Minnesota Marine Killed In Afghanistan

GREENFIELD, Minn. (WCCO/AP) — A Minnesota Marine has died in Afghanistan.

The Defense Department says 21-year-old Lance Cpl. Robert Greniger of Greenfield died Tuesday while conducting combat operations in Helmand Province.   His family attends Village Church in Maple Plain, and it says he died when an explosive device detonated.

Greniger was assigned to the 2nd Combat Engineer Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force at Camp Lejeune, N.C.

He graduated from Rockford High School in 2009.  He joined the Marines after graduating and was deployed last March.

His mother, Teresa, told the “Associated Press” that her son was “very proud” to be a Marine and wanted to serve in Afghanistan.  She said he switched units so he could be there.

Nick Jacobs, Greniger’s Guidance Counselor in High School, says he was reserved yet respectful of others.  Jacobs recalled Greniger’s drive to be a Marine.

“You know, I think he knew what he wanted after high school, and you know, it was the military.  I think he wanted to do good things for our country,” said Jacobs.

Greniger’s father, Kurt, told us that his wife, Teresa, is in Dover, Delaware, right now, at the Marine Base.  He said she is witnessing the casket transfer to the prepping area for transfer to Minneapolis.

Greniger’s church said that military honors and the funeral will be held at the Rockford High School Community Center, but no date has been set.

Greniger is the second Minnesota Marine killed in Afghanistan in the last two weeks.

Twenty-seven-year-old Sgt. Chad Frokjer of Maplewood died June 30, also in Helmand Province, after he stepped on an improvised explosive device while on patrol.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Mr. Me says:

R.I.P. brother

2. Proud American says:

My heart goes out to this family. We are so proud of what this marine has done for our freedom.
    R.I.P. Lance Corporal Greinger

3. Father of Marine Lance Cpl. Levi H. says:

Prayers go out to the family of Lance Cpl. Greinger. Thank you for your service to our country. May God be your comfort.

4. af says:

My heart, thoughts and prayers go to this Marine’s family.
    RIP and thank you for your service

5. HooDatIS? says:

so rest in peace
    thanks for serving our country

6. Norge says:

Semper Fi Bro, you did your duty, and have been called home to serve a Higher Duty. You shall be missed. For the rest of you, better get used to more of these notices and this incompetent C-in-C draws down forces already stretched to thin…thus leaving fewer Marines and Soldiers to cover larger and larger areas…thus putting them at greater and greater risks as air and arty support units, as well as medi-vac units get farther and farther away. And this so-called C-in-C is getting our boys killed just to look good to his liberal political base. A hundred years ago this would have been treason, now days the lame-stream media calls it a ‘victory’ for peace. God help us all.

7. Paul says:

Thank you for keepng us safe.May GOD be with your Family and you sir.

8. Gail says:

thank you for your service Lance Cpl. Robert Greniger. Peace be with your family during the hard road ahead.

9. CorriAnn says:

God Bless Combat Engineers. Semper Fi Lance Corporal Greniger; my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
    Most Sincerely,
    A Fellow USMC Combat Engineer’s Mom

10. Brian says:

Thank you, Cpl. Greniger for your service. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

11. Mike says:

I am sorry for his parents friends and family that have to live with his loss and him being led to his death for the power elite that use war to settle their differences.

12. Mark from mntaxwaste.com says:

RIP Our prayers go out to him and his family.

13. SwensonAshley says:

RIP Robert, Thanks you so much for serving this country. Ill miss all our fun times in your garage, running me over with the motor jeeps lol. And when we ran into.eachother in Farmington, the look on your face was priceless and the hug wad unforgettable! That’s when you told me your being ship over seas. I told you id see you on leave, I regret not seeing you but I know ill see you when its my time! You are an amazing person, an awsome friend, great brother & son! You are truly miss by many! You’ll always be in my heart, my thoughts and parayers go to you and your family! I LOVE YOU ROBERT❤

1. Doug Speer says:

You gave your life for our freedom you are a true American hero,God bless your family thank you.