Minn. House Picks Lawyer For Shutdown Litigation

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — The Republican-controlled House is turning to a former state Supreme Court chief justice to represent its interests in court proceedings over a looming government shutdown.

The House Rules Committee on Tuesday authorized Speaker Kurt Zellers to hire Eric Magnuson, who headed Minnesota’s top court and last year represented Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Emmer in a statewide recount.

House Majority Leader Matt Dean says Magnuson will argue for keeping the House running in a shutdown so lawmakers can pass a budget. Dean says Magnuson’s charge also includes opposing Democratic Gov. Mark Dayton’s push to order budget talks into mediation.

Senate GOP caucus spokesman Michael Brodkorb says the Senate has yet to pick a lawyer.

Comments

1. Mary says:

“The House panel also approved cuts to expense payments, postage and other member perks in a shutdown.”
    So nice of them to agree to cuts, how about agreeing to give up all expense payments as that is what you are asking the citizens of the state to do when you don’t finish the job you were voted to do.
    Stop bickering among the parties and get your job done! Why should we pay for your pigheadedness

1. What??? says:

So the GOP has the money to hire this guy again but no money to pay back the counties after the recount? Seems 1s again that the responsible party is up to its neck in irony.

2. over a BILLION DOLLARS SPENT ON SHUTDOWN PROCEDURES says:

the House and Senate have once again proven how worthless they are. they are more interested in grandstanding than they are in trying to meet Dayton half way to get a budget passed. If these Legislators were my employeees I would fire them alll for not doing their jobs iin the first place. It is costing over a billion dollars just to do these shut down procedures. REMEMBER THIS FIGURE WHNE YOU SEE THEIR NAMES ON THE BALLOT !!

1. Captain America says:

Please provide facts for your billion $ number. The legislature has provided a number of comprimises and Dayton has rejected them all. He is out of touch and extreme, many parts of the budget could be completed so we would only have a partial shutdown. He has the largest budget ever presented with a 6% increase, he won’t sign it because he wants another 9% for 15% total. With Minnesotan’s hurting and with MN number 8 in the taxation rankings Dayton should sign the budget and keep MN open.

1. Vern says:

There still is the untenable position of asking the feds for a medicaid waiver which the feds have never granted, the cuts to home services to push people into institutions, equitable division of the LGA money as well as figuring out the education. GOP sent garbage and is still offering it. They still do nothing for the ones who can work but are collecting a check. Governor Dayton would norbe out of touch with the far right, as much as he wants to limit damages.
        The GOP is to the the party that is out of touch with as Tim Penny put it “the sensible center” as well as the left.

1. Vern says:

Also, the GOP revenue predictions were so optimistic no one could figure out how they got them. That was part of the many problems with the gop budget.

3. Jake says:

If Dayton simply signed the bill that’s in front of him, there would be no shut down. If he wants more money for government services, he could either call a special session to request more revenue or he can ask the public to vote in a new legislature next year.

Dayton is fully responsible for any shutdown and it’s costs and inconveniences.

4. John says:

Sorry. but i blame the GOP for this one. They act like the top 2 percent wage earners are allergic to taxes. Just because during the Bush years, the burden was placed on the middle class, as usual, doesn’t mean they should be given a special status……forever. With the way the both federal and state governments, seem to are so polarized, nothing gets done. Them tax cuts for the top earners does not seem to generate jobs, since the recession. I have suspicions, to say the least, but avoiding that, Dayton has put forth a halfway negotiation attempt, and the GOP are not bargaining, although they say they are.

1. Jake says:

No need to apologize, but you should understand the tax code. The increase is not on the top 2% of wage earners, but on an income level that currently only 2% actually achieve. But the issue isn’t about the respective rates, but how much government needs to do its job. The GOP Leg. is providing a 6% increase, far above inflation. With no need for more revenue, it makes no sense to increase any tax rates. The DFL demonizes top earners to secure more funding for the public employees who fund DFL campaigns. Pretty simple math.

If they were doctors, Dr. Dayton wants the patient to get 7 pills, and Dr. GOP believes 6 Pills is enough. So, Dr. Dayton withholds all the pills until Dr. GOP agrees to to his diagnosis? This makes no sense. Give the 6 pills, and if the patient is still not healthy, ask the public to replace Dr. GOP next year with Dr. DFL. I have a suspicion the patient will be fine with 6 pills.

1. Captain America says:

Jake nice country diagnosis, keep it simple and maybe the liberals will understand.

1. John says:

yeah, whatever…..nice cape.

2. John says:

Not the way I see it. They cut spending and it isn’t enough. They cut spending on some good programs. Just because the GOP yells Socialism at everything, doesn’t mean they are not good programs and people need the services. Just because you use a slick analogy doesn’t mean you know for sure. To cut to the chase, I think the GOP are snacks with their election referendums, and it shows the nature of the beast. You may be right, but as a homeowner I keep in my budget, and when debt gets too big, I try to get extra income and pay off the debt as fast as possible, because there is always something down the road. Without knowing for sure, either one of us, I have to go with, pay off the debt as fast as possible, just like the home budget.

3. I'm going to Dr Jake says:

LOL!! I like it Jake….GREAT way to look at it!

1. John says:

good for you. meanwhile you have a big debt and …oh gee, your son was with friends and busted all his teeth out…and your daughter needs a lawyer…but you taking your pills…you don’t care.

2. Jake says:

No need to apologize, but one must understand the tax code. The increase is not on the top 2%, but on an income level that currently only 2% actually achieve. But the issue isn’t about rates, but how much government needs to do its job. The GOP budget provides a 6% increase, far above inflation. With no need for more revenue, it makes no sense to increase any tax rates. The DFL demonizes top earners to secure more funding for the public employees who fund DFL campaigns. Pretty simple math.

If they were doctors, Dr. Dayton wants the patient to get 7 pills, and Dr. GOP believes 6 Pills is enough. So, Dr. Dayton withholds all the pills until Dr. GOP agrees to to his diagnosis? This makes no sense. Give the 6 pills, and if the patient is still not healthy, ask the public to replace Dr. GOP next year with Dr. DFL. I suspect the patient will be fine with 6.

5. kevin says:

Can someone please tell me what Dayton has given up.

1. JMJ says:

Absolutely Nothing………he reminds me of my 5 yr old throwing a tantrum. I take that back my son is better behaved and follows the rules.

6. What??? says:

JMJ
    If you are going to be that sophomoric with your insults why would you not throw a doody head in there as well? Everyone knows that resorting to insults wins the argument every time. You and your 5 year old have a lot in common it seems.
    It was not hidden that Dayton wanted to raise the taxes on the top 2% as he stated this multiple times when he was running. You all act like he just sprung this on everyone. I remember a lot of people posting about the WI battle and how you were calling the Dems there children that were not doing their jobs. Well when the shoe is on the other foot and the same type of event happens here you still cannot take the medicine that you were so willing to give out a few months ago. GOP = the party of ironic followers. Everything is wrong when I do not get my way, but as I see it, whatever I think is 100% right. You cannot have it both ways. This is why a lot of people are moving away from parties and supporting a person and not a party. Some have finally started to see what some of us have been saying for years. The rest of you can sit in the dark ages and keep yelling at each other as this accomplishes so much.

7. What??? says:

JMJ
    Since WCCO will not let me post my original comment let’s see if this one makes it.

8. kevin says:

Also, what has the dems. in both houses offered as a compromise proposal?You here absolutly nothing from them. Do they even support Dayton, I can not tell from there silence. I think Dayton is on his own island.

1. John says:

Well, then, keep up on what’s going on. It is not anyone else’s responsibility. From my casual keeping up on things, First the GOP wanted spending cuts. They put together their bill and waited and waited to submit it to the last minute. Dayton asked for a tax increase, (not sure how much exactly) for the top 5 % of earners…The GOP dismissed it, and Dayton lowered the number to the top 2 or 2 1/2 percent of the top earners. The GOP dismissed it…some closed door meetings and then a GOP statement that blames Dayton….As for the legislature, the GOP controls both houses…it appears what the legislature dems had to say was unimportant…

9. Liz says:

It’s all for show anyway; make the public see we are “doing” our jobs and fighting the good fight…both parties are guilty. Money for MNSCU? What about all other state funded programs. Just how do you curry favor for a specific program…hmmm. The media circus created by the politicians as each party spins their version of what went wrong is a sad and disgusting picture of Minnesota Stop bickering and DO YOUR JOBS – you know, the one you were hired/voted to do. You may have won the vote but your job is to represent your constituents not just spew your party line. I can’t just take extra time to do my job, I as most tax payers have deadlines that you meet or very likely will LOSE YOUR JOB. I say settle on time or everybody out…get a new batch in there…couldn’t do any worse then what is currently going on.

10. kevin says:

Her’s a compromise for you John, raise the tax rate for the top 2%. But the money is to be used only to fund a better fraud unit for the state to weed out tax fraud, welfare and sociial service fraud etc. Also a porition can go to review all gov. departments and clean up redundency in service, bloated dept staffs etc.

1. John says:

mmm…good idea, but a bit biased. someone thinks their smart, apparently. Conservatives have been drumming the cut spending drum…and as I said earlier, I think they’re snakes. Look to your own side for answers, then…fine with me.

11. Maybe says:

This is just an off the wall thought, maybe both sides are doing this on purpose so that they can shut off the welfare program for a while and this may cause others that are planning on coming here to look elsewhere. Then we may also get rid of all or some of the free loading immigrants that are flocking to the state. Like I said, off the wall idea and I do not think that anyone that is in office right now is smart enough to hatch a plan like that but I am all for it.

1. John says:

Sigh, yeah. I think I heard the money for the Somalians coming here is ridiculous. They get a car and money. Then four Somalian’s go back to Somalia to fight…they were young and I think one got killed. Then the Hmong’s…I think they get money, too. But, you know, everyone likes their bread buttered…and they will fight with all means, if the money is threatened. To keep on an even keel, not going into that history….but yes, I find things like that disturbing.

12. kevin says:

John, biased?? seems like I caught you of guard. Maybe we should investigate you first.

1. John says:

LOL you’re silly. Yes, just go to the front of the legislature and bring it up….just a short walk. I feel really threatened.

13. Where does one move to? says:

Does anyone know which states are the polar opposite of Minnesota? I’m sick of living in the welfare state where my taxes go to help people who refuse to help themselves and my governor has been in need of a diaper change for the last six months. So I figure, maybe I should move? But are there ANY states left that value the original principals of the constitution, aren’t bankrupt or corrupt?

14. Yum says:

NJ
    Chris Christie

You watch…..NJ will all of a sudden have all kinds of applications for business’

1. Vern says:

has Wisconsin. The southern sates which have the right to work law have higher unemployment than Mn