Nearly 1,800 Arrested For DWI During Crackdown

ST. PAUL (WCCO) — More than 1,780 motorists were arrested during an 18-day statewide DWI enforcement effort.

The preliminary totals from the effort, which was conducted from Aug. 19 to Sept. 5, are at 1,787 arrests — all reported to the Department of Public Safety. Around the metro, 295 law enforcement agencies participated.

The consequences for a DWI include loss of a driver’s license for up to a year, up to $20,000 in legal costs, higher insurance rates and possible jail time.

As of July 1, all repeat offenders are required to have ignition interlock for at least a year, before having driving privileges restored. That also includes first-time offenders with an alcohol-concentration of twice the legal limit.

In Minnesota, one in seven drivers has a DWI on record. Last year, 29,918 motorists were arrested.

Comments

1. LushLand says:

sadly they missed the other 10,000
    Been on road at night all summer for work – insane number of impaired people everywhere…I mean everywhere
    Think the license plates should be changed to Land of 10,000 (and more) drunks.
    The whiskey plates can stay as is 😉

1. idiocracy says:

Are you sure you’re not including ‘stupid’ in there? Drivers have just gotten dumber and dumber.

Whiskey plates need to be a little more embarrassing. I see people driving like they’ve got regular plates. I would think that they would drive better since they have a target on them.

1. Steve says:

We used to be able to pull over vehicles JUST because they had Whiskey plates. The State Supreme Court ruled several years ago that doing so violated the 4th Amendment and that we needed Reasonable Suspicion to stop the vehicle.

2. Commonsense says:

Makes you wonder how many they missed – thats not alot when you think of it as State Wide – now if they could just get the other 10 thousand or so drivers off the road who do everything in their vehicle but drive than maybe just maybe the roads might be a little safer, until then I don’t hold out much hope.

3. Dave's Not Here says:

But hey, at least that horrible and natural marijuana is illegal, right???

1. jsus says:

Right, because that wouldn’t impair your driving at all… what a dumb comment.

1. yourmom says:

I drive high all the time. It doesn’t impair my driving. You must have no idea what it’s like to be stoned.

1. Otto says:

If being drunk or stoned doesn’t impair your driving…then you are a very pathetic driver in the first place and shouldn’t have a license at all

4. Steve Jackson says:

Drinking and driving is very serious, but what is being done about
    women on cell phones? I have had two bicyles destroyed and
    scares on my legs from woment on cell phones.

1. D Baker says:

It’s not just women on cell phones, Steve. I can’t count the number of times I’ve had to dodge men on cell phones as well.

1. jesus says:

Just wait, they’ll be passing a bill that will instate bluetooth connectivity in all vehicles. They are already making it mandatory for backup cameras. (raising the cost of your car)

1. Nail .... and nail 'em harder says:

first off – ya a damn far cry from being Jesus
          second – they can enforce only whats on the books.
          you use and get caught – you lose.
          My neighbor is in a wheelchair. Thats a 24×7 thing. A lousy worthless POS ran a light. Got 30 days in workhouse, served 10. It was #2 for him
          Mandatory year … period. And if I am an idiot – make it 10 for me as I know better

5. Andy says:

Dear wcco becaus esomeone says something ypudon’t agree with you won’t post it? You are all pathetic know wonder you’re the lowest rated news show in the twin cities.

1. Dave's Not Here says:

9 out of every 10 comments I submit don’t show up. They don’t have curse words, insults, or inappropriate material AT ALL. I’ll be shocked if this one shows up.

2. idiocracy says:

WCCO thanks you for your continued patronage. Being that they are ‘the lowest rated’ news in the Twin Cities, it means a lot that you continue to visit their site.

3. FrankV says:

Andy, did you type that with your nose? Not even close, buddy.

6. Andy says:

Waste of time and money

7. Reasonable says:

Guess they have to make up for lost revenue coming from the feds somehow or another.

DWI is a victimless crime. What you’re really worried about here is vehicular homicide and property damage from accidents which can also happen to sober people. Increase punishment if someone does something stupid and are found to be intoxicated (by alcohol or any other substance including cold medicine). Otherwise, let people be grown ups and take chances if they see fit.

All this anti-drinking nonsense is just leftovers from the useless prohibition era and the blue laws that followed.

1. Joey Olson says:

This is the truest statemnet I’ve read on this site ever. The stupid will be stupid and smart, smart. I say if you cause an accident and damage any property due to drinking and driving, you serve mandatory jail time and fines that will be coming out of a payroll until the end of 2013. People will think twice if there is mandatory jail time. I have drank and drove. A lot have. Because I will serve a night in jail and not 20,000 dollars but a couple grand. Seen it happen about 20 times to co-workers, friends, or family. I would never drink and drive if 1-3 month jail time happened.

8. TRuness says:

I blew a .22 didnt get a lawyer got a $200 fine no days in jail, and the overnight program, switched to progressive my insurance was $34 less than the company i was with prior to DWI. 1st offense is a slap on the wrist.

9. Bob T of Ogilvie says:

I have an idea that will hopefully draw attention at the state level (politicians…hello), with the state budget in a sad state, and law enforcement struggling with their budgets, have the first time offender pay a minimum fine of $20,000 which goes directly toward law enforcement. Add on a minimum of 200 hours of community service (jail for injuries incurred). This will make that one night of drinking more than a slap on the wrist.

10. Bob T of Ogilvie says:

Forgive me for rambling, but how about whiskey plate a delightful blaze orange? That should draw extra attention…