Esme’s Blog: Justice For Somali-Americans

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Late this week, as the verdicts in the terror trial of two Somali-American women were announced, a hundred of their supporters gathered outside the Federal Courthouse. I was one of the first reporters to make it outside after the verdicts. Several women saw me and asked what the verdict was. I could see the fear and tension in their eyes. When I told them that both women had been convicted on all counts, one asked, “Years, how many years?” I told them that Amina Farah Ali was facing up to 185 years in prison and that Hawo Hassan faced 31. The supporters, one by one, began weeping. A separate cluster of men began shouting angrily.

In the next hour I would hear angry denunciations, claims that the women had been convicted for their religious beliefs and that the American justice system was prejudiced against Somali-Americans.

I am not sure if any of these supporters really had heard details of the testimony against the women. The testimony against Amina Farah Ali was especially overwhelming. Hours of FBI wiretaps had captured her clearly plotting to send money to Al-Shabab.

I couldn’t help but wonder if these supporters, many of whom did not speak English well, had ever heard a true account of the evidence against Ali and Hasan. As the tears and anger continued to flow outside the courthouse, inside prosecutors were talking to reporters. Prosecutor John Marti said simply this case was not about religion, it was about the acts of these two women. Justice was in fact served that day. It is regrettable that some in the Somali-American community are convinced it was not.

More from Esme Murphy
Comments

1. Smith says:

It has nothing to do with religious beliefs, It was their actions to send money and people to Al-Shabas. a terror org.

1. DW says:

I bet it is our Tax payer money they send to Somalia, not their money coz most of them they don’t work. Some of their men drive Taxi but again they hardly pay Tax.

2. Kendra T says:

Esme, the fact that you were one of the first outside the courthouse is completely irrelevant to the the story. Don’t break your arm patting yourself on the back. Only the death penalty for these two would serve justice. The funded death…they get death.

3. Reality says:

Justice was Served

4. Jackie Du Charme says:

Send them back to Somalia.

5. Jackie Du Charme says:

And alot of reporters pat themselfs on the back these days.

6. father of two vets says:

Why didn’t the TV coverage reflect these insights? Too busy blaming America?

7. Deep Thinker says:

Is it just me, or do other people find these two to be absolutely drop dead gorgeous?

1. Walter says:

I think you should get your prescription checked

8. Fed Up says:

I absolutely agree with this statement. These people do not want to assimilate into our culture, they want to change it to reflect theirs. When told they have to follow our laws, they use their religion as a crutch claiming discrimination. It’s all BS. I say deport them all. The majority of these people are in MN, very few settle in other parts of this country. Why? They know the democrates here will hand them everything. They are arrogant, rude and smart enough to work the system. Thank God that the jury did the right thing and found those two guilty. I hope they rot in jail.

1. Molly says:

what you said here is exactly right!! You hit the nail on the head!! I so agree, send them all back to whatever arab world they come from. They have no intention of helping to ‘better’ our state/country; only ‘use’ it and I also agree wholeheartedly that the democrates will see to it they have everything handed to them on our dole (oh we don’t want to offend them) i say send’m back!!

1. snowfire says:

Wait a minute: The Congressional Black Caucus has been an influential advocate of Somali immigration, but many foolish whites are also aiding in their own dispossession. Minnesota’s Lutheran Social Services have teamed up with other Christian religious groups to facilitate Somali resettlement. Not to be outdone, the Jewish Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society opened an office in Kenya to maintain the flow of Somali refugees.

Minnesota’s white politicians also get into the act, and not just the Democrats either. Minnesota’s Republican Senator Norm Coleman has enabled Somali colonization throughout his career. In a press release that announced a six figure grant to the Confederation of Somali Community in Minnesota, Coleman went on to state that he: has worked closely with the Somali community while in the Senate, having most recently secured the extension of Temporary Protected Status for certain Somalis living in the United States. Coleman also has a Somali immigrant, Mahamoud Wardere, on his staff to help facilitate and increase his outreach to the Somali community.

Coleman wanted payback for his efforts: during the 2008 elections, he sent staffers and translators to polling places in Somali neighborhoods to encourage voters to cast their ballot for him.

2. You can take this to the bank says:

This is the honest to God truth: I spent a considerable amount of time and effort to try to get some information regarding assistance for an elderly relative who finally needed to be moved to a nursing home. To make my point, I will exaggerate this part – I found that I had to talk to the Dept. of Medicine to get info on medical care, the Dept. of Food to get info on meals, the Dept. of Depends to get info on personal care needs, etc.

After several days of chasing around trying to get all the information I needed, In exasperation and complete frustration I asked a social worker why they didn’t have a Dept. of Everything where I could talk to just one person and get the info I needed.

She told me “off the record” to find a Somali and ask that person because “Those people know about every possible benefit available and they know how to ‘work the system’ to get every one of them.” And that, I swear, is the gospel truth.

1. DW says:

They hate America, they only love our free dollars and YES they know how to get it all. They don’t work, most of them have 7 to 8 children and they are robbing us.

9. TL the alligator says:

….i think its the one that looks like a toad that gets the most prison time….the other one that lies about her age and says she’s 60 some years old will still get at least 15 years ……i hope they both get at least 20 years.

10. Allyn Johnson says:

I wan’t present for the trial so I trust the jury’s unbiased decision. What did disturb me was the signs being displayed by some of the Somali demonstrators referring to Somalia as “my country.” I thought that once you are a U.S. citizen the United States becomes your country?

1. Debby says:

Unfortunately we always seem to be second…African-AMERICAN…Hispanic-AMERICAN…asian-AMERICAM. Why bother to come here if you are not just going to be AMERICAN!! I too am getting so tired of this BS

1. josie says:

I agree! And we are American Americans?

11. who cares says:

Amen to that

12. Kevin says:

Shoot them both treason….

13. gr8bbgg says:

If you don’t ;ike the system leave, America has done nothing but assist you when YOUR country fell apart. If this is the way you people say thank you……

14. galeh says:

It is tiime the Somali’s in America accept US law and assimilate into the culture of this country. That is what immigrants have done, not bend the majority culture to them.

1. DW says:

We should BAN Burkha in public areas. If they have problem they can go back to Somalia or where ever they came from.

15. me says:

Correction – The FBI now has more BURKAs to investigate – no FACES were seen in the mix

16. BearskinBob says:

If the stinking Somalies don’t like it here please ship them back to Somalia. That would be tax money well spent.

17. djp says:

What I think is so idiotic is…these women wear these dang bat outfits, ..YET,,,today in the mall I saw them shopping in a Coach store AND talking on cell phones!! Talk about hyprocrisy!! They want to remain in the past with their so called religious beliefs…yet use modern day technology and good! So very idiotic in what they do

18. GO BACK HOME! says:

Instead of “Occupy Wall Street” and “Occupy MN”, we should start a campaign outside of Brother Ellison’s Mpls office called “Occupy Somalia”. No more visas for men, women or children from East Africa, Iraq, Iran or any Arab Country. Enough is enough. TAKE BACK AMERICA!!

19. LEAVE us ALONE says:

Why aren’t these two HOODS down at Guantanamo Bay with their brothers?

20. FIRE KEITH ELLISON says:

Hey Keith Ellison, where are you now? We need your help with this Somalia problem in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Why are you only vocal when it’s the Muslims that are on the spot? What about the Americans?

21. ORANGE HOODIES says:

What are these 2 lookers going to do in Fed prison? I don’t think the Feds sell “orange hoodies” for Muslims. Maybe they’ll get the ACLU and CAIR to sue the U.S. government to start providing “orange burkas” because otherwise we’re trampling “on their freedom of religion”. I can just see the headlines now.

22. tan pup says:

The only word for these two is “Cowards”. They make me sick – but I guess that was their point. Two last words for them and their supporters – GET OUT! Oh, sorry, one more thing – WE DON’T WANT YOU HERE AND YOU ARE NOT WELCOME! PS, if it were me in your country, I would have been hung, stoned, pulled apart my my ankles, dragged in the streets – and burned. Put them on a boat and send them back to their beloved terrorists – I will donate the first dollar!

1. Guilt by ethnic association says:

Somalian men and women are evil and corrupt. Your wife is Somalian. So your wife is evil and corrupt? Hard to imagine you’re not providing material and emotional support to this evil-doer. Why shouldn’t we drive you out of this community too?

“But my wife is one of the good ones, ” you’ll say. Bah. Didn’t they say that about some of the Jews, too? Besides, no doubt the “bad Somalians” you’d finger will have supporters who will want to claim that they are one of the “good ones” too. Why should your testimony count more than the testimony of these others? Why should we allow that any Somalian deserves to be considered as an individual rather than as a member of a “corrupt and evil” people?

If the posters on this site so keen on eliminating the Somalian presence in this community rallied behind and promoted to power someone who was in favor of setting up Somalian internment camps, would you raise a finger in protest? Why would you? If you truly believe that all Somalians are corrupt and evil, why would you stand in the way?

Listen, you can be against the cultural balkanization of this country without trafficking in the sort of dehumanizing filth that fuels genocidal policies in less enlightened places of the world. No doubt the Somalian women the subject of this story deserve to be locked up for a long time. But this “guilt by ethnic association” charge that so many are so eager to level upon all Somalians in this community is as stupid as it is dangerous.

23. Morgan says:

You made your points very well!

24. hatesomalis says:

first i dont want them in jail. ONLY BECAUSE MY TAXES WILL PAY FOR IT!!! if my taxes are going to pay for something then put them on a boat and sail them off and use them as targets for the navy… do this right in front of somali waters so their pirate brothers will see how we take care of business…

25. Lori Scott says:

Agreed 100% ~

26. tbone says:

These 2 are just a drop in the bucket. There are many more supporters and funders of al-shabab and you can bet that they are planning big things for America. The average American citizen should have a shotgun in their home, so that when the muslims strike at us we can all strike back. We should not sit back and wait for the slaughter.

27. Tony Rozycki says:

Concur with all previous comments on this topic! Time to wake up to reality.

28. StraycatStrut says:

Esme… very surprised you “did” this story….as the demonstrators are acting like Democrats…. ranting, raving with lesser known facts. I think you “get it” now.

29. Tarzan - hahahahahaha! says:

Cheeta lives, in prison! 🙂

30. Nancy Aleshire says:

I agree 100% with the comments regarding Somalians failure to assimilate and wanting preferential treatment. I dispatchfor a towing company and I run into this all the time–Somalis questioning our rates and wanting things much cheaper. Somalian women do not realize how good they have it in this country. For one thing, they have the right to drive a car and be out on the streets unaccompanied by male relatives. They also have the right to have a job once they have their green cards. But it seems that is not enough for them–they want more, and if that is the case let them move back to Somalia.

1. Bet there's space on the boat for you, too. says:

And I agree 100% with Somalians who question your tow rates and want things much cheaper. Your industry charges a kings ransom for the “community service” you provide. If as a community we’re going to be in the business of driving out the so-called parasitical elements, don’t be surprised if you find yourself on an outbound boat one of these days.

31. Julie says:

Agree
    U S needs to be 1st in all citizens mines. If not, they are free to leave.

32. Kevin says:

You are all so wrong…Somalians are people of peace! They love America! They work hard! They obey our laws! They assimulate well! Allah is great, Allah is good, Allah will soon be in your neighborhood….

33. Scott Alan says:

The clock is ticking.

34. marie says:

I wish the world could be rid of ALL religions. So often religion just seems promote hate. I dream of an atheist world.

35. Avinash Machado says:

The religion of peace strikes again.