:

Jobs, jobs, jobs?

2. Mr. M says:

I care. I think it would be great that two humans… two souls share a bond out of love. Especially in a world of horror and torture and pain. Anyone who opposes this, also opposes love. How sad.

5. Raoul says:

Raoul

Before anyone votes they should read this article by Ruben Rosario from the Pioneer Press:

6. llp says:

Isn’t Newt a Social Conservative who told his wife lying in the hospital with cancer that he wanted out of their marriage? STAY OUT OF OTHER PEOPLES LIVES AND LOOK AT YOUR OWN.

1. Ben says:

And that was just ONE of his wives!

7. GOPSUX says:

If you don’t like gay marriage, don’t marry a gay.

8. Mr. M says:

I just sit back and laugh at those who live through their little egos thinking they have to “Be God’s Enforcers”. I guess it gives them some sad meaning or purpose but what they don’t realize is all the hurt they do to others. It gets back to those who push religion or religious beliefs onto others. I mean where does it stop? Now they try and push bible laws onto State laws. Isn’t it set up so there is a seperation between church and state? I’d think it pretty cool if Joe and John or Sue and Sally want to get hitched. Doesn’t affect me or inhibit my life in any way. If it’s the beliefs of the gays to have a marriage, then it doesn’t affect my personal beliefs nor do I have the right to push my beliefs onto them. Isn’t all just about human respect for one another? These religious people are pushing their belief system onto others. How sad.

9. Jack says:

I guess all the folks commenting don’t recognize their own hypocrisy. You’re all treating conservatives the same way you claim they treat gays — you’re rude,mocking and telling them what to think (that they SHOULD be in favor of gay marriage.)

The matter is simple. Some people are for it and some people are against it. We all have the freedom to be on either side of the issue and vote our consciences. To belittle conservatives (or for conservatives to belittle liberals) is 100% pure hypocrisy and, in my opinion, invalidates that person’s opinion. The vote will decide the matter.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

Jack, why should anybody CARE if you’re against gay marriage?

Are you planning on getting one? No?

Then stay out of the debate because it doesn’t affect you, buddy.

1. Jack says:

Of course it affects me. It affects everybody. For you to tell me to stay out of the debate (especially when I was merely pointing out a fact) is hypocritical. You’re trying to silence and suppress me and my beliefs. That’s exactly what this issue is about – fighting for rights and beliefs, isn’t it?

Also, notice something else I said that’s true. Look at the responses I received. I wasn’t rude, unkind and neither did I attack anyone for their beliefs. (For the record, stating a negative fact isn’t an attack.) I stated facts. But, like I said, the people commenting here (to people of opposing views) are being rude and telling them what to do. And I thought liberals were fighting AGAINST being told what to do in this matter. Can you see the hypocrisy? (By the way, I did mention that conservatives also get rude. I didn’t lay that solely in the laps of the liberals.)

2. Jim says:

“To belittle conservatives (or for conservatives to belittle liberals) is 100% pure hypocrisy and, in my opinion, invalidates that person’s opinion.”

I disagree. In my opinion the conservative position that it’s OK for a man and woman to get married but not a man and a man is discrimination, plain and simple, and discrimination should be belittled wherever it’s found.

“The vote will decide the matter.” Discrimination should never be voted on. I don’t want my civil rights beholden to 51% of the population.

1. Jack says:

It’s not discrimination. It’s a belief system. Everyone is entitled to theirs.

2. Jack says:

I understand what you’re saying, Jim. But, where does “discrimination” end? The way that term is thrown around, everybody can claim discrimination when they don’t get their way. There are always going to be at least two viewpoints to anything considered discrimination.

“Discrimination should never be voted on. I don’t want my civil rights beholden to 51% of the population.” Then you don’t like democracy. Even the liberal politicians have agreed for this matter to be decided by the voters. Also, it’s actually NOT a civil right for two men (or two women) to marry. Where is that listed as a civil right?

1. equality over tyrrany says:

@Jack
          “Then you don’t like democracy”
          Actually…the form of government where the majority gets to vote on other people’s rights (though not actually being affected by the outcome either way) is known as an Ochlocracy…not Democracy. Ochlocracy is otherwise known as “mob rule”.

1. Jack says:

@ equality over tyrrany – Democracy means the majority rules. That’s what this vote is about. Whatever the majority vote for, that will be what they get.

3. Mike says:

Why are the conservatives so negative? Why is their mission about SUPRESSION of others. Don’t we ALL like to have the same OPTIONS in this country with some basic freedoms? So it’s fair to give one group the option of marriage but not another group? Lets start taking your rights away one by one and see now YOU like it.

1. Jack says:

Then answer this: Why are liberals hell-bent on suppressing the beliefs of Christians? I’m not trying to argue. I’m merely pointing out, factually, that acceptance goes both ways.

2. Jack says:

This is why Political Correctness, in itself, is both impossible AND hypocritical. You CAN’T please everyone. Everyone CAN’T be right. If it’s politically correct for gays to believe they should be able to marry, then it’s also politically correct for Christians to believe otherwise. The Christian lifestyle is to stand up for what God stands for and to be against what God is against. The Bible is clearly against the gay lifestyle. There is no picking and choosing what you like and don’t like out of the Bible. If someone’s a Christian, they accept all of it – or they’re merely making up their own religion that isn’t Christianity. See my point?

1. Mike says:

BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE IS A CHRISTIAN … we live in a country where we all have freedom of religion.

1. Jack says:

Yes, you have freedom of religion. And no, not everyone is a Christian. That’s why the matter is being put to a vote. Just because not everyone is a Christian doesn’t mean that Christians and conservatives can’t vote their consciences, too. Christians have freedom of religion, too. And, since this country was founded and established by Christians who believed in living by God’s laws (and thrived on it), Christians also have the right to vote to continue those ways until the majority take them away.

And, don’t worry. Biblical prophecy says that the majority of people WILL turn against God and refuse His ways. That’s already beginning to happen.

1. Mike says:

Wow, you seriously have a skewed perception on things. It’s the religious nut jobs who pushed for this to be a vote. The great thing is that it could totally backfire on them.

2. Mr. M says:

Hope this helps. You might like what you find out if you do some more research on your Christian religion.

1. Jack says:

This is the problem, Mr. M. People like you who are entertainment driven and think Saturday Night Live-type parodies are funny and educational have dumbed down America. It must be so because you call this un-politically correct, hypocritical, hate speech, bigotted and lying trash an “education.” It’s sad that this is what YOU call “research.”

My initial comments are still true and not a single person here has taken the time to refute any of my points. (I’ve refuted every point directed at me.) That happens when all over the internet when people don’t have a leg to stand on. They turn to mocking, hate speech and turn down spiteful bunny trails. In other words… hypocrisy.

1. Gosh Golly says:

Well gosh Jack, did you even watch the video? You sure like to spout off about “God says this and God’s rules and the Bible says… blah blah blah” Are you feeling a bit self righteous? You don’t even see how brain washed and programmed you are but with all of your comments you keep twisting things as if you sort of agree but then jump right back into religion this and religion that. Um, and just so you know, the bible was written by man, not God. Men wrote the bible and it’s been MANipulated over the years. I simply don’t wish to have your rule book enforced on my way of life or my friend’s way of life. Stop and look at why Christians need to enforce a rule book. It’s rather rediculous.

3. Jack says:

Here’s an explanation of Civil Rights from Cornell Law – “Examples of civil rights are freedom of speech, press, and assembly; the right to vote; freedom from involuntary servitude; and the right to equality in public places.”

The African American fight for the end of slavery was a fight for civil rights. Marriage is not a civil right.

1. Jack says:

My apologies, this reply was meant for Jim in the comment above Mike’s.

2. James says:

Maybe not, but 515 laws in MN, and 1046 Fed laws give you what? RIghts and legal equality. I see gay people. They’re not equal in public places, and most of the planet.

1. Jack says:

@James – I have to give you this, James. You’re the first person who has been man (or woman) enough to address any of my points in your comment, much less concede to it.

As far as equality goes, gays are equal. They have the same rights as anyone else who is bullied or tortured. They have the right to live in peace and choose their own lifestyle. They can sue an employer or landlord for discrimination. They have the right to not be harassed. I don’t tolerate anyone being harassed and will step in no matter who it is. We all have the same human rights. But, when it comes to marriage, it’s not a right for ANYONE. As I said earlier, I am against gay marriage for reasons of my faith and that IS my right. It doesn’t mean I hate gay people because I don’t. I am standing firm in my faith, no matter what the cost because God’s laws trump the laws of man every time. I (as we all) will answer to God Himself one day and we won’t have anyone else to stand up for us. No lawyers, no “but everyone else…” Nothing. Just me facing God. Just you facing God. With that in mind, I will obey Him.

3. Julie says:

If your statement is correct, Jack…
          Then only Christians can be married lol

Get your head out of the sand.
          It is my RIGHT to marry a woman if I want to.
          (I am a woman)
          I am not Christian either so stop shoving your Dogma
          down my throat before it gets hit by someone’s KARma.

4. llp says:

NO just stay out of someone else’s life. I couldn’t care less what they do just don’t tell me what I can or can’t do. Goes for all politicians

1. Jack says:

So, what you’re saying is that there shouldn’t be any rules, standards, guidelines, laws or constitution? All of these things tell people what they can and can’t do. If everybody did what they wanted to do, without interference from anyone else, society would implode.

1. Julie says:

Seperation of church and state, my non-friend.

You claim to be against gay rights/marraige because it is against your faith.
          Your faith has no place in politics.

Period.

5. James says:

Jack, you won’t be voting on yourself. What a great and smug smile you must have with the privilege of deciding for me. To vote on a person as if they were a road tax or something. Wow!

1. Jack says:

You don’t want me to vote on something that affects you but it’s okay for you to vote on things that affect me? Who’s smug? Certainly not me. You haven’t even asked me how I feel. You’ve typed out your own words about me and declared them to be true. Hypocrite. This is an issue that deeply affects me and causes me great sadness. I’ve spent a lot of time in prayer on this issue and it hasn’t been for anyone’s hurt. Isn’t this what YOU’VE been fighting against – having people treat YOU this way? Shame on you.

1. Just Curious says:

OK well tell us. How do you feel? You’ve been spending time on prayer and it affects you and causes you great sadness how? How does a gay marriage cause you sadness? How can a unity of two humans who want to live in love cause you sadness? There is so much torture and pain caused in the world… actual blood shed by horrific people, but you are all chocked up and sad about two people wanting basic rights to have a union in love? Why does that sound totally F’ed up to me?

6. Mr. M says:

Hi Jack. Good points and you are right, we all need to make sure we aren’t pushing our own agendas onto anyone. But keep in mind that the liberals or gays aren’t trying to suppress another group. The conservatives are. This is a peaceful, kind, caring group that is a huge help to making society a better place that is asking (and how sad they even have to ask) to not be suppressed but to have the basic rights as others,…. a union out of love. The conservatives and religious groups are trying to suppress this. It really hurts a lot of people. Good people. Suppression of love isn’t a good cause to have. There are so many larger and more important issues in the world so why do the conservatives push others down? It’s a form of bullying. The gays are truly the victims here.

1. Jack says:

Mr. M. – I agree with you on points. I don’t think gay people are evil and I whole-heartedly that gays have done great things in the community. But, a mistake you’re making is lumping all conservatives together as having an agenda and lumping all gays/liberals as “peaceful, kind and caring.” That’s just not true. Many conservatives are conservative for the wrong reasons. For reasons of spite and stubbornness. They don’t want change and act like grumpy old men who must have their way. But true Christians (I say TRUE because not everyone who calls themselves a Christian actually IS one) aren’t like that. On the flip side, liberals very much DO have their own agenda that they try to push on others. So do many in the gay community. In fact, they’ve worked together to create teaching curriculum for KINDERGARTEN children to ensure they’re taught that “gay is ok” without regard for ANY parent’s feelings. That group DOES have an agenda to suppress Christians. They demand tolerance, acceptance and the belief that their lifestyle is legitimate and true yet this group of people REFUSE to give that same courtesy to Christians. THIS is what I’m talking about. Who’s the true victim there?

I don’t hate gays. But, if someone DOES hate a certain group of people, unfortunately, they DO have the right to.

7. Ben says:

There’s a difference here, Jack. While the people on here might be belittling conservatives, at least they’re not blocking anyone’s ability to make choices with their own life. Smaller government indeed!

1. Jack says:

Ben, I understand what you’re saying. I really do. Sadly, there is no pleasing everyone because the belief systems and lifestyles of people groups are vast and differ wildly. All any of us can do is fight for what we believe in. I don’t blame anyone for that. Actually, I respect people who don’t just “roll over” and accept everything thrown at them. This is the way the American judicial system is set up, by the vote. So, that’s how this issue must be decided. There’s no getting around that.

It’s a simple matter really. Everyone will vote their conscience and the results will be known and mandated. That won’t change anyone’s belief system but it will dictate how society will officially regard the matter.

10. David R... says:

Marriage between a man and a woman is only a religous aspect, nothing to do with the secular society…..only when the Church changes their rules/laws will this issue be resolved.

1. Sandra says:

Totally True…

A Marriage is between a Man and Woman, let’s leave it at that. All couple should receive the same benifits, and we’re done!

1. jim says:

while we’re at it, lets leave all the other oppressive and rights-limiting legislation alone as well … that would mean we go back to slavery being legal and women would lose the right to vote as well. how’s that sound?

1. llp says:

Sound’s like the TEA PARTY

2. Jack says:

Where is marriage a right for anyone? You’re comparing marriage to the fight of African American’s for freedom from involuntary servitude and torture? That belittles their struggle. This is NOT a civil rights issue for anyone. You need to learn what civil rights actually are. Here’s a definition from Cornell law: “Examples of civil rights are freedom of speech, press, and assembly; the right to vote; freedom from involuntary servitude; and the right to equality in public places.”

1. equality over tyrrany says:

@Jack
            Then perhaps it would be okay if we let gays decide whether or not YOU can get married…since the Cornell bible doesn’t consider marriage a civil right for anyone.
            …although I would consider the suppression of gay marriage to fall under the “equality” section…but that’s just me

1. Jack says:

@equality over tyrrany – It’s obvious that we don’t agree, don’t you think? It’s highly unlikely that either of us will change the other person’s mind. So, I’m willing to agree to disagree and let the votes be counted. Even the result of the votes isn’t going to change anyone’s opinions or belief. It will simply mean that the majority will get their way.

1. Sad Panda says:

This wouldn’t even be put up for a vote if the religious nut jobs didn’t try and push this issue. What’s even more rediculous is that it was done at a time that more important issues should have been addressed. How sad. I feel bad for the gay community now. I hope they win their basic rights.

2. stace34 says:

People get marriage licence from the state not the church. So it is not strictly a religious issue. There are also churchs such as the one I attend that do conduct sams sex marriages, yet the state still discriminates against these marriages. So it is not up to the church to change civil law. It is up to us to stand up against discrimination.

1. Jim says:

I’d support the state not sanctioning gay marriage as long as it also does not sanction marriage between a man and a woman. Since marriage is a religious issue, as people have said, then let’s get government out of the marriage business altogether.

1. Good Ol Boy says:

My marriage isn’t a religious issue. Why is yours?

3. Keep it simple says:

David R…………………you kidding?

Marriage between a man and a woman is the only way to do it.

All other combos are for some other purpose. Not natural child rearing.

1. v says:

Hate to break it to ya, Simple… but you can procreate without rings and a ceremony.

2. Good Ol Boy says:

@Keep it simple

My marriage is not for the purpose of child rearing.

4. Jack says:

God created marriage and ordained it to be between a man and a woman. As the Creator of both people and marriage, He pretty much gets to define it. People can distort it, break it, spit on it, re-define it, etc., but, in the end, it can never change the fact that God created it and He doesn’t change. Just because a certain church might accept everything about the gay lifestyle doesn’t mean that it’s okay. They can’t rewrite scripture. It’s like you not liking the law that says you must drive 55MPH and get a group of your friends together and say, “That infringes on our rights and the law can’t tell me what to do so we hereby declare that driving 90MPH is acceptable.” The law hasn’t changed and the lawmakers wont’ be in agreement or in accord with you. You’ll still pay the penalty for breaking the law.

1. James says:

Which God? Muslim, Mormon, Pagan, which one? Yours? In the public arena which is secular, your God is yours. And, the freedom you deprive of others comes back to deprive you. And you wonder why?

1. equality over tyrrany says:

Right on James…just because the imaginary boogyman that Jack believes in discriminates against gays, doesn’t mean that we need to LISTEN to what he says his boogyman says.

1. Jack says:

@equality over tyranny – You’re right. You can call God whatever you want to make yourself feel better about your rebellion. And you DON’T have to listen to Him. That’s your decision. But, as with my illustration, there are consequences for every decision we make and we will all own those consequences whether good or bad, by the choices we make. You’ve made yours.

1. Julie says:

Jack, your gawd is a fairy tale, and my Many Gods and Goddesses are real.
              TO ME.

You are the typical small minded Christian who belittles the faiths of the Many who are not Christian. When you become accepting that there are many faiths that people adhere to, maybe people might actually take you seriously lol

2. Jack says:

Call it what you want but there is only ONE God. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The God of the Bible. You have chosen not to believe. That’s your choice. God doesn’t force Himself on anyone. He will even allow men to decide that gays can marry and have it declared “legal.” But, as my illustration points out, it doesn’t change who God is and what He declares. Men, including you, will answer for your choices. I’m not forcing God down your throat. I’m telling you the truth. What you do with it is up to you. And, later on, the voters.

1. Julie says:

That is your opinion, Jack.
            Your god is not mine.
            Plain and simple, no matter what you think or say.
            You say your god doesn’t force himself on anyone, but then why should he when he has people like you to forcibly shove it down the throats of the many?

Yours is a religion that used to cook people like me on big wooden stakes.
            Yours is a religion that just decimated the Native Americans, and pretty much stomped their heritage into the ground. Pretty bad when you get beat for speaking your own language.

People like you make me sad, because you just can’t let the fact go that there are people that actually don’t think your particular god is real no matter how far back the MAN made/written bible goes back to.

It all boils down to the fact you are so staunchly against gay marraige is because it ruffles your religious feathers and there again, we have seperation of church and state.

Just because your religion says it is wrong isn’t good enough.

1. Mr. M says:

FACT: The horrible truth is that, numerically and statistically speaking, Christian Civilization is the bloodiest and most violent of all civilizations in all of history, and is responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths.

2. Mr. M says:

Jack, that is but only one rule from the Christian bible. There are MANY other rules that we simply don’t live by anymore because they are outdated and/or simply illegal. Do some more research buddy. The truth is out there.

1. Jack says:

Mr. M. – The Bible isn’t meant to be read and taken one verse at a time, but in context and relation to what was going on. For example, non-believers love to throw around that we shouldn’t be eating shellfish or pork because it was forbidden by God. And it was, during the time before Christ for reasons that God gave. Animals were also sacrificed at God’s command. Again, before the time of Christ. After Jesus came, died and rose again, He fulfilled those laws and new ones were given.

It’s all a matter of context and actually knowing what the Bible says. Not just throwing a verse around the room like swinging a cat by the tail.

3. Mr. M says:

This might help.

4. Sad Panda says:

“Just because a certain church might accept everything about the gay lifestyle doesn’t mean that it’s okay. They can’t rewrite scripture.”

Um…. scripture HAS been REWRITTEN many many many times over… by MAN. Even the Catholic church shifts things and changes teachings to keep up with the times of society.

Jack, you are rather preachy dude. Does this all make you feel righteous? Do you get a little bit a high thinking you are right by saying what God wants and what God doesn’t want? You’ve learned all of this but it only makes it true for you alone, not others. let it rest bro.

11. Curt says:

This is all about the Social Conservatives trying to force everyone to live by their standards. Who believes that bringing that anti-gay, punk rocker, ex druggie pastor, to deliver the opening prayer, just before the vote on the amendment was an oversight? There will be money pouring in from all over the country to support this amendment. Remember how much money the Mormon church spent in California? Adding an amendment that puts discrimination into our Constitution is just so wrong on so many levels. This is more than just social engineering, it’s an attempt to force controversy between the citizens of Minnesota, and take their eyes off the Republican party that’s holding the state hostage with it’s current budget proposal, and their refusal to even contemplate a compromise with the Governor. When you go to the polls next year to vote on this amendment, remember who’s to blame for shutting down the state government, causing increases in property taxes, elimination of police and firemen, causing the poor and elderly to loose medical insurance, and giving tax breaks, once again to the rich in Minnesota. Take a few minutes and send your opinion of this amendment to it’s author. Let him know how misguided and divisive it is, and how you intend to vote. Here’s his email address….. rep.steve.gottwalt@house.mn

1. Jack says:

Wow. How blind can you be? You don’t think the liberals are trying to force their standards down everyone’s throats? Letting high school kids have condoms and abortions without their parents knowledge or permission? Teaching and endorsing the gay lifestyle to preschoolers and elementary school kids regardless of what the parent’s believe? This only begins the list of ways liberals are trying to nullify every parent’s rights to raise their own children. And THAT only begins the list of the hideous liberal agenda!

Listen, I’m NOT a Republican. And I’m certainly NOT a Democrat. BOTH parties have their own horrible agendas. BOTH parties have destroyed this country. I’m just calling you out on your one-sided bull.

1. James says:

Yawn, Jack get a grip. I don’t want the hetero lifestyle imposed upon my gay kids. This crazy agenda of presupposition that all kids are straight. I can’t wait till you get to the recruitment part or do you save the best for last. HA!

12. not a gay hater says:

What about all of the new jobs this will create? Oh, I guess not…

1. Mr. M says:

Untrue.

FACT, weddings cost MONEY and employ MANY people so it’s actually great for the economy. I know some gay people and man oh man do they decorate! I’d love to see how amazing their wedding would look.

1. Jim says:

So allowing gay marriage would actually boost the economy. Works for me.

13. jeff says:

gotta love the repubes!!!!!!! “big government, stay outta my life!!!!!!! except those gays!” did you know that god despises drunkards and gamblers too. where are all the catholics for prohibition and “down with the casino”? where are all the conservatives for an end to divorce? where are all the conservatives to make it illegal at a national level to marry your first cousin? you think we are unnatural. you can still marry your first cousin in half of the u.s. what do you conservatives think about that? how many of you sick pigs are having sex with your family? ohhhhh wait, it’s okay to lie with your cousin and make three legged babies……cuz it’s natural………….and god doesn’t mention that in the big book. that could never confuse or rattle a child, being inbred and all…….you people make me sick to my stomach. if i wanna get married i’ll move somewhere else.

1. Mr D says:

You can still mount your man Jeff………..Or in your case get mounted.

2. Mr. M says:

This is one of the funniest posts I’ve read in a long time. I can’t stop laughing. Thanks for this!!! I do like the “Kettle – Black” metaphors though. We ALL are with our own sins in this life.

14. v says:

SOLUTION:
    Marriage licenses and divorce filings $10,000 each.
    Child tax: $5,000 a year per kid… followed by a $5 a pack condom tax.
    No matter what or who you are: NO REFUNDS.
    We’d REALLY find out who wants to be married… who REALLY wants kids… and all the above could fun every stadium ’til the end of time!

15. Mr. M says:

I had no idea that a group of kind, peaceful, caring individuals who are hard working tax payers could be so horrifically threatening to a group of religious suppressors because they wanted a simply union based on love. Astonishing. My beliefs speak of souls and love for one another. Not suppression with trying to hold up ridiculous rules from one of MANY religious belief systems. This is a world of over population and wars and torture from terrorists. Much MUCH worse is going on in this world that needs help. A portion of souls that promote love and would like a basic level of freedom to marry is not a threat. Honestly people, wake up.

16. Julie says:

I can’t possibly understand how the union of total strangers has an impact on someone else’s life.

Oh wait… IT DOESN’T!

Marraige licenses are available at COURTHOUSES.
    Seperation fo Church & State.
    Marraige ia christian comcept.
    If someone gets maried in a church, they call it being married. Sell Marraige Licenses from a Church and you all who hate on Gay/Lesbian marraiges might have something to argue about. But they are sold at Municipal Courthouses.
    Get your religious, selfrighteous opinions out of legislature and out of the business of others.
    If it is a ceremony at the courthouse, out of the jurisdiction of a church, it is still being married. Big Whoop.

If it doesn’t concern all you haters, MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

1. Mike says:

TOTALLY AGREED! Thanks you Julie!!!

17. Jake says:

Yes, let the battle begin, it’s only too bad that most of the media will promote this from only one side.

18. James says:

thanks Tom, and with your bad typing skills, go back to school. HA! As if this was offensive or something. It’s like telling all the coloreds to get to the back of the bus. HA! I can’t quit laughing.

19. James says:

The Party of NO could have created Civil Unions and cemented their respective majority for a long time to come. But no, I get to enjoy the so called debate, and vote on myself. And, so, we have to vote this out, and those who support it. Like I said, they could have done something kind, Instead we will waste millions that could have been used for school lunches, or homeless individuals for example. UGH!

1. Citizen says:

James, I think the point of all the so-called social engineering pushed from the religious right has been to divide the electorate even more. The issues of gay marriage and abortion are easy for people to take a stand on. Tax issues and revenue streams cause most peoples’ eyes to glaze over. A divided electorate is more easily duped into voting for certain people/parties. The more complex issues of job creation, tax unfairness, revenue issues, and budget balancing get left to the side as voters get conned into political positions such as supporting the GOP and Tea Party’s conservative agendas which have, and will continue to, hurt the bottom 98% of voters in this country. Thus, voters vote for their own demise!

20. Unity of Love says:

These organizations aren’t pro-Love. They are pro-Rules because through their manipulation of religion, they can in turn program and control others. It’s all about control for them. Anyone who follows them and their motivations of suppression simply cannot stand for goodness or love. The fact is that the gay community isn’t trying to control or suppress others. They want basic rights to go on living their peaceful lives. Minnesota for Marriage, Minnesota Campaign Finance, Public Disclosure Board, Minnesota Family Council and the Minnesota Catholic Conference and other religious and secular organizations stand for suppression through this futile act to suppress a peaceful group who are also hard working tax payers and make wonderful contributions to help make a better society. Trying to enforce a religious rule for everyone isn’t a peaceful act. It’s an act of control.

Question these groups and how they are spending their time and funds on something so sad and hurtful with a silly rule of suppression versus all the good they could do for the homeless or those who are abused and in true need of help. Gay weddings aren’t causing deaths or abuse. Gay weddings aren’t a threat to anyone other than the idea of having a freedom to choose who to love and the ceremony with legal rights that come with that marriage. Question why these groups find it such a horrible threat. Start thinking for yourself and not through a brainwashing of just one religion.

Question why they do not stand for love for all humans so we can all live in peace. Why do only some get to live in a union of love and others do not? How dare they. They have NO right and their so called religious agendas aren’t a good enough reason. If you don’t believe in a gay marriage then by all means operate from your own personal power to not have one or even attend one, but do not force that belief onto others. SHAME ON THEM. I used to follow religion, blindly, not thinking for myself, but then one day woke up and realized there were so many controls and manipulations from ego based religious leaders. I started to question motives and hidden agendas and it took a lot of deprogramming from all the brain washing they do on people. Sadly. I realized we aren’t just humans but rather, we are souls having a human experience. I realized I didn’t need to suppress a peaceful group of people from basic rights and from their act of a union of love. I realized that gay weddings aren’t going to destroy my personal way of life but rather help society because more people would have a happy choice. They’d have an option that would make them happy and spread love, so how can that be wrong or bad? It’s not. Heck, it might even help our hurting economy since weddings are spendy. I want my kids to have the option to love who they choose and to have the option of a wedding out of love with another consenting adult, two souls joined out of love. Don’t we all like having the basic options and choices that other have? Do you choose unity out of love for others or do you choose the suppressive control-based brain washing with the agenda of separation from religious and secular organizations?

21. Mr. M says:

Has anyone gone onto the Minnesota Family Council site and read this? It’s grossly untrue on so many accounts. WOW! These are personal beliefs and judgements listed… not real life reasons. UNREAL what they teach the sheeple about others. LIES. This is a form of brainwashing. SAD

22. Good Ol Boy says:

Jack, if being gay is what is REALLY wrong, what should be done with gays? Why stop at banning gay marriage if simply being gay is what you are really offended by?
    So, Jack… What ELSE are you offended by that you think a law should be created to ban?
    Secondly, just because you believe a certain thing doesn’t mean I have to or that you can come up with laws based on those beliefs. Sorry, chief. Not unless we get to take turns banning behaviors. I have a couple of yours that will be illegal soon if we do. Tough luck, right?

1. Mike says: