Talking Points: Glittering Over Gay Marriage Amendment

When voters go to the polls in Minnesota next year, they’ll be voting on a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. But the amendment has created a split within the Republican Party and is leading to some embarrassing glitter attacks on prominent republicans like Congressman Erik Paulsen.

Watch the video above for Esme Murphy’s Talking Points and watch WCCO Sunday Morning at 10 a.m.

More from Esme Murphy
Comments

1. Mark says:

Arrest the glitterman.

2. victim, right says:

It would never fly if it was the other way around. This is now the norm, it’s going to be decided on the ballot. Stock up on the glitter because you’re not going to like what the people vote for.

3. Joke News says:

“But the amendment has created a split within the Republican Party”

Dream-on, ‘CCO.

1. Jim Rockford says:

I would say the right is split,you have the extreme right or the extremely extreme right!!!

4. Sue J says:

We (Republicans) have never been stronger or larger! To say there is a split within us? Hows that fantasy working for you WCCO?

1. Deb says:

Larger and stronger? Who told you that faux news?

5. Boberto says:

Why is it anybody’s business who marries who? I just don’t care.

1. Phid says:

As a taxpayer and a member of society, I would be forced to recognize such marriages and give them indirect economic benefits even though they do not provide the same value and worth to society as traditional marriages. While you may not care, plenty of us *do* care.

1. DEB says:

WHAT VALUE WHAT WORTH, AMERICA HAS THE HIGHEST RATE OF DIVORCE AND DOMESTIC ABUSE IN TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE, ARE WE IN ANY POSITION TO TELL SOMEONE WHO THEY CAN OR CAN’T MARRY

2. Superchik1017 says:

I don’t think you recognize that these couples are productive members of society who also pay taxes that give hetero couples indirect economic benefits and are forced to recognize hetero marriages. Plus, who are you to say which marriage provides value to society and which does not?

3. Jesus Saves says:

Hey Phid…so you’re into judging the “value and worth” of other human beings. You and Kevin must attend the same church.

6. Kevin says:

No split here…I vote “NO” as does eveyone I know….see you glitter throwers at the polls..

1. Deb says:

Why? You don’t want gays to be as miserable as the hetero marriages? There is no reason to ban gay marriages! None. I will vote for the right for gays to marry. it is none of my business to interfere in other peoples personal lives unless it is illegal. It has absolutely no impact on anyone but themselves. Get over it.. I find it very strange people who campaign for less government want to regulate very personal and intimate areas of a humans life.

2. Superchik1017 says:

Wait…do you mean “no” on the ban or “no” to same-$ex marriage?

3. Jesus Saves says:

Hey Kevin…I see you’re taking a break from making racist comments on the ‘CCO website. So all the people you know will be voting “no.” There’s a shock!

7. Phid says:

Having glitter thrown at someone because you don’t like a particular political or ideological stance is simply a form of censorship or bullying when you get down to it. It says “we do not or cannot you on the merits of your position, so we will mock you by doing something that has nothing to do with anything.”

I am not sure why WCCO continues to give air time to these “glitter attacks”, but it certainly does fit in with the pro-hmsxual agenda that seems to come out of its news reporting.

8. Blah Blah says:

Well, the Golden Rule certianly is not about gay marriage, you should at least get that right. While I agree that the gay community (at least the “vocal” members) does’t seem to heed the same tolerance that they claim they aren’t getting, I don’t think that the government has any right to be involved in marriage, and therfore, this amendment is BS.

9. Mel says:

Why is this not viewed as an assault? It would be viewed as a hate crime if a group of Christians threw glitter on speakers at LGBT events, all the while shouting offensive remarks.

10. Angus says:

The Republicans want to go back to 1911, low taxes, minorities knew their place, gays were in the closet, women couldn’t vote, and the white male ruled.
    Sounds great if you were a rich white male.

1. Chip on his shoulder says:

@Angus. The Biggest Loser.

11. goawaylittlegirl says:

The math doesn’t work. 80% take and 20% give (20% only if you like interior decortors)

12. Jim Rockford says:

Why does the RIGHT fear gay marriage so much?

13. Deb says:

The anti- gay religious right seems to hate everything and everyone who doesn’t walk lockstep with them. I could start my own religion and make it my goal to eradicate all christians because they don’t walk lockstep with me, but that would be just childish wouldn’t it? Why can’t we just eradicate hate from the human species? Life would be so much better and easier.

1. JMJ says:

Actually, I am an active Catholic. Who was planning to Vote for the right of Gay Marriage. But with this type of nonsense going on. It really is making me reconsider.

14. leroy says:

Anyone should be able to make a union of two parties. But only a Man and a Women can get married, lets be real. A marriage is to raise a family, the Union is to get benefits and rights.

Keep them seperate.

sheesh, even if a person and a goat want to form a union, let them.

15. Jim Norocks says:

These clowns are just over grown bullies who aren’t getting their way. It won’t happen here.