Nurse Sentenced For Stealing Pain Reliever From Hospital

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) — A 31-year-old registered nurse was sentenced Wednesday for pretending to be a nurse from a Coon Rapids hospital in order to steal a pain killer.

Maria Anne Mihalik, of Superior, Wis., was sentenced to three years of probation, including 180 days in a halfway house and 150 hours of community service. She pleaded guilty to one count of obtaining a controlled substance by fraud in March.

According to her plea agreement, Mihalik admitted going to Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids on May 5, 2010 and stealing the drug, Dilaudid, for personal use.

Mihalik’s attorney, Robert Lengeling of Minneapolis, says Mihalik is taking federal probation “very seriously.”

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. M B says:

You’ve never used a work phone for personal reasons? Or taken a pen or paperclip from your work, or used the work photocopier for anything for yourself? All that is stealing.

2. ahab says:

Les, you need to think this through. If steaking is a capital offense, then thieves would just kill any possible witnesses, because they would have nothing to lose by murdering someone (no harsher penalty). Also, do you know how expensive it is to enforce a death penalty? Do you want to pay the extra taxes that would be needed to keep all those thieves on death row for several years? Sometimes your simple solutions are not so simple, are they?

1. Les Johnson says:

I’m not talking about housing them on death row for 15 years. I’m talking about a .22 LR behind the ear, drag em out the back door of the court house and start stackin em up.

3. ahab says:

OOPS! I meant stealing.

4. Todd W. Olson says:

Why stop there? Let’s execute everyone with expired license tabs, or anyone who litters, or anyone who’s child is truant. Kill ’em all, I say. Yep, just start killing people. That’ll solve all our problems.

1. Les Johnson says:

Why? Because that is not rational, Todd. Nobody is suggesting “just start killing people” as you so emotionally declared.

2. coolbreeze says:

Come on now Les…death is pretty heavy. Are you implying you’ve never stolen anything?

1. Les Johnson says:

We’re not talking about carrying a pen home from work here. That is a failure of an analogy.

I’m talking about willful deception and pre-planning a theft or burglary or robbery. Using a work photocopier is not stealing, sorry. That falls flat in the context in which I’m speaking here.

1. idiot says:

The world would be better off without idiots like you

1. Les Johnson says:

Come fix the situation then, tough guy. We’ll see who the world ends up without.

1. Mike says:

Les Johnson

You should run for office in Yemen were people, (Taliban) think just like you.

PS. Your name clearly defines another burden for you. Less Johnson……
            Now that is funny.

1. Les Johnson says:

You’re comparing me to the Taliban because I think someone breaking into my home should be killed?

And then you think a “Less Johnson” quip is humorous? Wow, you have so much to learn about comedy, sonny. Next comes the “mom’s basement” line, right? I’ve seen this one before…

2. Todd W. Olson says:

Actually, Les, it is the same. If you use your employer’s copier without his permission, you’ve stolen his toner and electricity. By the standards you’ve put forth, that would be a capital offense.

1. Les Johnson says:

That is not the standard I put forth, Todd.

I usually expect more from you comments than this mindless buffoonery you’re trying to suggest right now.

1. Todd W. Olson says:

Les, you have stated that the penalty for premeditated theft should be death. Using your employer’s copier without his permission fulfills the criteria for premeditated theft. It’s really that simple. O

1. Les Johnson says:

Since when do you get off telling me what I meant, Todd?

Premeditated theft by swindling, and not unauthorized use of a company photocopier.

I understand you’re trying to make my argument sound completely absurd, but to do it you seem to have to make completely assinine and ridiculous assumptions that I never set out there, Todd.

I’m talking AIT and Tom Petters here, not Jane the secretary keeping the paperclip off her yearly review printout. Think Bernie Madoff and Denny Hecker, not your cube mate keeping his .29 BIC pen.

Try to at least figure out what I’m suggesting, Todd, and not just be a complete donkey, ok? Thanks.

2. What??? says:

You did not stipulate that the crime has to be bigger than a piece of paper did you? Then your argument is just plain stupid. “It’s wrong to take that which is not yours.” This is your words, this does not stipulate a value on the item, either concede you were wrong or shut up.

1. Les Johnson says:

Either concede that you didn’t understand what I suggested or shut up, you mindless buffoon.

3. Brian says:

@Les, the problem with harsh penalties that don’t fit the crime is that, similar to what “ahab” said, whether a person stole medication, sped 10 miles over the limit or brutally raped and murdered someone, they’d get the same sentence (death penalty, in your idea) regardless. It would lead to a scary and ruthless society.

As it is, we already have extremely stiff sentences in this state (and country as a whole) compared to the rest of the civilized world and we actually have HIGHER crime rates and higher recidivism rates because of it (our system is broken).

I think the sentence is perfect. She needs help for her addiction. If that fails, THEN you can move in with much harsher penalties on the next crime (prison time). Clearly a fitting sentence from a common-sense judge.

4. Brian says:

@Les, the problem with harsh penalties that don’t fit the crime is that, similar to what “ahab” said, whether a person stole medication, sped 10 miles over the limit or brutally murdered someone, they’d get the same sentence (death penalty, in your idea) regardless. It would lead to a scary and ruthless society.

1. Les Johnson says:

You fit right in here in Minnesota. Give her another chance. She needs help. She didn’t mean it. She couldn’t help herself. She has a problem. She needs our sympathy. Punish her next time. Or next time. Or the time after. But not now. Right now she needs pity and babying and support and rehabilitation. What bollocks.

I’m sorry, but I don’t share your sympathies.

5. Les Johnson says:

“Les, the problem with harsh penalties that don’t fit the crime is that, similar to what “ahab” said, whether a person stole medication, sped 10 miles over the limit or brutally murdered someone, they’d get the same sentence (death penalty, in your idea) regardless.”

False. That is not what I’m suggesting at all.

1. kim says:

Then what are you suggesting? You’re saying you think the penaly for theft should be death. How is that not what you’re suggesting?

1. @Les says:

We should have the death penalty just for you Les, this has gone to far it’s really time for you to find a speeding bus and trip in front of this bus.

1. Les Johnson says:

Come implement it then. Why keep making idle threats and insinuations?

6. Sarah in Outstate MN says:

I think 3 years probation, 180 days in a halfway house and 150 hours of community service is fine, but she should also be forced into treatment. This is her first offense, but a serious one. Hopefully it won’t happen again.

7. Les Johnson says:

No jail time, eh? She should be allowed to do it again. You’re actually coming right out and saying it even. Unbelievable.

Why should people be allowed to steal repeatedly? I don’t understand the logic behind that. You’re saying it’s ok.

1. What??? says:

I’ll say it again

1. Les Johnson says:

I clearly made this statement which you either were unable or unwilling to read and or comprehend.

“Theft by swindle in large amounts, or deceiving and defrauding a company to infiltrate it and steal medication. Breaking into our garages and taking our belongings. Ponzi schemers who destroy the life savings of people and then sit in a country club minimum security resort, because they still need their lifestyle to be in-tact.”

“Nobody is suggesting the death penalty for printing out a google map set of directions to your kid’s soccer game. What a brilliant thing for you to say though.”

Note the date and time, EINSTEIN ———-> June 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

1. What??? says:

Again, I and others here are quoting you, do not get mad at us that we are using your own words. You were the person that started all of this and you still cannot admit that you were wrong, that is what I am posting to. YOUR WORDS and you still cannot say “I am wrong, what I meant to say is” or something like that. You still call others names even though this is your fault that anyone is posting back to your idiotic ideas. I am fine with you calling me names, but how many people have to tell you that you are wrong before you look at it and say that you are? Do you think you are the only one that can “see the truth”? Are you the chosen one Les? You are so passionate about killing people for the smallest of infractions. Well my friend not only are you stubborn that you cannot admit your mistakes, but you are also a chronic liar if you expect anyone here to believe that you have never stolen anything in your life. Under your laws, you deserve to die too. Still want to cast that first stone?

1. Les Johnson says:

“You are so passionate about killing people for the smallest of infractions. ”

LOL

Again, for about the 20th time. I did not say to kill anybody for “the smallest of infractions.”

YOU DID. I however, made it clear that it was for high dollar blue collar crime, crimes of intense swindling and major burglaries. I did NOT (do I have to repeat NOT??) say people stealing a pen should be killed.

No matter how many times your stupid a55 is going to tell me what I meant, you can’t change what I meant. It just shows you didn’t comprehend my words, and after this much banter trying to get you to understand, I’ll just assume you aren’t smart enough to pull it off, ok?

“but you are also a chronic liar if you expect anyone here to believe that you have never stolen anything in your life.”

I didn’t make that claim, chief. But I never stole anybody’s identity, burglarized their home or garage, or swindled someone out of their life savings by making phony investments either. See the difference? (probably not)

“Under your laws, you deserve to die too. Still want to cast that first stone?”

Yes. I hereby cast it.

1. What??? says:

What you “meant” and what you wrote are 2 different things and you still cannot see this no matter how many times that I and many others say it. You have to be joking or your double talk is going to make it less and less likely that anyone is going to take you seriously on any post that is under that name.
              Did I say that you made the claim that you never stole anything or did I make a statement? So you are putting words in my mouth now as this was not a quote was it? I wish that you were intelligent enough to see the absolute absurdity in your posts here. You go from “There should be no second chances for thieves” to stipulations that would involve major theft. Well this would not be a major theft or this would have been a felony which it was not. Then your revised version of your original comment is null and void yet you still argue that you are correct. As to what you “meant” by your first comment, you should be smart enough to understand that what you imply is not what you put down. We cannot read into your comments just what you post. So if that is not what you “meant” than why did you word it that way? If you know that nobody saw what you “meant” by this than why can you not admit that your first comment was wrong or worded wrong? I would also like to say good luck with casting that first stone as the hypocrisy should weigh it down a lot and this may make it hard to throw. Stay tuned for the next double standard and thanks for playing Les. It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. Better luck next time.

1. Les Johnson says:

That’s called clarifying a statement. I don’t expect you to understand, as it seems apparent you didn’t get any post-secondary education.

And on a more humorous note, thanks for playing along indeed. My goal here was to get this article into the “Popular Conversations” section on the right of the WCCO home page, which I have now done.

Thanks for playing along, gang. See you on the next article comment section.

1. What??? says:

What I was doing was clarifying stupidity, but I guess you have no education in general as I have said this multiple times as well as stated that I know you revised your statement as posted too. You just cannot admit that you are wrong can you? A know it all that has more insight than at least 9 other people. I am done now as you cannot argue with crazy or stupid. Like I said, this just means that you have a bunch of people that will take all your posts with a grain of salt from now.
                  You remind me of Rusty Shackelford except you did not post about treason, other than that the similarities are astonishing.

2. Les Johnson says:

How can I be wrong about what I meant? Only you can be wrong by assuming what I meant even after I explained it in very simple terms to you. But you couldn’t let go of it, could you? You had to post 15 times about how I am a moron because I think if someone brings their pen home from work, the security team should follow that person home and gun them down in their yard. Forget the fact I never said nor implied that, right?

I posted thieves should be put to death, and you and other mindless dimwits assumed for no great reason that I thought anybody taking a peanut out of the peanut bin at Rainbow Foods should be killed for it, and that simply is not the case, even though you think you can force me to have said that retrospectively.

The fact is, I clarified my comment, and you still went on and on about how stupid I am, when in fact my comment is completely plain to read. You can try to insist I want people who make an extra photocopy hanged in Times Square, but it just didn’t happen that way.

Clarifying stupidity, eh? What’s your degree in? I actually have one.

You remind me of GOPsux who never really has anything to contribute, but comments anyway.

8. Todd W. Olson says:

Your words, Les, not mine.

1. Les Johnson says:

I stand by them. If you home invade someone, steal their identity and create a hundred bogus charge accounts and run their credit into the ground, or make phony investments to swindle people, then my words apply.

Steal a pen, and I don’t care. Make a photocopy of your rear end on your company photocopier and I don’t care.

Is there a way to make this clear for you, or is this just a lost cause, Todd?

1. Ignorance must be bliss! says:

It was a lost cause from your first post. You should understand this as every single post after that was letting you know that your ideas are way out there and that you are wrong. Theft involves items that can be replaced. A life cannot be replaced. If you are that attached to your items I would assume that you have some mental troubles. I understand that people that do this are low lives that do not deserve the trust that society gives everyone until they prove they are not worth it any longer, but that is what is happening here. This person has their name in the paper that they are a thief and now the community knows not to trust them. What more do you want? The humiliation that she has now is enough for this petty crime. Notice how the major crimes do not get a minimal sentence just like Petters. So maybe you should really do some soul searching and go to an anger management class or something before you blow your top. Les, there is someone walking on your lawn right now… reload fast or they will get away!!! My name is proven 1s again.

1. Les Johnson says:

Walking on a lawn is not a crime similar to home invasion, my clueless friend.

Petters should have been drawn and quartered and set on fire. He did get a minor sentence compared to what he deserved.

“This person has their name in the paper that they are a thief and now the community knows not to trust them. What more do you want?”

I think I made it clear already several times. Why you think people should get to do it 5 times and victimize dozens more people before being punished is beyond me.

1. Ignorance must be bliss! says:

Wow, you are an idiot. I did not mean that it was a crime to walk on a lawn. You must have no education at all huh? You have no idea what you are talking about. I meant that walking on a lawn that is worth more than your lawn is a crime. You have no idea yet you post back…
            See it holds just as much weight as your ignorance and you can only read what is post. Thanks for taking the bait and for proving my name is correct 1s again.

1. Les Johnson says:

Thanks for taking the bait for the 21st (or is it 22nd) time.

Talk about “fish on.”

You tried to poke fun at me by saying “there’s someone on your lawn, hurry and reload.” (paraphrased)

Now you try to distance yourself from your dumb comment. I don’t blame you. It was really a dopey one indeed.

But hey, don’t leave now. I have more great witticisms to share with you, if only you’ll stay and indulge me, my new friend.🙂

9. Ignorance must be bliss! says:

21st or 22nd time?????
    If you could count you may see that I have 2 other posts on this story besides this 1. You are really saying that and then have the nerve to call others stupid and that they have a poor education? WOW, you take the cake, this is just sad that you think that you are that smart yet you cannot count to 2! You do not even have to use more than 1 hand for that. The idea that you were baiting others is funny as well. So when you are proven to be ignorant then you change your story and say I was kidding the whole time, got you all. This is not how it looks nor how you were playing this. No matter what you think, we are not that dumb. I am not going to indulge your sad little lie any longer as I think that What??? said it best “I am done now as you cannot argue with crazy or stupid.” Thanks 1s again for proving my name is correct.

1. Les Johnson says:

I was never kidding, and I never said I was kidding.

How many times can you be wrong in one day? Are you going for the record? LOL

And yes, I do believe you ARE that dumb. Perhaps even dumber.

And again, thanks for playing.

10. Stupid is as stupid does. says:

I am not going to get in a fight with anyone on this post and I will not be posting back. With that said, Todd W. Olson and What???, you did have the correct information that the post “Death penalty. It’s wrong to take that which is not yours. There should be no second chances for thieves.” does not exclude anything and this statement means that if you steal you should be put to death period. Les you have to agree with that. There is no other way of looking at this as there are no other words that are given. It is a straight to the point and covers all. There was the clarification after the fact and it did not cover what the story was on. Les, you post as if people should be able to read your mind and then come off as being very angry and aggressive that they cannot. This may be something that you would want to work on as nobody can understand what you mean unless you say it. This is just like a text msg, it is a 1 sided conversation and therefore you have to be specific or you are the one that is not getting your point across. Nobody can hold your hand and interpret what you mean. I think you all need to concede the point that you were all wrong. What is with the name calling though? Is this a bunch of children on the computer? The last thing I want to point out is that just having a degree in something does not make you an intelligent person and the immaturity that you display in these posts has a lot to say about that. If you are educated as you all say you are you should know that name calling is not helping anything but making you look like a fool. I know that is an oxymoron to say but it had to be done.

1. Les Johnson says:

” therefore you have to be specific or you are the one that is not getting your point across. ”

I really don’t think I could have possibly been more specific. Yes, the first post on the comment section was a baiting post, and boy did the fish come out to bite.

But I did clarify what I meant in subsequent comments. So no, it didn’t mean that stealing a pen means you should be put to death, and no, I don’t have to agree with you on that point, because I clarified specifically that wasn’t the case. I have to wonder why you were unable or unwilling to read my clarifications, and instead held on so tightly to the original post that you completely missed the point.

In any case, it’s been fun trying to get you to understand a basic concept, even though you failed to grasp it even a little bit.

Cheers!