Golden Valley Man, 65, Killed In Motorcycle Accident

BRAINERD (WCCO) — A 65-year-old Golden Valley man was killed Saturday when his motorcycle left the road and rolled several times east of Brainerd, according to the Crow Wing County Sheriff’s Office.

The man, who has not been identified, was riding with a motorcycle club from the Twin Cities in the Brainerd lakes area.

At the time of the crash, which was reported at around 5 p.m., the group was traveling southbound on County Road 8 just south of the intersection of County Road 108.

The man was not wearing a helmet, according to the Sheriff’s Office.

The accident is under investigation.

1. JamieinMN says:

How long until we FORCE them to wear helmets?!?!!

1. Mark Koch says:

Hey JamieinMN,

I hear some people fall. Maybe we should FORCE you to always use a walker. People are killed by falling trees, maybe we should FORCE the government to cut them all down. I always wear my seatbelt. I always wear my helmet. But does that for a second mean I think we really need to make yet another law FORCING us to do or not do something? Enough laws thank you. You must be a democrat, the only ones who want MORE government.

1. JamieinMN says:

I’m forced to wear my seatbelt….

1. Beth says:

Point is why do they regulate the heck out of what to wear in a car how to set up a car seat / no texting / on and on but every other moving thing out there they ignore…no seat belts in the bus… no helmets…I hate the goverment telling us how and what to do but why somethings and not others….

2. think first says:

First… in this case a helmet wouldn’t have made a difference… In fact in most cases a helmet wouldn’t make a difference. I have found after 30 years of riding that because of the vision and hearing limitations of ALL helmets I have a better awareness of what is going on around me without a helmet than with one… You want to make motorcycles safer??? Start with making people pay for killing motorcyclists… As it stands now, if you kill a biker while driving the penalty is about the same as hitting a squirrel or rabbit…

1. JamieinMN says:

But how can you blame someone, like in this case, for HIS motorcycle leaving the road???

2. JamieinMN says:

And what makes you THINK you know that a helmet wouldn’t have helped? I don’t care how many years you’ve been riding, helmets along with seatbelts DO save lives.

3. Kim says:

Glad to see people are making assumptions without waiting to find out the details.

Express your condolences for the family and don’t pass judgment if you don’t know exactly what happened.

I always wear a helmet, but that doesn’t mean it would have helped in this case.
    It doesn’t say why he left the road, it is possible he got cut off by another vehicle (car or bike), an animal may have gone on the road (wild or a pet – keep your cats & dogs secured on a leash or in a fenced yard), there could have been a mechanical failure of the bike, there might have been debris on the road, etc.
    And 65 isn’t that old. I’ve known 40yr olds that shouldn’t be riding/driving.

1. JamieinMN says:

But it doesn’t hurt to wear one, now does it? What happened to “better safe than sorry.”?

4. think first says:

My point is that helmets are pretty much UNSAFE… The way most of the people are killed on motorcycles, the general comment could probably be,,, OK, that person is dead, but their head looks so good… 70 percent of all motorcycle fatalities are caused by inattentive car drivers… And usually all they get from the courts is… we’ll let you go this time but pay more more attention next time…

1. JustSayin says:

I’d like to see some proof actually. Got any statistics?

5. Friend says:

I personally knew this man. He was one of the most technical riders I know and coud outride most 20 year olds. He has criss crossed the US in just about every direction and had over 200k miles of expericance in the seat. He taught defensive riding courses and was very involved with the community. Even with all of that, all it takes is one thing to go wrong for a tragedy to happen. Helmets do save lives but the fact remains that there is no protection around you on a bike like a car provides. Riders know the risks and make the choice.

6. na says:

think first your a moron, I was in a motorcycle accident last year. I was wearing my helmet. The helmet saved my life / head from being split wide open on the concrete.

7. EJ says:

I will not recount the details of the crash nor the injuries sustained for the entertainment of others. As previously stated, our brother was an experienced and skilled rider. He was strong and healthy and was not drinking. Head trauma did not factor immediately into his death. He was a good man who touched many peoples lives in a positive way, he will be missed by so many. Sometimes an accident is just an accident.

8. Deanna says:

Of course helmets help. The people that are worried we’re trying to FORCE them to do something they don’t want- well, if they live thru a head injury they can pay for their own health care costs & don’t expect Democrats to pay for it.

9. EJ says:

Stupidity reigns in most helmet debates. [[[ Of course helmets help ]]] And sometimes they just transfer the injury to the neck instead of the head. Motorcycle helmets are only tested to and PROVED safe to 15 mph. Are we going to start categorizing injuries and decide which ones are valid and which are not? More head injuries occur in bathroom/bath tub slip and falls than on motorcycles. Do you advocate mandatory bathroom helmet laws? Give up your freedoms if you like but I will fight for all of mine.