Wis. Man Gets Community Service For Killing Cats

OSHKOSH, Wis. (AP) — A South Milwaukee man convicted of killing his mother-in-law’s cats has been sentenced to 120 hours of community service.

A judge on Friday also barred 26-year-old Payne R. Kaddatz from caring for or owning any pets.

Prosecutors say Omro police found two dead cats in a cardboard box in a trash bin May 20.

Kaddatz initially told police he found the cats dead. The criminal complaint says he later told investigators he killed them.

He says the cats belonged to his mother-in-law. He says one was old and the other had cancer.

According to an Oshkosh Northwestern report, he told his mother-in-law he was taking the cats to a rescue farm, but instead he wrapped them in a towel and struck them in the head with a wooden piece.

1. Owen says:

I hope he doesn’t get to serve in my community.

2. jan says:

Mine either, he should be made to wear a big sign telling the public what he did and have to listen to their comments. That’s not nearly enough puishment but it’s about all you can do legally. He’d probably get a lawyer to say his civil eights were violated. It seems fitting that a worthless piece of trash should clean up worthless trash as part of his community service.

3. Joe from Mn. says:

First off I do not believe in cruelty to humans or animals. Now if a person is to kill an animal instantly by hitting it over the head or by shooting it, it would be just as humane or more so than bringing them in and paying a hit man or woman to do the killing.
    Thats right when you bring them in they euthanize them. The word, euthanize, makes it sound like they ( veterinary – hit man ) makes the animal young again. Make no mistake, when an animal is euthanized IT IS DEAD.
    I put down, euthanize, kill, my own pets,pets that I loved very much. They were with me happy and content till the end, not laying on a cold table scared and nervous. I hope when I am not able to take care of myself, some one will euthanize me.

1. jeff says:

i have to agree with you joe. i’ve worked with vets and seen animals put down. it is not pretty at all. it’s even less pretty to watch. if i had my own choice i’d rather have a bullet in the head than be brought to the vet.

4. Iconoclast says:

As an effeminate gay male in a longterm domestic partnership of 14 years,I positively abhor any violence whatsoever to these fabulous kittens..My partner Bruce & I would have gladly adopted these fluffy felines in our home..

5. Pundit says:

Sounds like the purr-fect punishment.
    He’s probably not feline to good about it.
    He’s probably not too paw-leased at all.

6. O says:

Sounds like the cats got what they had coming to them !

1. Shelly Michels says:

1. O says:

Why yes,yes I am thank you !!!!!

7. Shelly Michels says:

8. snowman says:

You Minnesotans are real hillbillies!

9. How you figure? says:

“A South Milwaukee man” does that sound like this is a Minnesotan. I guess you can just read into things better than we can huh snowman?