Terror Suspect’s Minn. Court Appearance Continued
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A former Minneapolis resident will make his first Minnesota court appearance on charges he helped recruit about 20 young men to travel to Somalia and fight with the terror group al-Shabab.
A U.S. District Court clerk says Friday’s hearing for Mohamud Said Omar was rescheduled to Monday afternoon in St. Paul. He had been in custody in the Netherlands since 2009 and was extradited to face U.S. charges.
The 45-year-old Omar is accused of giving travel money to some of the young Somali men who left Minneapolis to fight in Somalia in 2007 and 2008. A Minnesota law professor helping represent Omar says he is mentally ill and does not understand the charges against him.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)