Amelia Talks College Student Loans With Obama Officials

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – WCCO-TV’s Amelia Santaniello certainly had a whirlwind couple of days in Washington, D.C.

That’s right, when the White House invites you for a visit, they sure keep you busy. Santaniello spent two full days in the nation’s capitol, with the highlight coming Tuesday as she had a 1-on-1 interview with President Barack Obama.

The president invited WCCO-TV as part of his strategy to get attention for his American Jobs Bill. It’s a bill he said will help the failing economy, but does not have much support in Congress.

One of the fun and unexpected things was meeting “Bo, the First Dog.” He was a really well-behaved dog with all the camera attention and strangers wanting to pet him.

Santaniello was also able to talk with three different members of the Obama administration. The topics ranged from mortgage rates to homeland security.

And she took some email questions from viewers straight to Education Secretary Arne Duncan. We asked specifically about the high interest rates on college student loans during this difficult economy.

“What we’ve done is significantly reduce those loan payments by a couple hundred dollars a month. The President is doing this without waiting on Congress.  We can’t wait. Folks need relief now. And putting a couple hundred dollars each month back in people’s pockets to pay the rent, or buy the car, or pay the electricity bill, or groceries is hugely important,” said Duncan.

According to Duncan, the President’s plan will cap monthly student loan payments at 10 to 15 percent of a graduate’s income.

Comments

1. Jake says:

STUPID IDEA. Look, people, when my nieces and nephews have a birthday, or when CHRISTMAS comes around, I always give CASH, and suggest that the parents put it away for COLLEGE, so they can afford it, IF they are GOOD ENOUGH to use it WISELY. I don’t give them TOYS, that will end up in a closet after only a month, or in a garage sale a year later. Some relatives do, and that’s fine. When I’m doing well, I give more, when I’m not doing so well, I give less, but I always give something. If more people did that, our younger generations would be far better off. It isn’t ROCKET SCIENCE.

2. Lee says:

Federal student loans have a low fixed interest rate. My minimum monthly payment is only $125. You can also easily get a deferment on your payments if you ever become unemployed. I realize many students can end up with a larger student debt than I have, but that’s their choice. If you need your monthly payments reduced by “a couple hundred dollars a month” then you probably made a poor financial decision. This is just a partisian ploy to remind young people to vote for Obama again next year.

3. Sue says:

Obama is using tax payer money to buy votes.

4. Pat says:

Once again, politics is bailing out, instead of fixing the high cost of education. Education costs have greatly outpaced income increases. First lower the costs, then worry about why students can’t pay their bills.

5. Walter says:

The government should stay out of the private sector.

Only bad things can come of this.

6. See BS says:

Universities have become “Arts and Humanities” Churches, and Obama is using taxpayer money to bail out hippie college professors and liberal bible thumpers.

Universites also breed violent radicals — like the ones making bombs at the RNC and radical students who stage hate crimes for special treatment.

Taxpayer money should only be going towards real science.

1. Citizen says:

@See. I am copying and pasting your comment into an e-mail for my son who majored and has a double degree in physics. Then I will have to pick him up off the floor where he will be rolling around and laughing hysterically at your ignorance of college life and science.

1. See BS says:

Obama shall pass no laws respecting an establishment of religion.

7. Mary says:

Amelia asked the right questions and just got the usual wrong answers.
    Concerned