Herman Cain: Bachmann’s Migraines Are A Non-Issue

DOVER, N.H. (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain declined to raise questions about fellow contender Michele Bachmann’s health Thursday night, dismissing the Minnesota congresswoman’s migraine headaches as a “non-issue” in the GOP contest.

“If she’s showing up for her events, and she’s doing what she needs to do as a United States congresswoman, people shouldn’t worry about her migraines,” Cain told The Associated Press after a fundraiser for the New Hampshire GOP. “My wife has migraine headaches. I understand migraines. So I just think it’s a non-issue.”

Bachmann’s health has become the focus of intense scrutiny in recent days after a media report claimed she suffers from sometimes-incapacitating headaches.

Bachmann insists the health problem does not interfere with her ability to do her job. But other Republican presidential contenders, namely former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, suggested this week that the issue is a legitimate concern.

Cain did not follow suit Thursday night, although he and Bachmann are fighting to win over much the same bloc of tea party voters. A recent Iowa poll showed Cain in third place among likely caucus-goers, behind Bachmann and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. Nationally, he remains relatively unknown, however.

Cain likened Bachmann’s health problem to his own battles with liver and colon cancer.

He said he’s been cancer-free for five years, but continues to monitor the situation closely. He had his latest round of test this week and reported having a clean bill of health.

“I get a written statement from my doctor tomorrow such that it won’t be an issue,” Cain said. “People sometimes are chasing shadows rather than, what you going to do about foreign affairs, economy? … Let’s focus on the big stuff.”

Comments

1. Mark from Minnesota Tax Waste says:

So what! President Obama smokes! This is a story?

1. drts says:

Smoke doesn’t come out of his ears.

1. Jim says:

Clinton lied about Monica Lewinski to the Supreme Court? LOL.

2. Me says:

Wrong again, Mark. The President quit smoking quite a while ago.

3. kathy says:

Hi Mark, Yes, it is a story. Headaches come with different cause. Severe headaches can also be related to unresolved emotional disturbances, as another among other examples.

In this case, I would be inclined to look at this reason first in her case. Her ambition in spite of the long term butt of jokes and real ridicule about her thinking and analysis process is suggestive of someone a bit lost from within.

Typically, the candidate with real potential to win this highest office is someone who thinks with clarity and is spontaneous. Looking back for more than forty years, I recall the debates bring this into focus best. In the case of George Bush, the attention he stirred came at a time when too many were lost in their own indulgences for a time.

That’s not so true anymore.

Her headaches are the least of her problem.

2. Jack Johnsonn says:

It was reported yesterday that gov. Dayton didn’t show up to greet state workers because of a headache, maybe he should get this type of scrutiny too.

1. quentin says:

No, his was the result of a hangover.

2. Bob says:

ALCOHOLISM IS A DISEASE! LEAVE HIM ALONE! Minnesotans need to start being concerned with themselves not the personal lives of our politicians.

1. quentin says:

Forgot, Bob, It’s a disease. He caught it from a toilet seat. It’s not his fault. I get it.

2. former drinker says:

Hey bob, it is easy to quit drinking, I drank for 26 years and just quit, been 10 years now, and I drank a case of beer and 1/2 a fifth a vodka a day. It is not a disease, people just want to leave reality, and dayton does not know what to do if he has to face reality. he just does not have the will power.

1. Frank says:

Every person is exactly like you, right? Ignorant

3. See BS says:

Corporate Media Fascists don’t like Michelle that’s all.

1. v says:

Corporate Media Fascists. That’s a good one.
      Next time you use a term…. pull out a dictionary. You just described the GOP.

1. Tom says:

@ V

When you are running for President everything comes out! If Bachmanns followers don’t like this sort of thing then better have their nutty pride and joy get out of the race because things will only get more intense.

1. Give me liberty says:

WRONG!

You are ignorant Tom.

None of Obama’s radical relationships were looked into or reported by the liberal media. They had to be dragged out by conservatives and then were quickly swept under the rug. Much more concern then a medical condition that can be controlled by medication.

The majority of people are getting sick of this slanted, one sided reporting by the media.

2. Gary says:

BTW, if you’re such a fan of her, you should know you spelled her name wrong.

1. Tom says:

@ Gary

I am NOT a fan of hers. I was making a point that her followers who are making posts and complaining about this issue being brought up and saying it is not a big deal. When you are running for Presidents everything about you know matter how small will come out. And if they don’t like this sort of thing now, then wait until things really start to become tense in the race.

4. Angus says:

If she is elected President it will be the American citizens who will have migraines.

5. CYA TPAW says:

TPAW bad move. I suffer from migraines and you just lost my vote.

1. Charlie says:

Yeah, T-Paw is desperate to keep from falling off the map…
      so this is an obvious stretch and he should leave it alone… too bad.

2. dropped a few points in my book says:

Agreed. If he starts the typical in-party bashing to win the GOP nomination I’m no longer interested in what he has to say. Disappointed, Tpaw.

6. v says:

She blew it.
    She stated that her health problems don’t interfere with her ability to do her job.

What a perfect opportunity to chalk up all her nonsense and bumbling to an illness!

Hey Michele… you’re overdue for another rewrite of American History!

1. Chris says:

@ v…

what kind of lame comments are those?!

you are the one that is really out there if you think that is a logiccal connection…

please spare us all of this nonsense that is spewed like it is legitimate!

1. Jim says:

I agree with v. I assume that she has a migraine at least half the time. How else do you explain the crazy stuff she says?

1. King says:

She is brain dead the other half of time .

2. Tom says:

@ Chris

You seem to take the non-sense that Bachmann speaks as being legit.

1. Chris says:

@ Tom… I am not saying that she belongs in Washington, and hopefully does not make it… I am just trying to filter some of the BS that gets posted… lots of exagerations and speculation… we need to be objective and fair… this election will sort itself out without some people making fools of themselves by posting things that they won’t take responsibility for… Thanks.

7. Jack Noff says:

Why did the republican cross the road?

1. tom says:

to get one of obamys handouts that 51 percent of the rest of the country gets.

8. meg says:

Even if i wanted to vote for Bachmann (pause for laughter), I now wouldn’t. My husband gets migraines that shut him down for two days. He can’t see, he can’t speak, he can’t grip things. He gets nausea and diarrhea. He needs to be in a quiet, black, cool room. I can’t get him to come out for dinner much less make decisions on matters of national security. Migraines have a wide range of intensity, but if it was bad enough to keep her away from an event, you have to assume they keep her down at other times, too.

1. Seriously says:

Yikes, Meg. Saying you won’t vote for someone based on an uncontrollable illness is no different than saying you won’t vote for someone based on the color of their skin. And no, I don’t like Michelle either… but it’s the principal of your statement.

1. The Architect says:

It’s hugely different, and the fact that you weren’t able to instantly identify that fact is the actual disturbing part here.

An “uncomfortable illness?” You make it sound like she had a rash that is going away. Migraines are debilitating. Otherwise they’re not migraines, they’re headaches and those are significantly different than a migraine.

1. Seriously says:

It’s hugely not different.

A. I said uncontrollable. It’s big word, but if you sound it out I’m sure it will come to you.
          B. Thank you for the news flash on migraines, I realize this. Does not change the fact that it’s a strange reason to not vote for someone.
          C. Obama smokes, so should we not cast a vote for him because we can’t tell when he’ll keel over from the debilitating effects of that?

1. The Architect says:

It’s different than color of skin.

I don’t need your help with reading comprehension. I have a college education and am quite capable.

People have all sorts of “strange reasons” for not voting for someone. People didn’t vote for Obama based on the misconception that he was muslim. Now THERE’S something stupid.

People who smoke do not routinely “keel over from the debilitating effects” of it. What debilitating effects exactly should we be expecting to see?

2. meg says:

All I meant is that migraines are not just “headaches.” Most people who get them are not highly functioning for anywhere from an hour or two to a few days. And many times they are triggered by stress, fatigue, etc. … factors that are, I would assume, rather prevalent when running the country. There’s a difference between skin color and not being able to speak without slurring words or saying the wrong word. If i ask my husband a question during a migraine, I have to wait for him to find the right words to answer. That could be kinda scary in a president, who has people rushing off to do what they’ve been told without waiting to see if the president really said what he/she meant. And I didn’t speculate on her health – I DID state that migraine intensities vary. My presumption of her migraines came from the news that she had to pull out of an event because on one.

9. KEVIN says:

AND I CAN’T VOTE FOR OBAMA. HE IS A PAIN IN MY BACKSIDE.

1. Me says:

But what about your other condition. Head up posterior? Seems like that would be a more pressing issue for you.

10. KEVIN says:

JACK NOFF, TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. THERE WAS A MOB OF LIBERALS ON THE OTHER SIDE GETTING READY TO DO DAMAGE TO PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PROPETY TO PROVE THEY ARE RIGHT.

1. kevinisdumb says:

Incorrect. The answer is: nobody knows, they are so stupid that no one understands why they do anything.

11. PL says:

It’s a good thing she gets headaches or she would have had 10 kids…surprizes any one would want to reproduce with that B anyways!!

1. Rob Bixby says:

Like her husband is really into women anyway

12. Gary says:

Personally, I don’t have a problem with Bachmann’s headaches. What I have a problem with is that she’s bat s#!t crazy and completely incompetent for any level of government.

1. Seriously says:

Exactly. Why use the headaches as a tool to point out her deficiencies… those come out loud and clear even without the migraines. I’m a conservative, but Michelle is somehin’ else…

2. Tom says:

@ Gary

Well John Boehner put her in the Intelligence committe to keep the nutty Tea Party happy!

13. drummer says:

I think what Herman is saying is that she has bigger issues than this.

14. drts says:

During a crisis I would rather she were incapacitated than in there making decisions.

15. yeppers says:

I love the reason Bachman is in the news. Very entertaining areticles..

16. KEVIN says:

A REPLY TO KEVINISDUMB, AND I KNOW WHY YOU WENT WITH THAT HANDLE. I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU THAT NO LIBERAL HAS BEEN WILLING TO ANSWER. WHEN ARE YOU LIBERALS, UNIONS AND THE DFL GOING TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE DAMAGES, EXTRA POLICING DURING THE RNC NATIONAL CONVENTION I 2008 AND ALL THE DAMAGES TO THE WISCONSIN CAPITOL AND GROUNDS DURING YOUR PIECEFULL DEMINSTRATIONS? I’M SURE YOU DON’T WANT THE TAX PAYERS TO PICK UP THE TAB. ACTUALLY ANY LIB. CAN FEEL FREE TO ANSWER.

1. kevin is a moron says:

You left your caps lock on.

1. GOPSUX says:

And he typed piecefull and deminstrations. Atypical of a modern conservative. Ha ha.

2. samekevinsdumb says:

Turn off your caps lock.It wasn’t that important.

3. Gary says:

I’m sorry, I didn’t get that last part — could you speak up, Kevin?

4. Tom says:

@ Kevin

How about this, us liberal will pay OUR tab once you conservatives pay your tab for 2 wars, two tax cuts, and other spending that you conservatives did between 2000 -2006.

5. Rob Bixby says:

Which damages are those, exactly in Wisconsin?

Also, I don’t think that the anarchists at the RNC were really democrats, they’re anti-political. Its funny how everything you disagree with must be a DFL thing. Make you should wake up and actually have a look at the world around you instead of burying yourself in right wing radio all the time.

17. KEVIN says:

ANSWER MY QUESTION LIB A$$ES

1. LIB says:

CHECK IS IN THE MAIL.

1. Gary says:

Haha! I love his “QUESTION NO LIBERAL HAS BEEN WILLING TO ANSWER” — I’m just picturing some nutjob walking around town screaming some rambling, incoherent question at anyone he assumes to be a “LIB A$$” and then being proud of himself for thinking he’s smart, even though his QUESTION is at best rhetorical.

Seriously, thanks Kev, for playing the role of a whack-job conservative. It’s really cute.

1. LIB says:

I think I’ve seen him, dressed up like Paul Revere and carrying an old lantern.

1. JIM says:

KEVIN, I CAN’T READ YOUR POSTS. CAN YOU MAKE YOUR CAPITAL LETTERS ANY BIGGER? MAYBE BOLD AND UNDERLINED WILL HELP. THANKS!

2. GOPSUX says:

Poor kevin. If he keeps trying he might get there some day. You have to admire his pluck, though.

18. DJ says:

What do presidents Thomas Jefferson, Ulysses S. Grant, and John F. Kennedy all have in common ? All suffered from migraines. I think people can find a number of better reasons why not to vote for Michele Bachmann if they wish but the whole migraine headache issue is totally baseless.

19. kevin says:

Gary, and all libs. you are the do as I say group. It’s ok to distroy other people’s property as long as it forces your goals and ideas on someone else. I have never seen or heard a bigger bunch of phonies and hipocrites in all my life. If this is what the country will be looking foward to in the next election cycle I doubt our country will servive with your style of thinking.
    Also I can’t tank the democrats enough for voting to tax social security and then pretending to defend the elderly. Did I mention the hipocrite before.

1. drts says:

Is Kevin your real name? Is that you Michele?

2. The Architect says:

This is a telling statement. You actually believe the liberal platform includes “It’s ok to distroy other people’s property as long as it forces your goals and ideas on someone else.”

If it’s true that you believe that, then I think it’s safe to award you the “Stupidest Commenter of the Week” Award. It’s very prestigious. Congratulations on your accomplishment!!😀

1. The Architect too says:

More of an accomplishment than what’s hangin on your wall I’m sure.

1. The Architect says:

Really? What’s hanging on my wall?

20. Jedi says:

“If she’s showing up for her events, and she’s doing what she needs to do as a United States congresswoman, people shouldn’t worry about her migraines,” Cain told The Associated Press.

You are all taking the bait on the migraine story just like she wants you to. At the end of the day she wants to mask the fact that she does/has done nothing as a U.S. Congresswomen.

Nothing as in “not a thing!”

And who the hell is Herman Cain?

21. kevinisstilldumb says:

Poor kevin is still having a great deal of difficulty with his spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, grammar and capitalization. You see, kevin my dear, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to have just a teeny tiny bit of communication skills.

22. kevin says:

drts alias hipocrite yes kevin my real name and I earn my own way never been on welfare either like most of you.

1. kevinisstilldumb says:

See above post.

2. drts says:

Don’t want to jump to conclusions but, Kevin, are you missing some buttons on your keyboard?

23. kevin says:

WEN U DUMB CONS TAKE RESPNSBLTY 4 WARS AND RECKING CONTRY AND BUSH REK EVRYTING AND DUMB RICH NOT PAY TAXEZ ANSWER MY QUESTION YOU MEAN DUMB CONS AND ANSWER ANSWER ANSWER QUESTION DUMB CONNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Lora says:

Kevin,

Turn off your caps lock, grab a dictionary (or a browser with a spell check), sober up (I suggest you don’t drink before noon or from the looks of it, quit drinking at midnight).

24. Mike D says:

Isn’t it fun to mock kevin? He is such an easy mark. He is a tea bag poster child.

1. Bachmann VP Potential says:

kEviN foR VISE PEZIDANT!!!!! YAAHH keViN!

25. KEVIN says:

ARCHITECT, YOU AND THE ALL OTHER LIBS. WILL PROVE ME RIGHT AT THE NEXT RNC CONVENTION. IT WILL BE A MOB MENTALITY AND POLICE ACTION WILL NEED TO HAPPEN TO DEFEND LIFE AND PROPERTY RIGHTS.
    AND I LEFT THE CAP TAB ON JUST FOR ALL OF YOU
    ALSO I DIDN’T PUT A PERIOD ON THE END OF MY LAST SENTENCE BECAUCE YOU LIBS HAVE IT.

1. LIB says:

Calm down Kevin It’ll be OK. Unplug your computer. Have a cool drink. Read the Bible. Watch Fox News.

2. Sean says:

@ KEVIN
      In the past when I have called you out on your position you are as silent as a mime. Perhaps you should be a little wiser about calling people hypocrites. It would also do yourself a little favor be not making everything an either/or situation. Trying to blame guilt through association. Should a person make a reach and say Norway is a liberal, socialist country. Somebody blew up a building and shot people, Kevin hates liberals. Kevin supports the terrorists in Norway. Kevin better pay up for the lives lost there?

3. Weee! says:

You go Kevin! I like it that you rile up the rabble!

1. Jack Noff says:

kevin is the rabble.

2. Glen says:

Kevin is chicken poop just like you. He never answered the question. Right wing sissy boys.

4. The Architect says:

I’m not a lib, so I won’t be there or at any other convention for that matter.

5. Darby says:

Even if there was property damage from leftist idiots it would still be less damage than the rightist idiots have done in the name of politics.. The kevins of the world forget real quickly.

6. Rob Bixby says:

You have to remember that it is the RNC what wants to take away social security and medicare from people, and continue to give tax breaks to the rich and to corporations at the expense of the middle class. If you don’t think that’s reason enough to be angry, then I think you’re blind.

26. BeenThereDoneThat says:

Instead of addressing the issues in true Liberal form you attack the person. There was trouble and a mess at the RNC from protestors, when the unions gathered in Madison…another mess. I am not a Bachmann fan, but this country would not be in the debt hole it is in today if she was, or McCain was POTUS. I want Herman Cain, who understands budgets and spending controls.

1. drummer says:

And pizza!

2. Sean says:

Cain is a turnaround specialist. Short term fixes and leaves. Notice that the business do not sustain themselves after he leaves. SO what you want is another short sighted person in it for themselves. Over the long haul it has only been Cain who gets rich.

27. meow says:

Reading these posts is seriously my entertainment for the day. It’s like a comedy act in some odd way. I love that we all have different views on various issues.

Why do Republicans seem like such an angry, fear-based group bent on controlling diverse people’s lifestyles (through religion and laws) if it doesn’t conform to their own? I’m not seeing the Democrates have these behaviors or dysfunctions. Just an observation but maybe something to think about?

Even though it gives me a good laugh or chuckle, I think it might help if we were all just a bit more respectful of each other and less rude. People who don’t attack on here with actual intelligent things to contribute are taken a bit more seriously… IMO.

OH forget it, IT’S OPEN SEASON… TEAR EACH OTHER APART!!!

28. KEVIN says:

Weee, I actually like playing with them. They are always right and I’m always wrong and It just fuels my fire. I think I WILL PUT ON THE CAP LOCK NOW AND MISS SPELL A WORD.

1. kevinisstillamoron says:

Still having great difficulties.

29. BeenThereDoneThat says:

Democrats are only against White Conservative Christians ….and tend to paint us with one broad stroke. (If we are Black, Hispanic like me or Gay) we must be mentally unbalanced to think we do not want the government to take care of us

30. KEVIN says:

BEENTHEREDONETHAT, a problem the dems are having is that the entitlement train they’ve been on for years is about to be derailed. All these hand outs are about to become a thing of the past. It’s going to make these dems very touchy. TOUCHY-TOUCHY!!

1. kevin says:

I am extremely ignorant.

1. kevin says:

I wish I had some facts.

1. kevin says:

I have to watch fox news now so I can learn what I am supposed to say today. I will be back soon with more baseless, nonfactual statements.

1. Metal DJ says:

@kevin … go watch some more Bill Mahr, CNN & Jon Stewart. If you think the left doesn’t put out “talking points”, you’re crazy.

2. Darby says:

It is very strange that someone gets great glee out of providing fodder for people to show how stupid you are. You think you get people riled up. More like you provide the same humor. Like picking on the stand up comic who thinks they are funny.

3. Rob Bixby says:

Do you consider social security a handout? Or Medicare a handout? You must forget that you pay into it with every paycheck, so you can withdraw when you reach the elligable age.

4. jordanj says:

Entitlements are not something that someone pays into. Entitlements are the dollars and benefits going to Congress and anyone else in the Government. Look what Weiner received when he left, that’s entitlements. I call it as I see it!

31. Metal DJ says:

I like turtles.

32. HooDatIS? says:

herman cain and michelle bachman both give me migraines they are absolutel idiots who are embarassing america

33. Bachsyphlis says:

look at the flaKE THIS WAY …SHE COULD BE BED -RIDDEN AND ON THE DEATH BED …it wouldn’t matter as duffus#2, aka Marcus, will be running things anyway….or so she says as she’s just the Christian wife. lol
    God help this country if she is elected and maybe God help the world that she may destroy too

34. Bill says:

Is Godfather’s Pizza still in business?

35. jordanj says:

Hilary could not win against Obama, what makes Michelle think she can? There are too many males in America who think women are crazy and would not vote for a female. Michelle, if you want a Republican in the White House, get out of the race.