Patrol: Man Beats Trooper With Taser During DWI Arrest

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A state trooper is expected to make a full recovery after a man she attempted to arrest for alleged drunk driving beat her with her Taser early Saturday morning, the Minnesota State Patrol said.

Minnesota State Trooper Darcy Gagnon stopped 26-year-old Elijah Knowles, of Akeley, Minn., on Highway 34 just east of Dorset corner at approximately 1:30 a.m. After performing field sobriety tests, Gagnon attempted to handcuff Knowles, but he resisted arrest. He then grabbed the trooper’s Taser and beat her on the head with it several times.

A criminal complaint showed that Knowles tried to pull the Taser’s trigger while it was on Gagnon’s head, but the safety stopped it from firing. Knowles also tried to take Gagnon’s gun, but he failed to obtain it. Gagnon required staples in her head in order to close the wound.

According to the state patrol, Gagnon’s training saved her life.

When he saw police arriving to the scene, Knowles fled south on County Road 33, reaching speeds in excess of 100 mph. After attempting to ram two squad cars, Knowles crashed near the intersection Highway 64 and 200th Street, the state patrol said. Deputies had to use mace on Knowles and while he was being put into a patrol car, he kicked on of the deputies in the chest.

Knowles faces nine counts of assault (six felonies and three gross misdemeanors), including first-degree assault. He is currently being held in Hubbard County.

According to the criminal complaint, Knowles has a previous DWI from January 2008.

Minnesota State Patrol Chief Kevin Daly said this incident shows the dangers troopers face every day.

Comments

1. Matt says:

sounds like you know nothing about the occupy wall street people.

1. djp says:

Did they get hit with a taser too???…sheesh

2. Thank you, trooper says:

I’m sorry for the trooper. At least she got yet another misfit off the streets. Thank you ma’am. Hope she recovers quickly.

1. TomK says:

AGREED!!! And how many DUI’s or other run ins has this ‘toad’ had with the law? I think it’s past time to teach him a REAL lesson. No workhouse, no county lock up. Put him away for awhile.

1. Sheena says:

Well I am not sure where any of you get off judging people you dont know. Remember there is always 2 sides to a story then the truth!! So before you go casting your judgement and acting a fool maybe you should know both parties. I went to school with Elijah and have been friends with him for 10 years and NEVER in my time known him to be violent. Everyone in our small town is blown away by this. He’s a kicker for you, The police have NO video footage of this altercation and in the state of Minnesota the second you flip your lights on your camera starts recording. I believe there is way more to this story then the press is letting on. BTW if she was beat so bad why haven’t they shown a photo?? They do every other time an officer is assaulted. SO really leave your judgement for your self cause it sure is not very god like to be talking trash about a situation you dont know about! We as people have no right judging anyone. I am not saying Elijah did nothing wrong cause certainly he did. He got behind the wheel when he was drinking. and something def happened that night. As for what really happened we will not know because there is no video footage. The only ones that knows the truth is Elijah and the police officers. so as for everyone else do something more productive with your time and be the change you want to see in this world. Instead of being bullies that hide behind a computer talking trash about a very sad situation for both parties.

3. jp says:

Speedy recovery Trooper!

4. BearskinBob says:

I find it funny that people assume this drunken idiot has a political affiliation. My bet would be he has never voted on anything in his life and certainly won’t after the fight with the cops.

5. Later says:

Im sure they’ll miss you, you don’t matter to them or your family so beat it.

6. WalkingSheep says:

I’d rather be dead than troll boards and bring politics into every single one of them, you people are such fools, vote however you want whatever platform your choice campaigns on will not be the same one he stands for if elected.

7. kevin says:

That’s why they have screen names like jackel!

8. we need tough DUI laws says:

Assaulting a police officer is a federal crime and this misfit will surely be serving a long sentence. That God that this highway patrol officer survived the beating. It could have been worst.

9. D says:

AND..what the HELL does your comment have to do with this story…moron.

1. Ahh goo goo gahh gahh goo goo gah? says:

Ahh goo goo gahh gahh goo goo gah?

2. Ahh goo goo gahh gahh goo goo gah goo goo? says:

Ahh goo goo gahh gahh goo goo gah goo goo?

10. @ just tryin' to speak .... lol says:

too funny and stupid there ” just sayin’ “, like everything you post always is. 😉

I’d love to bumb into you sometime – it truly would make my day there junior. Now gop have mommy change your diaper and wipe yer snotty nose with a tissue there boy. lol

11. Justice says:

You are an angry person and can’t even see yourself in the mirror. Just another follower who lets other sheeple do your thinking for you.

Would love to see your education compared to mine. I respect people enough not to put everyone in the same category and I am in the tea party.

12. Jay says:

Wishing the trooper a speedie recovery.

13. G.Youngegbirt61@yahoo.com says:

Or firefighters

14. j speedbag 64 says:

by the looks of him he wont be serving any time…..thats our justice system,10 bucks he walks with a little probation…..

15. Obv. says:

Just let drunks drive leave them alone, if you have a problem with them then don’t drive after midnight.

1. DOROTHY MATHEWS says:

HOW CAN ANY SANE PERSON MAKE SUCH AN IGNORANT REMARK, JUST LET UR FINGERS DO THE WALKING WITHOUT ENGAGING BRAIN

16. Get educated says:

You are ridiculous.

17. Harold says:

This might be one of the most asinine statements I have ever read.

18. Jackie Du Charme says:

Male police get hurt probably more times than the female police. Leave it to a jerk to beat someone. HOpe he goes to jail for some time. Idiot.

1. Chimp says:

Do you know the ratio of men to women police? Lol sharp statement.

19. The Vikings should sign this woman beater! says:

Hey, I just had a brilliant idea! This guy is a woman beater, right? Well, duh, the Vikings should sign him up – he’ll fit right into Zippy’s collection of misfits and law breakers.

I do, however, feel sorry for Ponder – he looks too good, too law-abiding, too clean cut, and too decent to be on the Vikings.

20. Walter says:

Wow.

That level of stupidity is breath taking.

21. Scott Alan says:

The easiest way to spot a loser is someone who cannot help but hurl insults. You can not stop can you? I’ll bet you are an arrogant character who thinks he is somehow smarter than everyone else. This is why I am no longer a Democrat. I can’t take the smug idiots anymore. What the tolerance crowd fails to realize is that they are the least tolerant of other ideas. So much for making a point. You are now a little man spouting off with no real point to make. This is why the Republicans are winning. Keep up the teen age assaults. I pity you.

1. Paul Solinger says:

Did I put you in your place yesterday. I’ll do it again for the sake of those who missed it the first time. Republicans are the same, exact way. They hurl insults, look down their noses at people, and care more about themselves then others. If you think they are so much better then Democrats, then I pity you.

22. Richard in Minneapolis says:

“and while he was being put into a patrol car, he kicked on of the deputies in the chest.”

Probably learned that move from watching the Vikes-Packers game. (Yeah, I know, that kick was a little lower.)

23. tom says:

Shame the trooper didn’t get her own gun in the struggle and cap him a couple times. save us taxpayers some money, speedy recovery to the trooper.

1. jackactionhero says:

I am speculating that the holster’s safety mechanism came into play here. A good holster typically requires a double move to remove the weapon from it.

If she had remove it from the holster, after having suffered the head injuries, there’s a good possibility he would have taken that from her as well, and then the situation really gets dicey.

Just my .02 on it.

24. Mr. Norton says:

Good reason why females just don’t belong doing a man’s job. I saw a city one break down bawlin when a guy was screaming at her. Not sayin a few male ones I’ve seen probably would too,if you know what I mean.

1. jackactionhero says:

No, what do you mean?

25. Karalyn says:

I am absolutely appauled by the ethnocentrism and ignorance that is being stated on the above comments regarding politicians. You are spreading hatred by stating your comments in an ad hominem fallacy manner. It shouldn’t matter to you or anybody else what political views an individual has. There is no reasonable excuse for spreading animosity and stereotypical thoughts. It is pitiful and immature. Now, lets talk about what is actually important here. A State Trooper was brutally beaten. I wish for her a speedy recovery and for the accused to get the sentence he deserves REGARDLESS of his political status!!!

26. Taco Wilson says:

I’m sure it saves the taxpayers money, but maybe State Troopers shouldn’t ride alone. It shouldn’t matter what sex the Peace Officer is, because anyone can get surprised and overpowered; youtube is full of videos proving this. Police officers shouldn’t ride alone.

1. Fred says:

no troopers shouldnt ride alone, especially women. being a cop can be a physical nasty job. sorry but women are not equal when it comes to violence and force, and they need backup. i live on the east side, and any time i see a cop riding alone i just shake my head. they have no presence on the east side. hell, its one of the reasons the somalis moved to st paul, is the mpls cops are huge and not one to mess with and were getting their rears handed to them when they messed with the cops, now they are in st paul. and their gangs and terrorist training b.s. has followed them. st paul and the highway patrol are so far behind the times when it comes to the reality of violence that nasty things are going to happen until they wake up.

27. jeff says:

I think it is funny how the article says her training saved her life. No her training got her taser taken away. Another good reason there are some jobs woman have no business doing. It doesn’t matter how trained a woman is, she still can’t over power a man when he wants to get away. On another note I think finally a cop gets the beating during an arrest. Usually it’s the other way around, the cop beats and violates the citizens.

1. jackactionhero says:

Usually?

That’s a bold statement, and I suspect it’s false, and by a good measure at that.

2. c-rob says:

“finally” a cop gets a beating ? So you’re saying that’s a good thing ? If it’s bad when a cop beats someone then what makes this a good thing ?

28. PFC. Knowles, Casey says:

I just spent part of my time reading all your comments about my older brother. Let me clear some things up for you all. Because you clearnly need it and are clearly are speaking from an entirely too biased standpoint. I can see that all the way from Afghanistan, it’s embarassing to me.
    -Politics have no place in this incident. To the extent of my knowledge he is still not part of ANY political party. So the relavence of that to this story is still a mystery to me.
    -His actions are inexcusable, even as his brother I sincerely hope he does spend jail time for them. If he makes bail then something is severely wrong, it’s probably not going to happen.
    -He’s not a ‘woman beater’, he’s (obviously if you read the article) an alcoholic. So all of you drinkers take it as a learning example.
    -Her training probably wasn’t what saved her life to be perfectly blunt. Unless she’s specificlly trained to fight a 6’2″ 220lb guy who does masonry. Not giving up and backup arriving promptly is what did. No one should patrol alone, no one should take that risk. Whether it is a woman or a man makes no difference.
    -Lastly, tom. who ever you may be, please refrain from such comments. I agree he was at no point in time anything but in the wrong. Don’t try to condem someone so blindly or you don’t set yourself much apart from him in his actions by being so angry and impulsive. I hope you also take into consideration that he has a family as much as anyone else. Like it’s not embarassing enough as it is your immaturity only adds insult to injury. If you read the article you would notice he was drunk so dont ignore that fact.
    For everyone else coming to this article to post, leave it alone. He will recieve judgement so give it a rest. If you have something you are really dying to say I would rather have it said to me then broadcasted to the world, so e-mail me and get it off your chest.
    selwonk@yahoo.com
    Because I’m already embarassed enough from his actions, besides he can’t read your comments from jail so get over it.
    State Trooper Darcy Gagnon I wish you the speediest of recoveries and that you remain safe in the line of duty.

1. Wabun says:

Nicely stated!

2. Bruce Knowles says:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! I agree with Your Comment. /Post

29. SJH says:

How in the world did a DUI and Attack on a cop turn into a political fight? If ya wanna fight politics go do it on the political news threads. It is not appropriate for this incident.

Darcy I hope to see you back on the road soon.

And for those of you discriminating on women shouldn’t do certain jobs. Grow up this is the 21st century and most of us can do a “mans” job better!

30. ap says:

seriously, woman do not belong in law enforcement. its just common sence.