ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton says he will appeal the federal government’s denial of disaster aid for homeowners, renters and businesses contending with damage from last month’s deadly Minneapolis tornado.
Dayton said Monday that Minnesota’s top emergency official, Kris Eide, will try to reverse the decision from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
FEMA said last week that the state, local governments and volunteer groups together had the capacity to address tornado damage for individuals.
Federal assistance is coming to help repair more than $16 million in damage to public infrastructure after President Barack Obama declared a disaster.
The tornado hit north Minneapolis May 22, killing one and destroying more than 100 homes. A second person died in the aftermath.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)