Coon Rapids Woman Stabbed To Death, Boyfriend Arrested

COON RAPIDS, Minn. (WCCO) — Neighbors are coming to grips with the tragedy that played out inside a quiet Coon Rapids apartment complex Thursday night. Taiwo Obazeluwa said she was frightened to go outside.

“For this to happen, I don’t know it’s so scary,” Obazeluwa said.

She and others at the Wedgewood Place Apartments on the 10000 block of Hanson Boulevard are learning the sad details of what happened inside an apartment there. That’s where 44-year-old Susan Courteau lived and where her older sister discovered her dead at around 8:30 p.m. Thursday.

“Not in Coon Rapids, it’s really shocking. I can’t even take it in yet. Coming out of my room I’m thinking, o.k., is this place safe now? It’s so scary,” Obazeluwa said.

Right from the start, Coon Rapids investigators suspected Courteau’s boyfriend, 54-year-old Patrick William Benton.

Benton has an extensive criminal record, including domestic assault.

On Thursday morning, police were called to Courteau’s apartment to remove Benton. According to Courteau, he’d been drinking and had a puppy with him. She apparently didn’t want trouble with the landlord, where dogs aren’t allowed.

Hours after her body was discovered, a SWAT team tracked Benton to a nephew’s home just a few miles away.

Debbie Johnston lives next door and witnessed the arrest.

“He’s related to somebody who lives there and we speculated on our own that he was kind of hiding out. That was it, he didn’t tell the people the truth about why he was there,” Johnston said.

Benton was arrested without incident and was booked into the Anoka County Jail. Late Friday afternoon he was charged with second-degree homicide.

More from Bill Hudson

1. Sarah says:

As a matter of fact all involved were white.

2. linedog says:

Instead of a completely idiotic comment about race, I wonder if the apartment complex is obligated to disclose that a homicide happened in this apartment? How would you like to move in, and find out from the neighbors that a woman was killed there with no disclosure?

1. what a goof says:

Do you have something better to do?

1. HUH!?! says:

asking you the same…….. very valid point

2. MW says:

That is almost exactly what happened, I just helped the new tenant move into this same apartment over the weekend. She was not told about it. She only knew becuase he daughter googled the name that was still on the buzzer to get into the building. Everything we can find says MN does not need to tell the new tenants.

3. linedog says:

I’m also wondering why the murderer isn’t in custody. No booking reports showing him in Anoka, Hennepin, Stearns, Benton, Ramsey, Washington, Carver, Scott or Wright Counties. Did he bail out? Good luck with that, Coon Rapids!

1. what a goof says:

Mr. Clavin (linedog), I share in your mothers concern that you man up and find something better to do with you time.

2. em1022 says:

Wow!!! Wish I had all that time to research all this; just an FYI, it can take 24-48 hours for them to post the new intakes, they wouldn’t have set bail yet either without a first appearance before a judge to determine whether or not bail would even be granted, and if it is it will more than likely be too high for him to get bailed out.

4. der says:

This wasn’t a random crime, you chit for brains fools, domestics happen anyway but jigs commit most crimes.

5. ok says:

C. Rapids is smothered in section 8 now, lost city. No human being is on section 8.

1. em1022 says:

You are completely ignorant; why do you think that no human being is on Section 8?? Have you ever thought that someone has to be on it to provide a place for their children to live, are working and going to school, receives no child support and is just doing their best to make ends meet?? I would think that’s better than having your home in foreclosure because you over extended yourself on a mortgage and were living beyond your means…just saying. If I didn’t have family in the area that would have maybe been my only option, or a domestic violence shelter….you should really think before you start typing,

2. DeeDee says:

no human being is on section 8? are you kidding me? I have section 8.. it took me 5 years to get it while living in st paul… in the meantime.. my credit and rental history is bad because I struggled for 8 years to take care of my family… even though I worked full time, couldn’t get any help from the county but I didn’t make enough to barely eat. Now I’ve cleaned up my credit and history but I wouldn’t have been able to do it without section 8. So either you are blessed and have never had to struggle for anything in your life or you are just a completely ignorant clueless person. and what does this horrible murder have anything to do with class anyway? Domestic violence has no boundaries.

6. Nancy Aleshire says:

For your information domestic violence knows no boundries. It can occur in every economic level, ethnic or racial background. This creep has an extensive criminal history and I’m glad he’s locked up. I’m sorry for the family and friends of Ms. Courteau.