Inside Look At Full-Contact, Competitive Lingerie Football

Gallery: Meet the Valkyrie

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Ready or not Lingerie Football has come to the Twin Cities. The Minnesota Valkyrie are brand new to the Lingerie Football League and quickly making an impact.

While they on Friday night to the L.A. Temptation, a couple of former standout track stars that are making an impact on and off the field for this new team.

It’s being called the fastest growing sports league in the nation — 7-on-7 full-contact football.

It’s being played by women who wear sports bras, shorts and glass-front helmets. The Minnesota Valkyrie are the newest franchise in this 11-team Lingerie Football League.

They are led by former Vikings lineman Everett Lindsey.

“They are true athletes and that’s how I treat them and that’s how I look at them,” Lindsey said.

He said 85 percent of the Valkyrie players are college graduates. All were athletes but his biggest challenge is coaching them up

“It’s teaching them the game of football and just all the intricacies of the game,” he said.

They’ve learned quickly beating Green Bay in their season opener. The head coach said he’s proud of his athletes and the work they do in the community; especially the Govrick twins.

“Tiger and Panther. They’re two little fire plugs. They bring a lot of energy to this team,” Lindsey said.

Their real names are Elizabeth and Teresa Govrick. They’re former Minnesota state track champions from Washburn High School. Back in 2004, they were part of the state champion 4×100 and 4×200 relay teams.

They went on to run track and play soccer at South Carolina State University, where they both graduated. Now they mentor athletes at the high school where it all began where it also gives them a chance to learn more about their passion.

“I watched them practice on this field and gave them a little pointers,” said Washburn High School football player Jason Williams.

They say playing lingerie football fills a void in their lives.

“We were Division I athletes in college so it’s like to come back and yea we can play pick-up soccer, we can run with our kids and stuff, but it’s not that competitiveness that we’re not getting it,” said Elizabeth. “So I think playing in this competitive, tough sport that gives us that edge back and that’s why we do it.”

But what about the uniform, or lack thereof? Elizabeth and Teresa say it’s not an issue.

“We both ran track and I was wearing, you know, stuff if not close to almost smaller than what I’m wearing out on the football field,” said Elizabeth. “You take beach volleyball, you take volleyball, you take other sports where it’s pretty much the same thing. Its just the name Lingerie Football League.”

These athletes say if you take away the lingerie, what you have left is good old American football.

“You never think of women playing football. Even now were like ‘Oh my gosh that is not real football.’ But it is. You have to really watch it,” said Teresa. “Like my sister said take out the lingerie part and we’re hitting and doing everything that guys do in this sport ”

If you think this is powder puff football, think again. During their first game, the star running back tore her ACL. She’s out for the entire season.

These women want you to look beyond the uniforms and see they love this game and play it well. The Minnesota Valkyrie players work full-time jobs and still practice 30 to 35 hours a week. They do not get paid for being on the team.

Their next home game is the home finale at Target Center on Saturday Nov. 19 when they play Chicago.

More from Reg Chapman
Comments

1. Okay by me says:

This may be the ONLY team in MN football that comes to be called PRO… lol
    Imagine having 85% of a team actually be college grads. Hello NBA and NFL.
    I agree with the 2 gals – take away the title lingerie and it’s football. And before folks say it’s exploiting a thing (ladies) – you were way less at the beach, pay el premo for that thong that shows daily in pubilc and you all know what I mean.
    Good luck ladies and hope the day comes where the money does too.

1. Carl says:

Perfect! I was watrching the Vikes last night and when the players come on camera and tell what university they attended, one of them actually said Middle school. Is it possible he didnt attend High School or College? I hope he saves his money now.

1. Dude says:

It’s an NFL joke.

2. jackactionhero says:

I’d love to see a few Shemale Trannys on the team..I’d buy tickets for sure then.

2. S says:

What about the Minnesota Machine?!? They are a great, womens football team representing MN and they wear full pads and gear. Let this not distract from their hard work and dedication.

3. Dump the Vikings, Cheer the Valkyries says:

This is sure better than the Vikings. And a lot cheaper!

4. Zing says:

Lame and meant to objectify women. What kind of tools would watch that? What a terrible example for our daughters.

1. jackactionhero says:

LOL

It does not do that. You choose to believe it does, but it doesn’t.

5. Valkyries over Vikings says:

What kind of “tools” would watch the Vikings? At least the Valkyries watchers aren’t drunken, beer-guzzling tailgaters.

6. jan says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if they built them a stadium with taxpayers’ money. Maybe the spectators could wear only their underwear while watching the games.

1. jackactionhero says:

Pointless Comment of the Day Award, Jan. Way to go!

7. vikingsstink says:

“While they on Friday night to the L.A. Temptation” nice writing.

8. Maxi says:

I hope they’re using super duty stay free with the extra absorbent layer. What a mess on the field if they are hit low!

9. Marci says:

I get to endure men in boxers fighting, swimmers and divers were we see what they have (and don’t have !), surfers and volleyball and …sheesh, what am I missing ?
    And some woman and likely some men get upset about this? To these people may I suggest you get a life elsewhere. Possibly underneath the sand in a desert somewhere to cover both your eyes and ears for your own good.

This is a marketing tool for a sport. I wear less when I am at the beach than these women do when playing. I am acceptable yet these athletes are not?
    Seriously – what is your problem in life? Are you disgustingly over-weight? Embarrassed about something? Grow up and get a life

10. Jo says:

It’s all sad. There’s nothing empowering, it’s simply Las Vegas style, eye candy entertainment for men. The WNBA Champs, MN Lynx, just won it all, fully clothed and respected by 15,000+ fans. One can only hope the self esteems of these young players will become stronger as they become older and wiser.

1. jo's friend says:

Killjoy, there’s always one.

11. MNVixen76 says:

We have REAL women’s football in MN, and if the ladies want to play it then they can try-out for the Vixen or the Machine. We do NOT require a head-shot and for them to be under 175 lbs no matter what their heights is. We play real 11 on 11 football. The issue I have with the LFL is that my team (the Vixen) have been around for 14 years and now everytime I tell people I play football I now get leared at, or looked at like I have a disease. There are options for women who want to play and compete in this sport. I’m not saying the ladies aren’t athletes, but the whole concept of this has damaged any attempt to legitimize women’s football.