MANKATO, Minn. (WCCO) — The Minnesota Vikings have cut left tackle Bryant McKinnie from the roster.
The Vikings reported the move on the team’s official blog, saying it marked “the end of an era.”
“This decision, while not an easy one, is in the best interests of our football team as we move forward preparing for the season,” said head coach Leslie Frazier. “We appreciate Bryant’s contributions to the Vikings and we wish him the best in the future.”
McKinnie has been a member of the team for nine years. He was released following what the blog cited as “suspect play over the past two seasons.” He had been placed on the non-football injury list earlier this week.
The blog also cited “ancillary issues.” Just today, Sports Illustrated reported McKinnie arrived at training camp in Mankato “well north of his listed 335 pounds and out of shape.”
Earlier Tuesday, McKinnie tweeted, “Its been fun.”
The Vikings said they may fill in the gap left by McKinnie with offensive tackle Charlie Johnson, who has been with the Indianapolis Colts for five seasons after being drafted in 2006.