Minn. Somali Man To Record Stories At Refugee Camp

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A young spoken word artist who fled Somalia as a child is returning to a refugee camp where he lived for five years to record the stories of those suffering from a devastating famine.

Abdifatah Farah goes by the stage name Abdi Phenomenal. He says he’s nervous to return to the camp in Dadaab, Kenya, but believes the power of the human voice will bring change, raise awareness and give people hope.

Farah is leaving Friday with Matt Erickson, of Poet Nation. They hope to put videos online during their trip, and plan to create a documentary. The project is called “Voices of Dadaab.”

The Dadaab camp was built in 1991 for 90,000 people, but now holds more than 400,000 refugees because of Somalia’s long-running conflict and the famine.

Comments

1. Joe says:

It’s good to see that local Somalians are interested in connecting with their homeland. That’s good for everyone involved.

1. Send them home says:

And who cares

2. just sayin says:

Don’t come back.

While I understand the famine going on there, their own corrupt government doesn’t even help them. All that donated aid is controlled and not given to those that need it.

3. Everyone is an immigrant at one point in history says:

Wow. It’s great to see all the racists ban together. Please. Do us a favor and jump off a bridge while you’re at it.

1. Kevin says:

Oh gosh…have them move in and ruin your hood like mine….liberal bs…..everyone is a racist who refuses forced diversity…..

1. Jesus I Am says:

You know, Kev, I look middle eastern and not lily white like the picture hanging in your church. In fact, I’ve been told that I look somewhat like Gadhafi. On special occasions, I even wear the same kind of hat that he wears. I hope this doesn’t keep you from worshiping me. If it’s any consolation, satan looks oriental.

4. me says:

Go join a jihad – and don’t forget to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE – until you’ve got that suicide bomber thing down perfect …

5. Open eyed says:

I enjoy reading the comments on different topics. It allows for me to view different opinions of the people. I have never commented,,,until now. Unless you are NAtive AMerican we are all decentants of immigrants. This man is just trying to preserve history, reconnect with his past and help the future. I find it shocking that some people would take time out of their busy days to write rude comments. Yes there is a corrupt givernment but I feel pretty confident that the starving children and Mr. Farrah have nothing to do with that. I would just like to encourage people to be compassionate. We all fall down sometimes and need a helping hand.

6. rj says:

Send a pirate ship over to pick the things up, good target practice.