Faithful Fans Bring Costumes, Grills For Dome Tailgating

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Vikings fans were optimistic going into Sunday’s game. While the future of the team is up for debate — fans said they’re not too concerned about where the team will play next year, yet.

As the Skol Line drummed its way through the many tailgates outside the Metrodome, you can hear the purple pride before you can see it.

Vikings fans fired up their grills in the mid-morning rain, hoping their team could cook up a victory that afternoon.

“This is 70 percent of why we come. The game is a bonus — win or lose,” said Mike Ables.

Ables celebrated his 29th season of coming to Vikings games with a big tailgate with friends.

“I get excited. I was telling the guys, when I get in [the Metrodome], the hair on the back of my neck still stands up,” said Ables.

At this first tailgate of the year, the fans aren’t concerned it’ll be the last season of pre-party bliss.

“I think hopefully something will get done, whether or not it does, we’re all hoping for that. But time will tell,” Ables said.

Two hours before kickoff, the sea of purple is spotted with real-life warriors.

“My persona is Faryja, I’m the queen of the Valkyries,” explained one costumed woman.

Faryja and her husband “Oden” dress up in Viking gear to share their enthusiasm and spirit with other fans.

“It doesn’t matter if it’s the rain, snow, 20-below, we are out here,” she said. “There are people who spend all of their time and money to come to one Vikings game — those are the people I love!”

While the costumes may come off after the game, win or lose, the spirit of the Viking has lived.

And as far as the purple faithful see it, the spirit will live for generations to come, whether the team is in Minneapolis, Arden Hills or Los Angeles.

Comments

1. LET'S KEEP THESE LOOSERS!!! says:

DON’T WORRY PEOPLE!!! WITH THESE OVER PAID BUMS PLAYING LIKE THIS NO ONE ELSE WILL WANT THEM!!! 0-2 HA HA HA !!! LA WANT’S WINNERS NOT THESE LOOSERS!! THEY WILL BE LUCKY IF THE METRO DOME RENEWS THERE LEASE!!! HAVE FUN JA.

2. Bunch of freaks says:

Hope next year your dressing up in LA

3. Brerwster says:

50 years of dumping on your fans!

4. Let's spend our way to prosperity! says:

51 years of no super bowl victory yet they want us to build them a new stadium so a handful of the population can put on their costumes and get drunk a few times a year.

That makes about as much economic sense as the state of Minnesota basking in a $5 billion debt.

5. sort of says:

Another week or two like the past two and the news stations are going to have to start buying up tickets.

6. Jeff Andrews says:

Hi, I am trying to get in touch with your marketing manager or trade show coordinator. We have some really great modular and fabric displays that are super cool.

Can you please let me know when you typically plan your Trade Show Displays? I can then send over some great options.

Thanks!