Group Warns Of Dangers Of Cheese In Wisconsin

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) — A nonprofit group with a history of provocative takes on food is preparing a billboard in the heart of dairy country about the dangers of eating cheese.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is sponsoring a billboard showing the Grim Reaper wearing a cheesehead hat with the message “Warning: Cheese Can Sack Your Health. Fat. Cholesterol. Sodium.”

WBAY-TV reports the billboard is scheduled to go up Monday in De Pere on the way to Lambeau Field.

The Washington-based group, which supports a vegetarian diet, says it’s a way to educate people about the harmful effects of eating cheese.

It also asked Green Bay Mayor Jim Schmitt to put a warning label on high-fat, cheesy food at Lambeau Field. Schmitt tells the station he finds it all “kind of silly.”

1. cheese is just fine says:

Once again some food Nazi organization has decided to wage war on common sense. Cheese has formed a valuable component of the human diet for thousands of years. Rather than promote a balanced diet, groups like this single out single food items or groups. I’m sure if one ate nothing but cheese it would not be a good thing. But who does? The real agenda of this group is self promotion by means of a sensational attack on a perfectly healthy part of a balanced diet.

1. Mike says:

And you deliberately have taken the message, altered it to your bias and provided us with a generalized blanket statement not unlike what you have alleged they did!
      For your information, the article clearly states that cheese can be bad for your health and did not make a broad based allegation that it will be bad for you. Too much fat, cholesterol.or sodium is not good for you and having a group like Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine bring this story to the attention of the public is responsible health policy not an agenda of misconception or what you tried, but failed to do.

1. bulldog drumond says:

@Mike, drama begets drama, polemic campaigns beget polemic responses. Why single out cheese? Any food on the planet, eaten in excess, is unhealthy. Take sweet potatoes. They are extremely nutritious but extremely high in vitamin A. A cup of sweet potatoes has about 700% of the vitamin A needed on a daily basis. Eat too many and you could end up with a bald head and liver damage. This campaign reminds me of that Spurlock $hite.

2. jan says:

I’ve eaten cheese all my life, I also cut cheese but I’m in my 80’s, healthy, live in my own house, walk several miles a day so cheese isn’t bad. Some of these organizations are just plain crazy.

3. FormApac says:

if you can’t get a job, create a non-profit organization to pay your salary (first), then find a “cause” to trumpet. Kids and babies and moms are great causes, so all you need to do is find a hook to use on the media. Myself, I would find some statistics that associate $9 pillows from that may cause suffocation. Or the failure rate of a brand of tires that are commonly found on mini-vans and small SUVs. Whoa Maybe I don’t need a day job.

4. Bryan says:

the group that started this is probably lactose intolerant

5. mel says:

So explain to me how an entire country can eat cheese and not get fat; France? It’s because it’s not the cheese, it’s the combination of foods. Blame the food, not the consumer, right? I mean, we are in no way accountable to the food we choose to buy in the grocery store. We are just a bunch of idiots walking the aisles picking out food based on advertisement. Give me a brake. This won’t go over well in Wisconsin; California maybe, but not Wisconsin.

1. Mark says:

It’s also not the cheese, it’s what the cheese is. Much of what America eats is cheese food product, not actual cheese as it’s been defined for hundreds of years. Kraft singles are in no way comparable to aged cheddar in terms of health or nutrition. It’s like the difference between fresh squeeze orange juice and capri-sun. The fresh cheese you can buy readily in WI is way healthier than the average options in your grocery store. Pre-shredded cheese contains antibiotics even.

6. Bobby says:

I wonder if the company that owns the billboard, or the city itself can stop this thing from going up? If it is my billboard, I say take a hike, we can find someone else to advertise on it. This is just ridiculous. Leave me alone, let me eat my cheese without having to hear someone tell me how bad it is for me.

7. Feonia says:

sounds like they have real cheese heads where as in WI they just wears cheese head hats!

Maybe it’s everyone in Washington that has real cheese heads that would explain a lot.

8. Lori says:

Wisonsin is just imploding. Government falling apart. Unions falling apart. Now someone is attacking their “bread and butter”…the dairy industry. I wonder whats next? Oh I know…the beer industry🙂 What a fireworks show Wisc has become!

1. tan pup says:

It’s a billboard; not a public hanging – good grief. OK, yes WI is a bit looney, but that’s wha make it so much fun! Beer, brats and cheese . . . life is good! Oh, great now I’m hungry for cheese curds and can’t find any good ones in MN. OBTW, the tea party of 1919 did a fine job of destroying WI beer industry with the 18th amendment – prohiabition – and now you can witness what the tea baggers are doing to WI government. Just HAD to put that one out there.