Minn. Child-Neglect Suspect Taken Back From Calif.
LAKEVILLE, Minn. (AP) — A Lakeville man accused of abandoning his son after his home went into foreclosure has been returned to Minnesota after he fled to California late last month.
The Dakota County sheriff’s office says Steven Alexander Cross was brought back to Minnesota on Friday.
Sheriff Dave Bellows says deputies flew to San Luis Obispo, Calif. That’s where Cross was being held after he was arrested on an outstanding warrant.
Bellows says Cross waived extradition. The 60-year-old is expected to be arraigned on a charge of child neglect next week.
Cross’s 11-year-old son woke in mid-July to find two letters from his father, one apologizing to the boy for leaving him and the other asking a neighbor to look after the boy.
Authorities say the boy has been staying with a relative. Here is WCCO-TV’s original report on the story.
(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)