Canterbury Park To Reopen Thursday

SHAKOPEE, Minn. (AP) — With the Minnesota government shutdown over, Canterbury Park in Shakopee plans to reopen Thursday morning.

President and CEO Randy Sampson says the doors will open at 10 a.m. for the card casino, simulcast racing will start around midday and live racing will return at 7 p.m. for the first time in three weeks.

Canterbury laid off about 1,000 employees when the shutdown began July 1. Sampson says their lives were turned upside down, and it cost horse owners and jockeys well over $1 million in purse money.

Sampson also says publicly traded Canterbury Park Holding Corp. took “a very significant hit” to its revenues but hasn’t determined yet what the impact on earnings will be.

The Running Aces Harness Park in Columbus also plans to reopen at 10 a.m. Thursday.

Comments

1. Poker Rights! says:

The WSOP going on we haven’t even been able to play in MN. 1st they take away online then they close Canterbury & Running Aces. This country is pathetic.

2. P:enny says:

I think the state needs to get its priorities straight — the first thing that is back up and working is gambling and horse racing!

3. Poker Rights! says:

1st of all Penny (moron), Canterbury runs on it’s own and the only thing needed is a gaming commissioner to oversee the horse racing. They have nothing to do with the state other than that.

1. IwonderIF says:

the gaming commissioner regulates the races…. and who does this guy work for… Education is awesome Penny – just a thought

4. Little Mark says:

Well we could go with the Vikings stadium and the request that the Stae help out or the other numerous request of socialism that MN has become famous for.

5. Penny says:

My point you imbeciles, is that the state felt it more important to get the race track up before getting the other less vital agencies like Education, Child-care assistance, services for the deaf, criminal back ground checks, the licenseing board for nurses, doctors etc.
    That says where you priorities are!

1. Penny says:

Let me apologize to everyone on this forum. I’m suffering from PMS this week and my boyfriend is leaving me for persoanl hygiene reasons. I want to save water as well as whales and he cant stand the smell. It’s a difficult time for me so I hope you please understand my lack of impulse control, my shallow thoughts and superflous determination..

1. Pound foolish says:

Apology accepted. Aren’t you glad they are serving liquor again though? Now you have a chance at another boyfriend.