Humane Society Urges Caution After Dogs Die In Hot Car
Get Breaking News First
Today's Most Popular Video
STEWARTVILLE, Minn. (WCCO) – Olmsted County authorities are investigating after two dogs died of heat exhaustion after being left in a car with the windows up.
Investigators say a woman left her six-year-old Yorkshire terriers in the vehicle while she was inside a restaurant in Stewartville. The case is being referred to prosecutors for possible charges.
Keith Streff is an investigator with the Animal Humane Society.
“Even though Rover wants to come with, we all know it’s best to leave Rover home. That’s the safest place to be on these hot and humid days,” he said.
NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Susie Jones Reports
Streff called the death of the two dogs in Olmsted County a stark reminder of the dangers of a hot car.
“Heat kills,” he said.
Humans have the advantage of sweating, whereas dogs pant to cool down.
“And if that air that they are inhaling, is as warm or warmer than they are expelling they are going to overheat quickly and there will be health problems,” Streff said.
He also said your car can heat up quickly. He has a device that measures the air temperature in vehicles.
“And I’ve personally temped out in vehicles that were higher than 130 degrees,” Streff said.
Again, the best advice, leave the dog home in air conditioning.