St. Francis Council Member Cited For Fake Police Report

ST. FRANCIS, Minn. (WCCO) – A 78-year-old member of the St. Francis City Council was cited Thursday by the Anoka County Sheriff’s Office for filing a false police report.

Leroy Theodore Shaffer was issued a misdemeanor citation and has an Aug. 23 date set at the Anoka County Courthouse.

The citation stems from an incident that occurred at about 5:30 p.m. on July 1. Shaffer called St. Francis Police to report that he had received a suspicious package in the mail. When authorities arrived, Shaffer showed them a package with a postmark from Chicago, Ill. It was still in his mailbox and had not been removed.

Shaffer told the officer he thought it was a bomb. When asked why he would think it was, Shaffer said “he was in politics and has lots of enemies.”

Shaffer wanted the box opened, and the officer refused to do so if there was any chance that the package had a harmful device inside. Shaffer then grabbed the package and opened it, and inside it appeared to be shredded paper and a hand grenade.

Shaffer then told the officer the hand grenade was a “dud” and showed the officer a hole drilled in the bottom of it. There was also a note that said, “The next one will be real.”

Shaffer later admitted to police that he sent himself the package after driving to Chicago and mailing from post office there. He said he did it for sympathy.

“There’s a lot of people out there that want to kill me, that’s why I sent it to myself.”

Comments

1. St. Francis Resident says:

Nice. Another politician who THINKS he’s a bigger deal than he actually is. Nobody wants to kill you, Leroy. Your on the St. Francis City Council…you’re already dead. P.S. stop leaving leaflets on my front door, please!

2. Crazy Old Man says:

And your one of them.

3. Heidi says:

Sounds to me like he probably has the start of alzheimers or something. It is actually really sad.

4. joyce says:

I hope LeRoy seeks medical help, it is sad to see people go thru such desperste measures to gain attention. he may have a degenative illness of some sort and needs conseling and maybe medication. walk a mile in their shoes before you critize.

5. la de da says:

I just cant wrap my brain around this. I want more info on this old coot.

6. Got some nuts loose says:

Leroy Jenkins….

7. mike says:

Hey Leroy, you sure need a good psychotherapist to clean your head out. First you degade women, then immigrants, other people of ethnic races. Now you think that sending a phony mail bomb is really gonna get you any sympathy? I think you need to step down from office and get some help NOW!

1. brady says:

Maybe he should be sent to Albert Lea, and be put in the care of the ever popular convicted granny-molesters Brianna Broitzman and Ashton Larson. Old Leroy might just for once enjoy be around a group of women whom are more dumber than him when it comes to making bad decisions. Hey Leroy, now there’s a couple of moronic women whom might enjoy having you sexually harass them just like to tried to do the other women before you mailed the fake bomb. Instead of sending him to a therapist, send him to the granny-molesters in Albert Lea!