Eleanor Mondale Poling Dies At 51

SLIDESHOW: Remembering Eleanor

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) — Eleanor Mondale Poling, daughter of former Vice President Walter Mondale and a former WCCO Radio show host and WCCO-TV reporter, died early Saturday morning at age 51.

Poling had been battling brain cancer since 2005.

Poling is the daughter of former Vice President Walter Mondale and Joan Mondale. She is survived by her husband, Chan Poling, her parents and her two brothers, former Minnesota Sen. Ted Mondale and William Mondale.

Walter Mondale issued a statement to friends that read: “Joan and I must report that our wonderful daughter, Eleanor Mondale Poling, after her long and gutsy battle against cancer, went up to heaven last night to be with her angel. Thank you for all your friendship. She loved you. You will hear more about plans to celebrate her life in a short period but we wanted you to know as quickly as possible. We send our love.”

Poling attended St. Timothy’s Boarding School outside Baltimore, Md., and graduated from St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y. After graduation, she went to Hollywood to begin her career.

She started her television career at WCCO-TV in the 1980s. She then worked for the E! Online cable channel, hosting shows including “Wild On” and “E! News Live.”

Poling started as an aspiring actress, with bit parts in TV’s “Three’s Company” and “Dynasty.” She also attracted a fair amount of press coverage on her own. Her dalliance with the late rock musician Warren Zevon was detailed in “I’ll Sleep When I’m Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon,” a posthumous biography published by Zevon’s ex-wife in 2007.

In 1998, CBS News reported that Poling was one of four women Monica Lewinsky expressed resentment toward in taped conversations because of attention President Bill Clinton paid to them. (Mondale issued a statement saying her relationship with the president and his wife, Hillary, was “purely a friendship.”)

Poling was involved in her father’s 1984 presidential campaign, and made calls in 2002 in her father’s last campaign, when the former vice president took the ballot slot of Sen. Paul Wellstone, who died in a plane crash just days before the election.

In 2002, Poling started working as a reporter for ESPN, covering horse racing events. She also covered the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association for ESPN2.

After working for ESPN, Mondale reported on auto shows around the world for the Speed Channel before moving to CBS and working on the program “This Morning.”

In June 2005, Poling married Minneapolis musician Chan Poling, of the group the Suburbs. Mondale and her husband lived on a small farm in Prior Lake, Minn., where they raised miniature horses.

In the summer of 2005, Poling was diagnosed with brain cancer after a bout of seizures. She was in remission by the summer of 2006 and she moved back home to Minnesota and joined Susie Jones on WCCO Radio, co-hosting the “Mondale and Jones” program from 9 a.m. to noon.

“I was terrified of her at first, she was so big, but you talked to her for a minute and you realized she was just as regular as you could expect,” Jones said. “She was uncanny, she was unpredictable. She sparkled. She was gorgeous inside and out. And I’m going to miss her; I’m going to miss her so much.”

NewsRadio 830 WCCO’s Susie Jones Reports

Poling’s cancer returned in 2008 and again in 2009. She had been off the air since March 19, 2009, when she announced that her brain cancer had returned a second time. She had surgery to remove the tumor Aug. 12, 2009, at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and a posting on her CaringBridge website declared the surgery a success.

“She would send me texts about how her (cancer) scan was. She had it every six weeks, and she would report how it was and how big it was. She hated that part,” said Jones, who visited Mondale on Thursday to say goodbye. “She fought very hard. She did not want to die. She had a lot of dignity in the end, and died quietly and beautifully.”

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said he remembers Poling as a shy teenager who transformed into an accomplished woman.

The governor released a statement on Saturday, saying, “From the shy teenager I first met, Eleanor transformed — and transcended! — into a very beautiful, poised, multi-talented, and accomplished woman. She loved her family, friends, and animals, as she loved life. She battled her cancer heroically and endured its agonies courageously. I extend my deepest condolences to her family, who loved her so dearly.”

Poling was married twice before she married Poling, first to Chicago Bears offensive lineman Keith Van Horne, and then to fellow DJ Greg Thunder.

Memorial arrangements have not yet been announced.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. kristy says:

Rest in peace, Eleanor. You gave it your all and did it with dignity and no whining. Your positive outlook was inspirational for all people with illnesses—I know it helped you a lot.

2. Steve says:

Rest In Peace Dear Eleanor. You gave it the good fight.

1. Thomas says:

And you feel a page of condolence is the best place for this kind of rhetoric? Do you plan on attending her funeral so that you can relay the same message to her family in person? You need serious help.

Be at peace, Eleanor.

3. Pate says:

My condolences to the Mondale family.RIP,Eleanor.You fought your illness with bravery and strength.

4. Paul Kuhlmann says:

My condolences to the family Walter I’m sorry You always fought for the people and the planet I have nothing but respect for you and grieve with you for the bright star that was your daughter May she rest in peace

5. Kristin says:

I can’t emphasize how much this affects me! For whatever reason, I connected with her on ‘CCO more than anyone else I have ever listened to. Rest in peace, beautiful lady, and know that you had an amazing impact on the world.

6. St Paul says:

what a wonderful human being! She will be remembered!! My condolences to the family. I wish I could say “rest in peace” but I’m sure she will be busy up there as well!!

7. Joe says:

Condolences to the family. The Mondale family is one of our greatest assets in Minnesota and the loss will be felt.

1. Playjojo says:

Question quietly, not here.

1. borntobepolitical says:

Really, there is a time and place for everything

Rest in peace Elenore and my prayers and best wishes to her family in this time of profound grief for what appears to have been a great lady.

8. RetroDude says:

Eleanor, I always enjoyed listening to you and Suzy on ‘CCO. Leaving us at 51 is far too young. We will miss you.

9. Heidi says:

to her heartbroken family and husband: we’ll never forget your amazing daughter. rest in peace, Eleanor.

10. borntobepolitical says:

God bless, rest in peace.

11. Carlotta says:

My condolences to the Mondale family and to Eleanor’s friends and fans. Eleanor fought her battle with dignity and grace; not an easy thing when you are a public figure.

12. Julie says:

I will always remember Eleanor as Eleanor and Susie. I enjoyed the two together so much on my way to work as the WCCO team. They were so engaging and drew their audience right into the conversation. So truly sorry!!!

13. Tom says:

I am a Republican, but as John Kennedy said, one thing we share is that we are all mortal. So it is always sad when someone too young dies. Mr. Mondale, I doubt you will read this, but if you do please know that my deepest sympathies are with you at this time. I am terribly sorry for your loss.

14. George Powell says:

I liked her even though I’m a conservative. She was on Howard Stern’s show a lot and she had a great sense of humor. I’m sure Howard will have something nice to say on Monday, unless he’s on vacation for the 150th day this year.

15. Ray says:

Really??? Get a life and go do some good in this world.
    You are loved Eleanor. Rest now.

16. Ice Pony Girl says:

Dear Elenore,
    I so enjoyed your company, your laughter, love for life, and of course, your mini horses.

Reiki and love sent to Chan, and your family.

Rock On Girl!! May you be greeted in heaven by a herd of beautiful horses, ponies and minis.

Love……….

17. hushupp says:

My prayers are with the Mondale family. So hard for parnnts to lose a child. Bless you, Eleanor and may you rest in God’s hands.

18. Paul says:

As one who is a year and a half into a similar war, I will remember, learn, pray, love…and fight.

19. Jean says:

My condolences go to the Mondale and Poling families. Look at the wonderful life that Eleanor lived!

20. SandyLester says:

Very sad for the family as well as the Kennedy family who daughter also died today at 51. No parent should have to out live their child.

21. MrBuddwing says:

I can remember when her father, Walter Mondale, was named Jimmy Carter’s running mate in 1976, the TV showed the Mondale children – a bunch of kids back then – out on the front lawn of the Mondale house. And there was Eleanor, a teenager, casually dressed like other girls her age. So young. And now, 35 years later, gone too soon.

RIP.

22. SOS says:

Such a brilliant, brilliant light – it was hard watching her go through cancer, time and time again, every time being less certain that she’d beat it. Death gets us all in the end – we’ll remember you. We’ll remember.

23. Cherish the memories says:

No matter the age there is nothing more painful than to lose a daughter. I will always cherish the CCO moments of listening to Eleanor and Suzie. The chemistry between these two cannot be replaced. My condolences go out to the Mondale family for your loss. Remember the beautiful memories Eleanor brought into your lives. Honor Eleanor’s memory by carrying on the things she believed in. She will be missed.

24. Michael Smith says:

I did not vote for Mondale, but I respected him and his family. I remember being so impressed by Eleanor when I first saw her–how beautiful and poised she was! I have not really thought of her in years. I don’t watch TV anymore so I did not know about her television career. But she was truly lovely–the kind of young woman any man would be proud to have for a daughter. My heart goes out to the Mondales. May you find peace.

25. Richard says:

My deepest condolances to the Mondale family for the loss of beloved daughter Eleanor. May your spiritual faith and trust comfort and sustain you, and my sincere prayers go out to you who have served America and Americans so well and for so long—you are in our memories.

26. Donald in CA says:

The haters never rest, even when some one dies.THey have no shame. Rest in peace Eleanor.

27. Aacon Strong says:

The hardships in this world for Eleanor are over and she is in the most wonderful place that has ever been created now. Everyone faces hardships in this cruel world that almost everyone do not realize just how cruel the world is just existing in it,most more than others.Eleanor faced a hard day every day in her last years here with extreme courage.I wish peace and my sincere condolences to the Mondale family & all of Eleanor`s loved ones.Actually sorrow is for the living , not the ones who have passed to eternal life into the place the creator of all things has provided for us.She is feeling such joy now !

28. JLo says:

Condolences to the Mondale family. Genuinely nice people. God bless Eleanor. Very hard, very unfair.

29. ann says:

What a coincident two democrat poltician’s daughters, both 51 years old, die on the same day! Mondale and Kennedy.

30. Thomas says:

Very classy. Your parents must be proud of you.

31. Shawn says:

Rest in Peace Eleanor. You will be missed.

32. From One MN girl to another says:

Rest in peace Eleanor, you and your family make us Minnesotans proud even when we get transplanted to Arizona. LOVE to all her family and friends.

33. Eric Gieseke says:

words aren’t enough

34. Beadles Az says:

Eleanor gave all of us a role model for handling adversity. As a two-year cancer *survivor* who is currently awaiting the results of a biopsy, I hope that I can have half the attitude of Eleanor should the news be bad.

35. Beadles Az says:

Wow – look in the mirror before inferring someone else lacks class.

36. Roop says:

Had a crush on her when she was on E!, so sad to hear, never realized of her illness. God bless her.

37. Mugo says:

My wife died of this horrible disease. My prayers and thoughts go out to her family and friends.

38. Peter Weinstein says:

Heartfelt condolences to the Mondale Family. Walter Mondale has been a class act.

39. Anson Mitchell says:

I am a Republican, and a partisan one at that, but let me take this moment to wish the Mondale family my condolences on the death of their daughter. May she rest in peace.

40. nerdherder says:

Exactly what we will say when you go, hopefully soon.

41. S.Jones says:

To the Poling and Mondale family even though I have only known you all for a short time, I pray that you all find peace and strength through
    this time of sorrow. May your thoughts be continulosly blessed with the good times shared. Though the voice is gone, the spirit still echoes.

42. Fred says:

A funny remembrance maybe. I think it was during Eleanore’s time at WLOL. My younger son and I were listening to her coverage of the international event of the time. Eleanor called in a local expert to explain the significance of what was unfolding, and introduced former VP Walter Mondale. My son commented that it was funny the VP and Eleanor had the same last name. When I explained the VP is Eleanor’s father, he couldn’t believe it. “Eleanor Mondale’s dad was Vice President?” He could not imagine there being two famous people in the same family!

Be at peace, Eleanor.

43. G. David Ballentine says:

A beautiful lady, such a shame ! No one should have to bury a child.
    The world has lost a vibrant beautiful soul.

44. Brianna says:

My condolences to her family and friends….so, so sad and terribly tragic….because of her love of horses I am including a link about saving and adopting former race horses:

45. bob says:

Very nice lady , god bless you

46. rrltd says:

I enjoyed Eleanor on WCCO. I found her down to earth and a fine lady. Rest in peace.

47. Kay says:

My heart goes out to the Mondale family at this time. A month after running his first marathon at age 50, my husband was diagnosed with Glioblastoma. He died 2 yrs. later. We are left on this earth for a purpose, and we need to keep ourselves busy helping those less fortunate that we are. It gives us meaning to life.

48. jaguar pc says:

Fantastic beat ! I would like to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a weblog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I were a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided vibrant clear idea

49. cancer says:

I am extremely impressed together with your writing abilities and also with the structure in your weblog. Is this a paid subject matter or did you modify it your self? Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing, it’s rare to look a great blog like this one today..