Viking Vs. GOP Lawmaker On Twitter

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — The Minnesota Vikings lost their fourth straight game Sunday, and then in the frustration of the aftermath, one of their big money receivers got into another kind of battle — online.

Wide receiver Bernard Berrian only caught one pass in Sunday’s loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, but it was a memorable one: A 4th down catch that kept the Vikings alive for a while.

Then, after the game, he got into a memorable exchange with a fan on Twitter, but he apparently didn’t know that fan was an influential lawmaker, a new stadium backer and a decorated combat veteran.

After Berrian complained he’s not getting passes thrown to him, Rep. John Kriesel jumped in.

“First, I want to let people know that I started it,” said Kriesel on WCCO-AM. “I took a shot and, you know, made a joke about the fact that he says he’s always open and should get the ball more. And he quickly responded, and I was surprised that he responded.”

WCCO’s Chad Hartman Interviews Kriesel

“Anytime u wanna watch the film with me,” tweeted Berrian. “Not just one game but all of them … and if not sit down n shut up!!”

Berrian apparently didn’t know Kriesel is a wounded Iraq War veteran who lost both his legs in a an IED explosion that killed several of his friends.

Kriesel responded: “Don’t be pissed at me dude. Make a play.”

Berrian said he’s no stranger to angry fans, but Kriesel’s bothered him more than most.

“This one got to me,” tweeted Berrian. “I didn’t like what was said so I shot back.”

On Monday, Berrian called Kriesel and left a message, but they haven’t yet spoken.

Kriesel said the whole episode is blown way out of proportion and whatever was tweeted, it doesn’t change his views on a Vikings stadium.

“My opinion remains the same. I believe the Vikings need a new stadium. I believe they are a cultural asset to the state of Minnesota,” said Kriesel.

Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier said players are instructed on the proper use of social media, and he’s confident Berrian won’t make the same mistake again.

More from Pat Kessler

1. curly_racks says:

funny..; sit down and shut up, I guess he is already sitting

2. G Dog says:

Can’t believe a Republican is criticizing a millionaire. Isn’t Bernard one of the GOP’s protected “job creators”?

1. Bobby says:

Really G Dog? You need to turn this into a poitical discussion?

Berrian is a jackwagon. Maybe he is open, but McNabb doesn’t trust him to catch a ball.

1. Horace Mann says:

Just having a little fun it appears. You gotta admit G Dog’s got a point.

2. C.Lambeau says:

Berrian can’t even spell GOP

3. This guy says:

Kriesel is one of 2 republican lawmakers I respect. He’s not a robot like the others. I predict he will eventually have to switch sides. Definitely spot on about Berrian, though!

4. Hard on Idiots says:

just 2 guys elbowing each other, no big deal, but even if Mcnabb threw to #87, it’s not like he would catch it anyways

5. Murph says:

Yeah ,but when he is open his arms get short and his ears are always hearing footsteps.He’s been a jinx for this team for three years or more know.Dump him for an eighth grade girl with shoes fancier than his.She’d catch more footballs than him and whine in a lower voice and not get injured play in and play out.Berrian’s act is tremendously old right now.Although, even with his spindly legs he might outblock the entire Viking offensive line! Mc Nabb too, I’d put in Webb and let Mc Nabb retire like he should and quit embarrassing himself!

6. Greg says:

I love how they include the whole “Iraqi vet/amputee” into Kriesel’s persona. It has absolutely no relevance to the situation. Who cares, he doesn’t need to use that for any reason.

1. Troy says:

It may not be relevant, but someone (not Kriesel) brought it up. Kriesel served his country honorably so that Berrian can be an idiot on the field and talk garage to the true heroes of this country on Twitter.

Berrian would be too scared to do the right thing by serving his country in the military rather than talk smack, live the high life and play a game for a living. He’s a disaster and should be cut by the Vikings.

7. Guy says:

Hey Ziggy – sit down n shut up – about that new stadium thing.

8. Chad says:

I think we all have to take a look at the real message here……..THE VIKINGS STILL SUCK!!!! Go Packers!!!!!

9. The Crux of the Buscuit. says:

“but he apparently didn’t know that fan was an influential lawmaker, a new stadium backer and a decorated combat veteran….. Kriesel is a wounded Iraq War veteran who lost both his legs in a an IED explosion that killed several of his friends.”

Big deal. That and $2.00 get’s ya a cup of coffee. (I figure that’s the same attitude the Republicans take towards Vets when it come to benefits.)

Bernard Berrian is entitled to his opinion. I have seen many passing plays where he is indeed wide open.

10. This guy says:

I bet Troy Williamson was wide open even more than Berrian, but that doesn’t make him Randy Moss.

11. L.Frazier says:

who is this barrian chick anyhow?