Trees Of Hope: Donate to Minnesota Ovarian Cancer Alliance at 1-800-542-9226 or click here. | More

South Dakota Man Arrested For DUI On Lawnmower

LAKE ANDES, S.D. (AP) — A man from the southeast South Dakota town of Lake Andes is accused of driving a lawnmower while drunk.

The Daily Republic newspaper reports that 51-year-old Guy Hornedeagle was arrested last week on state Highway 46 after filling up with gas at a service station and allegedly buying a beer. A sheriff’s deputy arrested him on charges of driving under the influence, having an open container of alcohol and littering for allegedly throwing the can in the ditch.

Hornedeagle is due in court on June 21. A telephone listing for him could not immediately be found.

Comments

1. Clint Make My Day banters says:

Ok – so he’s truly stupid. That said – he lives in a small town, rode his mower to get gas and was nursing a beer even.

If that moron – meaning the deputy actually right now and not the drunk – has nothing of greater importance to do than this, I guess maybe they have to many officers in the county and maybe some budget cuts in this case are in order. LMAO
    I don’t drink. Don’t much care to be around a drinker. This tho – totally over the top crazy

2. Andy says:

Are you kidding me? Another reaon the DWI law and statutes need to be changed. My lawn mower goes 8MPH. Would they rather he drove his car. Chaulk another one up for the state revenue building DWI money machine.

3. Bryce Crousore says:

These stories were a novelty at first……..now they are just asinine – and not newsworthy.

4. Andy says:

Are you kidding me? My riding lawn mower goes 8 MPH. Another perfect example of why the DWI statutes and laws are in desperate need of change. Chaulk another one up for the state revenue building DWI money machine.

5. Victim Du Jour says:

The United States is worse than a communist country. And then MADD uses this in their stats to get tax funding.

1. Sara says:

If you don’t like it – feel free to move Victim.

1. Huxley says:

Your post is grammatically confusing. Who is Victim? Where should we put him? And how will moving Victim make us feel better? If you want to label someone- do it properly. Rube.

1. Jim says:

“Victim” is the person “Sara” is responding to. Welcome to the internet, Huxley.

2. Duh says:

what a dumb arse

3. Chief Riding Mower says:

Huxley, if you don’t start paying attentiion we are going to take your lawnmower keys away.

1. Are you smarter than a 3rd grader? says:

@jim, duh and cheif;

Huxley is referring to the missing comma (,) between ‘move’ and ‘Victim’. Without said comma, the sentence reads that one should physically move ‘Victim’, not that ‘Victim’ should move himself.

Welcome to 3rd grade English Skills, idiots.

6. Jim says:

Seems ridiculous to me. The guy should have gotten a ticket for littering and that’s it. Has anyone ever hurt someone else by riding a mower drunk? I guess it’s possible…

1. Boozers and Losers says:

happened a few times I have heard about. In one case, Oklahoma IIRC, a guy actually killed himself driving off the road on way home. I suppose it’s not really the speed of travel but how you end up. He bleed out when the blade cut him.
      Another was the guy loped off his foot trying to upright a mower he tipped over.

Drunk and mowing = dumb. Ask my BIL who has 3 toes on his left foot missing.
      Worth jail time? I dunno – if you want to kill yourself have at it I guess. If others are gonna be impacted then it’s a different story

1. Jim says:

I realize it’s possible to get drunk and fall off a mower and hurt yourself. It’s also possible to get drunk and then decide you feel sweaty and slip in the shower and break your hip. Should the government give you a ticket for showering while drunk as well?

I see this as a blatant overreach of the law. We don’t need the government protecting us from any possible injury.

2. K. says:

I disagree. Let’s take the drunkeness out of the picture here and look at this another way. The lawn mower may be a gas powered vehicle, but in order to drive a motorized vehicle on the road, you need to have registration or a license plate. I very much doubt he had this which makes it illegal to drive on a public road in the first place.

1. Jim says:

Then he should have received a ticket for operating an unlicensed motor vehicle on a roadway, in addition to his littering ticket. To give this guy a DUI for riding an 8-mph lawnmower is absurd.

7. jan says:

The man’s name was Horned Eagle and he obviously was a Dakota, Nakota or Lakota indian. I’m not a bleeding heart liberal but this looks like racial profiling to me

1. Sharon Cox says:

Racial profiling?? – the guy was drunk on a riding lawnmower – with a beer!
      Seems pretty straightforward.

1. Jim says:

A pretty straightforward case of a guy on a lawn mower who couldn’t possibly hurt anyone. Give him a ticket for littering and let him be on his way.

8. Tonia says:

Even though a mower only goes 8 miles per hour, it is still against the law to operate a motor vehicle while drinking. Yes you can do damage with a riding lawn mower. Charge him for his wrong doing.

1. Jim says:

How could he possibly hurt someone going 8 mph on a riding lawn mower? I honestly cannot imagine it, please describe it for me. Just because it’s against the law doesn’t mean it’s wrong. There are lots of stupid laws in this country that should be done away with.

2. Andy says:

Tonia this is a perfect example of how the DWI Statutes are completely out of control and need to be reigned in, you cannot do damage at 8 miles per hour, and like victim this will be another statistic the most corrupt organization in the company will use to get more of your tax dollars. Also DWI’s have become a HUGE revenue builders for the state and the counties, They make tons of money on them. Trust me this was about adding more revenue and a cop trying to grab headlines not wrong doing.

9. The facts says:

A drunk is a drunk, no matter what he is driving.

1. Les Johnson says:

It’s not illegal to be a drunk.

You can do damage at 8mph? To what, specifically? Chipping the paint of a fire hydrant? Please describe the dangers of going 8mph on a lawn mower while intoxicated. I can’t wait to hear this.

1. Lesjohnsonisdumb says:

Maybe he could fall off and hurt himself. Figure it out, stupid. A drunk is a drunk.

1. Jim says:

Who cares if he falls off and hurts himself? It’s the government’s responsibility to make sure people don’t fall off lawnmowers? What a stupid post.

1. Les Johnson says:

It is not illegal to get drunk and fall down or to fall off of something.

Your insults are not warranted or welcome, little man.

2. Boozers and Losers says:

read my post above Les.
        I’m in the middle on this – mainly as I know even at 8 mph a kid would be crushed by the thing if he darted out. Or ol’ drunky weaved.
        Tough call – common sense says he shouldn’t be mowing period but ….. a ticket? Take him home or to detox if he’s really bad I guess. The ticket likely will get tossed.
        I am thinking somewhat we may have a racial ting but hope to hell that not it

1. Les Johnson says:

Is there a way to get men to mow the lawn WITHOUT using beer as a bribe or reward?? :-p

1. Huxley says:

Sure, but after a few years of marriage that cookie loses much of its appeal. Women go downhill rather quickly after 30.

1. Les Johnson says:

Maybe just yours did. I know mine didn’t. Beer is still a great bribe for me.

2. Will Work For Beer says:

That’s right Les. Mowing the yard without a beer? Um, that would be like..shoveling the driveway without a beer.

10. justaxnspend says:

Hey, driving while drunk is the same whether it is a horse, boat, car or
    mower. Let Darwin do his work!

11. Rez Chick says:

Yes this is a Crazy Deal… Guy Horned Eagle is A Good Man… Driving with a Beer?.. Yes it is wrong.. Was it a Tribal Cop, BIA Cop or was it a Town Cop?.. Hmmm… The Rez is a Hard Place to Live…

12. Mower racer says:

Technically It’s not a motorvehicle if the engine displacement is not over 49 ccs. I’m not sure wht an 8 horse briggs is but I do know that one beer does not make you a drunk. He may have been completely within the law if he was on the shoulder and the engine was not bigger than 49 cc’s.