Minn. State Trooper Arrested For DWI

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A Minnesota state trooper is facing charges of drinking and driving.

Trooper Brian Bammert, 30, was arrested Saturday night in Shorewood, Minn.

According to the South Lake Minnetonka Police Department (SLMPD), a officer responded to a hit-and-run property damage call at around 11:38 p.m. in St. Bonifacious, Minn. The car reportedly last seen at the hit-and-run site took off going east on Highway 7. The SLMPD officer spotted the suspected car as it drove into Shorewood and pulled it over near the intersection of Highway 7 and Eureka Road, police said.

The officer identified the driver of the suspected car as Bammert. The officer also found what appeared to be recent damage on Bammert’s car, police said.

Bammert showed signs of drinking, and after performing sobriety tests, he was arrested, police said.

Bammert consented to a urine test at the SLMPD headquarters. The results of that test are pending, police said.

Bammert faces one count of third-degree driving while impaired and one count of operating a motor vehicle with an alcohol concentration at or above 0.08.
According to the Hennepin County Jail website, he had a blood alcohol level more than the legal limit for driving.

The website also shows that he posted bond and will head to court in November.
Now, Bammert is on desk duty until the completion of the internal investigation.

Bammert was also in the news in April of this year after he was hit twice by drivers along the highway. He was not seriously hurt in either case.

1. Mike Hawk says:

It just goes to show, it can happen to nearly any one.

1. 'bout time says:

Yep, anyone that is irresponsible as heck. I for one, take cabs when i booze. I’m just glad they didn’t give him a pass because he is ‘one of them’. Good to see there are good cops out there; those being the one(s) that held him accountable. I do agree it’s a stressful job, but he knows better.

1. Jake says:

I applaud your use of the word “nincompoop.” Totally underutilized by our society.

2. CLR says:

The dictionary defines booze as ‘to drink heavilly’ so it is also a verb

1. Jim says:

“correcting” is a typical conservative, passing off misinformation as fact.

3. correcting says:

Hey, I am just out to make sure the liberals realize how uneducated they are.🙂

1. Joe says:

How funny. It’s usually the conservatives who can’t spell worth a darn.

4. DEB says:

Oh please, did you not know what he meant, how petty

2. Mark Spanky says:

So what is he the only one that made a bad choice that night. Wonder who gave out the info I don’t see the hundred other drunk drivers on TV arrested that night. What a joke just because he is a cop. I am sure all here have him guilty without his day in court. The media just loves this stuff stir the pot.

3. you says:

whatever happened to this guy?

2. Bullwinkle says:

Yup, it can happen to anyone. It’s going to difficult for him to do his job if he has to blow into a mandatory alcohol interlock system every time he needs to go on a call.

I hope he gets the help he needs with his alcohol problem

1. RAMed says:

Exactly right. He should have to blow into the ignition lock each and every time he drives a car – Any car, just as a normal citizen who got snapped up in this money maker. He won’t have to because he will be given special treatment as are his other brothers in blue

1. Twins FAN says:

so as long as we are humored, how about the squad having the whiskey plates? Bummer for the officer driving after the shift of this guy…..

2. jackactionhero says:

What “special treatment” do you anticipate him receiving? Please be specific.

3. Jeffrey V says:

I know that guy. He always tried to come accross as better than everyone else at work. What an embarrasment to the State Patrol.

1. Adam says:

If you really did know him you wouldn’t be saying that.

4. Al says:

Stressful job. Alchohol though is never the answer. Hopefully the patrol will work with him.

5. Jim Beam says:

Big hypocrite..Law breaker..Drunk driver..I hope the Stae Patrol fires him.

6. Justice says:

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!

7. V_for_Vendetta1 says:

What a hypocrite. Do as I say, not as I do. This does not surprise me: I was a young cop in Saint Paul and was asked to drink while in uniform and on the clock. Luckily I didn’t and I no longer work there anymore. This is why no one trusts the Police. If this would have happened in Orono they would have driven him home. I give the cop in Shorewood credit for doing the right thing. I remember one night trying to help a Trooper on 94 who had uncooperative people and I was told my by FTO not to help the State Patrol because one of their Troopers had arrested a Saint Paul cop. I hope this guy is fired, but with how Law Enforcement usually works he will be promoted.

1. Agree With V says:

Agree. I worked for a sheriff’s office in the 1980’s. Cops (and associated personnel) could do almost anything. I was in early 20’s at the time and we sat in many bars until 5 or 6 in the morning. You made sure your badge was noticed if pulled over, etc.

Police rule themselves. For the majority of cops the rules that apply to others do not apply to them.

After working for law enforcement, I would not call the police unless someone is in the house threatening me. If I am robbed, call insurance agent and then police to try to get someone to take the report. It was amazing how cops talked about the calls they took and what they thought of the general public.

1. TL says:

You need to get out of the ’80s and into the 21st century – I can tell you by and large, that is no longer the case. Quite the opposite in fact.

And yes, cops do still talk about the calls and what they think of the general public – thats true in any government agency that deals heavily with the public. Simple solution — dont do stupid things that require the police to be called to clean up the aftermath. If you worked in a Sheriff’s office once upon a time – you would know this already.

1. TL is an idiot who can't stop writing trash that he alone believes says:

Uh huh. Let’s have a look at the resent story where 400+ officers illegally used the DVS system to look at some babe, or whatever it was…

Shaddup already ya DA.

2. Thomas Keim says:

i guess all the police are like air plane attentents they all fly free

8. Justice says:

Maybe that’s why they jut their chests out and tilt their hats down, so you can’t see their sloshed eyed!

9. whygod says:

Nice to see the trooper who drank and drive was released early at 5 AM this morning….I wonder who else they released at 5 AM …..? WAIT NOBODY!!

Still seeking special privileges Officer BammberT?

What do you expect? You chose to be the solider for a government bureaucracy

1. TL says:

he posted bond, moron…as is the norm for any dui contestant.

1. anti bachmann says:

your the moron you cant post bond until your sober idiot
        just goes to show ya how much are stupid cops get away with

1. jackactionhero says:

False. As soon as the bond is posted, hammered or otherwise, he is released. His car is still impounded, so it’s not like he can drive himself away after writing a personal check for the signature bond.

A little critical thinking might go a long way for you.

1. Not so fast smarty says:

You have to see a Judge for a hearing that sets bail amount and conditions before a release order is issued. How did he get to see a judge between 11:38pm and 5:00am?

2. @whygod says:

yo whygod ….. maybe ya need a God to make your life less pathetic and miserable? I assure you it cannot hurt someone like you . lol

10. deejay says:

There’s only one above the law! there’s only one who is perfect! there is only
    one who can judge! I hope he gets the help he needs alchohol can be an illness one never knows ones stressors!

1. jackactionhero says:

“alchohol can be an illness”

No. Humans suffer frequently from a lack of self control. The alcohol doesn’t jump up and pour itself down anybody’s throat.

11. KegHead says:

Just another drunk.

12. Ellen says:

Just another blemish on law enforcement, and it is sad. Drunk driving is a serious offense, no matter who does it. They are just human beings, but I expect them to
    follow the law even more than a common citizen. Thankfully he didn’t cause a crash
    that killed someone like so often happens.

13. yeppo says:

3rd Degree DWI? So, he either has a prior DWI (unlikely), or he was over .20 (likely). Either way, he is a hypocrite and deserves to be severely punished. He is quite the arrogant ^^^^^ so this really comes as no surprise.

14. fred says:

lol…..what goes around, comes around……don`t drop the soap, troop

1. drifter says:

Watch a little too much of the movies have ya?

15. Taylor J says:

I’m surprised how WCCO is covering up his BAL. If it was anyone else, it would say .10 and not “at or above 0.08”. He deserve to get punish for his crime, regardless if he’s a cop or not.

1. Tony says:

Actually they are saying ‘at or above .08…’ because that is what is on the ticket dip$h!t. That is how you are written up and that is what WCCO has to go off of. Nothing is being covered up because nothing has been released. Before you make a quick judgement, try to find out some facts. As someone who has one DUI (not DWI, that acronym no longer is used by professionals), and as someone who will never allow himself to be in that situation again, I know what I (and WCCO) am talking about. The officer made a mistake. He will pay for it, just like everyone else. By the way, ‘He deserveS to get punishED for his crime…”

1. MN Cop says:

I am a professional. I am a cop. I use DWI…or Driving While Impaired…and so do all of my partners across MN. I have been in the business for almost 10 years now and it has been DWI that whole time. Good job on that one…and if you want to check it out, here is the link to the MN statute on DWI. Thanks. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=169A

1. Tony says:

Well I stand corrected then. I got mine in 2005 and I was told that it is/was DUI. It is my hope that Trooper Brammert is tried fairly and within the limits of the law, by that I mean that I hope he isn’t made an example of and punished more harshly than others. I understand that all law enforcement officials are supposed to set an example but they are human, and humans are allowed to make bad choices like everyone else.

16. Drew says:

In addition to being on the path to losing his Peace Officer’s License, hopefully he’ll have to put Whisky Plates on his cruiser…

17. Erik says:

Does not surprise me at all. Cops are human and subject to the same character defects and poor judgement as everyone else.
    Does surprise me though that the arresting officer actually arrested a fellow officer. Not how it usually works where I have lived.
    Will be very interesting to see how this plays out before it is done. Hard to say what the final outcome will be given what lawyers and courts can do sometimes.
    Getting initially charged for DWI does not mean that ultimately there will be a conviction for DWII. How often do we see plea bargains, reduced charges, some procedure error and cases get thrown out, etc.

1. TL says:

Not as surprising as one might think….attitudes have changed recently over the last few years about cops arresting cops for this type of thing.

And…this was 3rd degree…hard to turn the other cheek on this one anyways even if the arresting officer wanted to.

18. WeKnowThem says:

Not to worry, he can go to Rochester MN and get a job as a fireman. They are know for hiring drunk cops, they even hire ones who have killed people driving drunk and other horriable crimes. If you live in Roch MN do not teach your kids to trust firemen!

19. justsayiin says:

he better not give anyone a DWI ticket again mann- hypocrite

20. sure says:

how come all us drunks can’t go and give everyone else tixs when we all fricked up? sheesh – I mean I can write one out to. and maybe even do some acid and a brew and do two

21. NO STADIUM!!!!!! GO TO L.A. says:

22. 651er says:

Oh my! The media is a bunch of drama driven piles of trash. Everyone makes a mistake and many likely did over the weekend, why are they hanging this guy out to dry? Why because he is a cop. Its not like he was driving the squad to f sakes.

1. gwheelock says:

It doesn’t matter WHAT kind of car he was driving. Do you think the “cherries” on a squad will provide enough cushion to save your a$$ if he were to hit you with the squad instead of his own car?

1. 651er says:

Now please tell me you have never had a snoot full and hopped behind the wheel of a car. Right and if you did should we post your mug shot on the news and cause you extreme embarrasment? What he did was wrong but it is no different than anyone else who got a DWI over the weekend and their photo wasnt plastered all over.

Lets take a look at Hennepin Counties jail records from Friday to Sunday. Did anyone else arrested have their mugshot put on WCCO. NOPE!

1. mrsG says:

I agree.

What he did was wrong and he should be punished, as equally as we all would.

And to assume that the other police officers would look away, is an uneducated, bitter comment based on your own hurt feelings for being caught doing something wrong yourself. A childish example of saying “na,na….”

Seriously people….use your powers for good.

2. gwheelock says:

No; I never have driven after drinking – EVER. It’s very simple – DON’T DRINK. PERIOD. If you want to drink; arrange for a designated driver (usually ME for my friends – who drinks COLA)

23. 651er says:

Another thought… I wonder if anyone writing this story had a couple pulls of the bottle this weekend and got behind the wheel? Did anyone at WCCO, hell no they didnt right? Thats just wrong right?

1. Getit says:

A couple pulls on the bottle? he was charged with 3rd degree which mostly like means over .20

1. Tony says:

There are other factors which contribute to getting a 3rd degree besides having over a .2 BAC. Just so you all know.

1. @Tony says:

Yes like having a prior, highly unlikly, having a child in the car also unlikly, so you get it, Tony we get it u got 1 dwi we’re all impressed…. Please don’t act like an expert.

24. Joe Walsh says:

Geez. Wondering if he might be getting hit because of slow reaction time…

1. 651er says:

Typical criminal response!

25. icky says:

I don’t care if he is a cop. No one belongs behind a wheel if you have been drinking. That is just a fact. So he got caught, good. Get some help….please.

26. Grandma says:

Why do some people say, “Oh, his job is so stressful that no wonder he drinks. Poor guy, I hope he gets the help he needs.” If the story read, unemployed janitor gets DWI, you would all be saying throw the book at him.

1. jackactionhero says:

He wouldn’t really be a janitor if he was unemployed, now would he…

Come on, Grandma. Tune in.

27. See BS says:

People get arrested all the time for Drunk Driving and it doesn’t become a mug shot on the local “Tattle Tale” News.

Law enforcement people have the same problems in life as everyone else.

28. Sandy in White Bear Lake says:

This does NOT go to show it can “happen” to anyone. It did not “happen” —-which implies it occurred without will. This irresponsible man CHOSE to allow this to occur.

I too hope he is fired-this is an outrage. What an irresponsible act and a senseless fool.

1. TL says:

do not let your perfection blind you to those that are imperfect.

1. allcopssuk says:

Like you?

1. TL says:

tisk…really? thats all you got?

what a waste of your time posting that.

29. rj says:

Maybe he was hit because he was stumbling.

30. Jeff from Burnsville says:

Fire is dumb ass!!!!

31. Jack says:

I am an Officer. I believe he should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Just like anyone else. I believe he should have repercussions with his job. Many of you writing on here have had DWI’s before. Was yours on the news? a top story? I’m going to guess NO. That’s an added punishment that others don’t get.

1. oNiSaC says:

I hear ya. But the news media has a lot of influance on how the court will treat this. In the past citizens have been hit very hard by doing the same thing. It cost my son over $2000.00 before the raise of insurance was figured in. Your follow officer should also be punished equaly by the courts. But I seriously doubt that he will be. It just the way it goes now days. Same way when cops are selling drugs they get off with less than half the punishment. Its hard for me to feel sorry for a cop in court. Its much easier to do what they do to civilians under arrest. Cops have never earned my respect. To me they are bullies with a badge.

1. MN Cop says:

First of all I agree that a cop is no differnet in court than anyone else…he should be treated the same and prosecuted the same as your son was. Hard to earn respect from someone who already has a slanted view of law enforcement. I guarantee you that I or any of the cops I work with could “earn” your respect if you gave us a chance. My guess is that you are in the metro area…hard place to be a cop. Constantly dealing with loads on society and filth…or with good people in bad situations. Very easy to become seemingly emotionless on the job. Very easy to become dismissive and cold hearted. Easy to have a short fuse. Not very many could wear the uniform and survive the constant turmoil and barage of insults from citizens such as yourself. Yes we should be able to shrug off most of that, but hey, we are still human. Give cops a chance….

2. Andrew Keller says:

Jack that is the stupidest comment I’ve ever heard, and yes I have had a DWI learned my lesson. Its on the news because this complete moron is out every shift handing out DWI’s like their candy because thats what the state patrol does. I mean there is no bigger definition then pathetic hipocrit then this guy. Guess what I wasn’t on the news when I got my DWI because I’m not out there pulluing people over and giving DWI’s and then getting done with my shift and doing the exact thing I arrested people for the day before!!!! He deserves to lose his job. I hope you are not a cop in my neighborhood because you do not sound like the smartest guy in the world. Question, I have cop friends and why is it that you guys think you can do whatever you want and the law does not apply to you?

32. Jean says:

Happens to the best of us. Hope you don’t lose your job. It will cost lots. Hope you have lots of money saved up for it. Good luck.

33. Cocnhai says:

Minn State Trooper arrested for DWI.. Easy to deal with is to get rid of this Trooper. Next time make sure make a background check before hire bad guy.

1. MN Cop says:

Doubtful a backround check would screen out people with the potential to make a mistake….they are looking for character flaws associated with commiting crimes such as theft, assault, drug use etc. nice comment.

34. 0NiSaC says:

Come-see come saw, It will be interesting to see if the courts will treat this like they do millions of other people who”ve gotten DWI’s. I doubt that they will. But in the perfect world the man should be forced (court ordered) to do exactly what the rest of us are ordered to do.

“Always Remember if you drink don’t drive”.

1. Delight says:

You judgemental people are fools. I guarantee he will be treated more harshly by whatever judge he stands in front of specifically because he is a peace officer. I guarentee the cost he will encur will be much greater than the average person because he is a peace officer. He has embarrassed his profession as well as his co-workers Im sure. All of you who sit back and put your bitter opinions out for us all to read im sure have made mistakes as well and unlike this fella the world will never know. If u want a world without law then move to Somalia and see how that goes for ya

1. BB says:

I work in law enforcement and have never worked with a group of bigger self righteous arrogant hyprocrites than these idiots who work as Minnesota State Troopers. Bammert need to get fired; he’ll resign to save face and to protect the image of the State Patrol. I hope the judge throws the book at him!!!!

1. cc says:

Hmmmm all the troopers I know are pretty decent guys…sounds like you have a bone to pick with them for some reason…tickets maybe?

35. MN Cop says:

A few of you have said it…a cop is no different than anyone else. We put our pants on the same way as all of you here. Sure we have a job that entails arresting people for DWI and many other crimes. But we are still human and make stupid mistakes. I am sure that that Trooper Bammert like many others that were arrested over the weekend did not go out and drink intending on driving drunk. Most people that get arrested would never make the conscious decision to do this while they are sober. What happens is they don’t make a plan before they go out. That is the key…have a sober driver out with you and make them stick to it ( I have arrested several “designated drivers” who “just had a couple”). Or get a ride to the bar in the first place, leave you vehicle at home. Having a plan in place before you drink is the only way. Even a cop will make stupid choices when he is drunk. In this case it appears as though he was over a .20 BAC so he was pretty intoxicated. I agree that Trooper Bammert is not different and deserves to be prosecuted no differently than any other person. Hopefully he will learn from his poor choice and become the tip of the spear in the fight against drunk driving. Either though continued enforcement if he still has a job or through education and other channels if he loses it.

1. Yeah says:

Thanks for being a good cop–MN Cop

36. anti bachmann says:

serve and protect ha ha ha ha ha ha what a loser

37. Jake says:

What I find disturbing is the ‘hit and run’, or leaving the scene of an accident part. Sure, he was messed up, but probably knew the ramifications of his actions and the huge public backlash that was about to happen. Remember the ‘joe senser’ incident?? Yes, I know he was only trying to protect himself, and knew that there would be a huge outcry against law enforcement, but leaving the scene, that looks pretty bad.

38. Andrew Keller says:

Typical cop nothing but a lying hipocrit. This news made my year!!!!

39. Piggy says: