MN Man To Plead Guilty To 2nd Iowa Clerk Slaying

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — A Minnesota man convicted of killing a convenience store clerk in Humboldt is expected to plead guilty to killing another clerk in Algona, prosecutors said Tuesday.

Kossuth County Attorney Todd Holmes said Michael Swanson, 18, of St. Louis Park, Minn., will plead guilty to first-degree murder and robbery in the Nov. 15. shooting death of Vicky Bowman-Hall at an Algona gas station.

Swanson requested a hearing to change his plea and that hearing will be held Thursday in Kossuth County, Holmes said. It will follow his sentencing Thursday morning to life in prison for the slaying of Sheila Myers at a store in Humboldt.

A jury in Carroll County found Swanson guilty last month of first-degree murder and robbery in Myers’ death.

A telephone message left Tuesday for Swanson’s attorney was not immediately returned.

Swanson was 17 when he was charged with the slayings. His attorney has maintained that he was legally insane at the time.

Prosecutors claim he shot Bowman-Hall just after 9 p.m. at the Crossroads gas station after demanding cash and cigarettes and then drove to Humboldt, where he shot and killed Myers at the Kum & Go store where she worked.

He was arrested later driving his family’s Jeep Grand Cherokee at a McDonald’s in Webster City.

Holmes said having Swanson plead guilty to the charges that are filed against him will keep the family from having to go through the stress of a trial.

“Trials are very difficult for family members, especially in situations where a loved one has died in a manner that is horrific,” Holmes said. “Families can be affected a great deal.”

He said having a defendant plead guilty to charges that are filed against him also helps provide some “finality” for family members.

“They will get to hear the defendant admit to the crime and that is always, in my mind, beneficial for victims’ families to hear,” Holmes said.

Holmes speculated that being found guilty in the Humboldt case prompted Swanson’s decision to change his plea in Kossuth County.

Trials in both cases were moved because of pre-trial publicity. The trial for the Algona slaying had been moved to Lyon County and was scheduled for July 27.

Comments

1. Les Johnson says:

Public beheading or hanging. Let’s get it done.

2. Mike says:

Y’all still funny!

1. TwinsRAwesome says:

…as I flip off the cameras

3. juss sayin says:

I say we skin him alive, then let a bunch of starved wolves at him.
    Public viewing @ $100 a ticket. TV PPV @ $50.

Would raise a lot of money. Give half to the state budget, and the other half to the victims of this pathetic loser.

4. AND JUSTICE FOR ALL says:

WE DONT GET TO DECIDE IOWA DOES

1. TwinsRAwesome says:

And that is the sad part!

5. Brian says:

This is a sad waste of three lives, but based on his apparent serious mental condition, it appears that jailing him for life will save many more. I do believe he has a mental disorder, but I don’t believe he is insane. I’m just glad he is pleading guilty and saving the time and money of a trial to verify the obvious.

Also, while I disagree with the death penalty, one must admit that keeping this guy from harming others will be a burden on taxpayers for years to come.

6. St Paul says:

If the evidence is 100% truthful, if they can prove 100% that this man did this, and if he admits to these murders, then I would be ok with the death penalty. I would also need store video to see for myself the actual taking of these two womens lives. This is an awful sad story from start to finish. But in these case I do believe in the death penalty. My thoughts are with the families of all involved.

7. Kevin says:

God give me the chance to remove the smile off the face of this pile off garbage!

8. Deep Thinker says:

Probably listened to too much Glen Beck…..I’m sure that’s what his problem was..

1. Kevin says:

No if that was the case…..Id be sitting next to him…

9. Sheryl Aukes says:

As my husband would say, “Laugh it up Fuzz Ball”. Someone needs to wipe that smirk off his face. What a low life. He laughs when he is found guilty and Casey Anthony laughs when she is found not guilty. Whats that matter with these you people?

10. we says:

HEY SMIRKMAN I HOPE YOU LIVE A LONG AND MISERABLE EXISTENCE AND GET EVERYTHING YOU DESERVE AND MORE!!!!!!

11. me says:

…It’s time to give him a final meal…