Firefighters: Last-Week Lightning Sparks Warehouse Fire
Get Breaking News First
ROSEVILLE, Minn. (WCCO) — A fire that crews were called to Wednesday night may have actually been smoldering for days. Fire crews said lightning more than a week ago may have started it.
Witnesses saw lightning strike the Woof Room, a dog daycare and hotel in Roseville, but say it was almost two weeks ago. The week prior, fire crews were called there because the roof was smoking and then used their hoses. The same situation happened Wednesday night.
Animals in the building at the Woof Room were evacuated after Wednesday night’s fire but on Thursday, owners were back dropping their pets off.
The owner of an auto detailing business next door said he heard and saw two jolts and the second struck the Woof Room.
“All of a sudden, it just went ba-boom!” said Steve Hirman, the owner of Steve’s Automotive Detailing. “It was bright and it was loud.”
One of the owners of the pet motel wasn’t ready to comment on the situation.
Fire officials said, to their knowledge, the lightning strike happened Aug. 30, eight days before they were called to the building Wednesday night.
“I haven’t seen anything like this before,” said Roseville Fire Chief Tim O’Neill. “This is new for us.”