Minn. Man Comes Face-To-Face With Black Bear

MELRUDE, Minn. (AP) — A 20-year-old Melrude man says he recently came face-to-face with a large black bear, which sniffed his cheek and snorted at him before wandering away.

Mason Cavanaugh was at a cabin last month on Dinham Lake. He was sitting on the porch when he felt what he thought was yet another pesky mosquito on the back of his neck.

He slapped at the offender and felt something wet and furry. He turned to see the bear rearing up on its hind legs. He was so stunned that he didn’t budge.

The bear stood for about 10 seconds before walking over to investigate some nearby bird feeders. Then it came back and sniffed Cavanaugh’s face, as he remained motionless.

A Duluth News Tribune report says it eventually ambled away.

1. Jean Tingey says:

That is a lovely story to read especially today the start of hunting.

2. just sayin says:

I would have soiled my pants.

3. thought says:

Wet and furry – I could almost see it, he slaps at it, wet and furry, and starts to smile and says, “ah baby now thats what I am talking about, come on!” and he turns around… surprise!

4. Zing says:

That story could have had a Grizzly end.

5. egad says:

Incredible. I echo thought’s reaction. This had a lucking ending considering it is fall when the bears are grumpy and stuffing themselves.

6. Gloria says:

This bear is lucky; thankfully, they aren’t sending officials out to round him up and shoot him. He obviously is quite a laid back guy. Sure hope he survives hunting season.

7. Zelda says:

Go to http://www.bear.org to learn more about black bears. It’s fascinating research. I’m not surprised that the black bear did nothing… they don’t attack humans. (Grizzlies, on the other hand!… )

8. markH says:

As a professional Jedi and self-taught Ninja, I would have had nothing to fear.

1. Eric K says:

You would have Chuck Norris to fear. Just saying.

9. Maggie says:

I would have scat my pants, then calmly said,,,,,,It’s Me Bear….🙂 Please go to http://www.bear.org to learn more about black bears….Fabulous research.