Minnesota’s ACT Scores Among Best In Nation

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota high school students scored above the national average on the ACT college entrance exam.

The state’s class of 2011 scored an average of 22.9 out of a possible 36, ranking Minnesota students among the best in the nation.

The average score is unchanged from last year and is nearly two points above the national average of 21.1.

Minnesota Public Radio News reports comparing scores between states is difficult because participation varies widely. Seven states had a higher average ACT score than Minnesota, but in each of those states, fewer than a third of all graduates took the test. In Minnesota, 72 percent of graduates took the ACT, also a new high for the state.

The results were released Wednesday by the independent, nonprofit ACT.

Comments

1. Tan pup says:

If these are best in nation; nothing to be proud of. Sad, very sad.

1. Shattered Image says:

Which part is sad, exactly? That we, as a nation, score an average of 21 on the ACT?

My college roommate scored a 16 or 17. He’s now a prominent business leader and on several real estate zoning committees in the Tri State Area.

2. I'm no moron says:

I was gonna say the same thing. When I took the ACT in the 80’s, my score of 30 wasn’t high enough to get me into the school of my choice.

1. A Man Called Horse says:

Wow, serious?

I had a 27 composite score, and I was accepted for admission to U-Wisconsin, U-Illinois, U-St. Thomas, THE Ohio St. U, and U-Mich.

2. alan says:

Yeah, right. “Best in the nation”. When the VAST majority of the nation takes the SAT, not the ACT. The headline should be “best in the midwest”. Maryland and Massachusetts would blow the doors off Minnesota if they took the same test.

Please.

1. Shattered Image says:

Colleges all over the country use the ACT score as a benchmark of the student’s academic achievement levels from high school.

I never took the SAT. I only took the ACT, and there wasn’t a school in the country I applied to that required the SAT instead.

You might want to brush up on your knowledge of this subject prior to commenting further, alan.

By the way, what did YOU get on the ACT?

1. albert says:

Colleges all over the country accept the ACT, but many times more kids TAKE the SAT, which was the point of my posting, which you obviously missed.

ACT = 35, SAT – 1520 (1600 old basis)

3. albert says:

Even worse – AMONG the best in the nation, and the spread between the MN and national score is 1.8 points. Just how “best” is MN?

This article is pure schlock.

1. Shattered Image says:

That comprehensive score being 1.8 above the average is a considerable number.

I don’t think you really know what you’re talking about, albert. No offense.

1. albert says:

You have absolutely no basis to state that 1.8 is “considerable”, unless you have inside access to the data. It is merely your opinion. My statement was that the article did not inform us of that which you are baselessly guessing.

1. Shattered Image says:

So 1.8 is not almost 9% of 21.1?

A departure of nearly 10% from the National Average is certainly to be considered “considerable”, albert.

Additionally, I cannot for a second believe you scored a 35 on the ACT. (comprehensive score)

4. Stats R Us says:

albert:

Google up T-tests, chi squares, median interpolation and other statistical measures. The ACT score is not unlike the Richter scale.- a 4.5 quake is tens times as great as a 4.4 quake, not just .1 % more powerful. Statistical reporting is much more involved than simple math.