Thieves Target Newborn’s Room In St. Paul Burglary

ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) — The cooing and cuddling with a newborn is among the most precious memories any parent can have. But for Megan McGinnis, that peaceful moment was terribly interrupted when her little girl of only a week became a victim of crime.

“We were like, ‘Why are my dogs in the house?’ And then the door was open and then I saw all our stuff gone … our TV, everything,” McGinnis explained.

Thieves broke into the family’s St. Paul home around 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon. It happened just a short time after Megan and baby Bria had driven to a relative’s home.

McGinnis said they were gone only briefly, saying, “An hour, just an hour.”

By the time the mother and infant returned home, the burglars had carted off a big screen television, several electric guitars and a backpack filled with McGinnis’ college textbooks.

But the worst discovery was when McGinnis walked into the baby’s room. Ten large boxes of diapers and a closet full of baby clothes were all gone.

“This is what really hurts me — stealing stuff from my baby … really bad, because she’s my world,” added Megan, while fighting away the tears.

On Wednesday afternoon, the tears softened slightly when she and her grandmother visited the office of “Birthright,” a local non-profit that supports the needs of expectant mothers.

McGinnis was given an emergency supply of diapers, baby jumpers and blankets. The basket full of goods is just enough to help the family get by.

“It’s nice that we can help out,” said Mary Ann Gruba with Birthright.

St. Paul Police are investigating the burglary, but at this point they have little information or leads to pursue.

But for McGinnis and baby Bria, it’s the theft of hand-knit clothes and a digital camera containing hospital photos that hurts the most.

“Just clothes my grandma made me for the baby. She knits and now I don’t have those,” she said.

Anyone with information about the burglary is asked to contact the St. Paul Police Department.

More from Bill Hudson
Comments

1. Judy says:

BETS, this is someone that knew exactly what she had and possibly visited the aprtment with a frind at some point. This incident takes the cake for a new lowlife crime. Sorry for her loss, and thankful she was able to get some help.

1. PC is evil and dangerous says:

I agree many thefts are by friends of teens that are ghetto variety. They have a compulsion to steal what they see, and seem to lack impulse control. One of the worst things to have is a safe, they see a safe and can’t get that out of their maind until they steal it. I know of several cases where this has occured.

2. Julie says:

I really hope the jerkwad(s) who did this get found.

3. KT says:

As a new mom myself (5 week old) I can’t even imagine this and what a loss that would be. Losing the camera with the pics from the hospital breaks my heart. Those pics are so priceless! I would like to help her by getting some diapers or clothes or something. Please how can I help her, what do they need most???

4. going downhill says:

Last week a dog was stabbed during a break in. I remember growing up in St. Paul and these crimes were very few.

1. jnsesq says:

How do you think the demographics have changed in St. Paul since you were a kid? Any guesses? What does that mean? That I’m racist? Or that 45 years of Great Society liberalism has failed utterly and absolutely?

1. XCPERT says:

You nailed it right on the head!

2. petey says:

You are 100% correct.No your not a racist,but I’m sure someone will find fault with what you said

3. Jamie Santos says:

wow just wow yes you are racist and a dill wade.

5. Jen Schaefer says:

I went to high school with the baby’s grandmother. The baby was just born within the past week. It’s hard enough being a parent and trying to afford everything your baby needs, and then to have this happen is tragic. Thankfully no one was harmed.

6. JGE says:

Did a monitor in the baby’s room let them know they’d be gone? People can pick up the signal and hear what is going on in the home through the monitor.

7. Dee Lorilee Johnston says:

In June of 2010, my sister-in-law and brother rushed off to the hospital to have their first child. When they returned to their Brooklyn Park home a few days later, they found the doors had been tampered with. Inside, they found the that someone had burglarized their home. Small easy to carry electronics, DVD cases (the DVDs were in a carousel player that was too bulky for them to take) and all their jewelry, some of great family value more than monetary value. Had she gone into labor a few days later, my brother would have the security system installed, the security system that was sitting in the closet and untouched by the thieves. The security system was installed as soon as the police were done with the crime scene. We are grateful that the baby’s room was untouched, but this new mother was terribly unsettled and did not feel safe in their home, especially with a treasure more precious than gold sleeping next to her. They spent the first week as parents in her sister’s home. A year later, they feel the violation of their space.

8. Tabitha says:

I can tell you that as a divorced mom living on very little I can guess where all the baby supplies went. Once Upon A Child will buy all newboard stuff that is in really good shape. They fork over check.

I have done then when my kids were really tiny and outgrew thing before outwearing them.

Check with Once Upon a Child Stores to see if large boxes of diapers and newboard clothes were brough in.

1. Peg says:

That is good to know, Tabitha. Thank you.

9. melissa says:

I too would like to help. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

1. Daisy says:

Probably the agency mentioned in the story, Birthright, in St Paul would be a good resource.

10. melissa says:

Diapers are so expensive. She should check out New Life Family Services, they also help moms with new babies. That must be the worst feeling in the world. So sorry.

11. Grandma Tonya says:

Thank you all for your prayers and wanting to help out….Megan is my Daughter and Bria is my granddaughter and what happened just sickens me. We are glad that they are safe and Megan is strong and will make it through. They took more from them than just material items, there space has been violated and that will take a while to get over that. An alarm system will be installed now so they can have some peace of mind that they are safe in theri own home. Many expensive items will need to be replaced and with the help of family, friends, and many kind hearted people she will get what she needs for baby Bria. If anyone would like to help her out, you can e-mail me at tlundblad@msn.com with your information and I will have Megan contact you personally. Thanks all for your thoughts…God Bless.

12. Evelyn says:

You are better off contacting the local police dept for info on how to help instead of a posted email in the comments… I’m just sayin’…

13. Maggie Fanelli says:

The cops should offer a reward for info leading to the perps. They’ll get ratted out by their buddies at the drop of a hat.

14. Steve S says:

Cut them open and gut them in public. Spineless cowards, they deserve the worst life can give them.

15. irishsmile says:

Credit nees to be given to Birthright for helping out this young mom. For the record, Birthright is not just a non-profit… it is a pro-life organization that does care even after the baby is born.

16. Burglar's Nightmare says:

Call me when you catch this guy and I’ll retroactively abort him for you. Absolutely no charge.

17. RoBoTech says:

People are desperate and hurtin’ out here.
    When a box of diapers is worth getting shot, or going to prison over, this shows how desperate the times are.
    And the worst of it?
    These same people worship Obama, while their children starve and lay in filth.
    How sorry, is that?

18. Gnaeus says:

Yeah, of course they stole the diapers! 10 large boxes? That’s a ton of money! Unless the TV was new that was probably their most valuable take.

19. Cousin says:

No not a single mother the father works and pays bill just like everyone else, not everyone has that choice to just go to Wal-Mart, and for a mother to give birth to a baby and then go right back to work wouldnt be right anyways, anybody w a family would know that. Charities are there for a reason too use them when times are hard, like scholarships are another type of CHARITY (idk if you went to college or anything and used a scholarship)….so please know what your talking about before you assume things

1. Blessed says:

LIKE^….My husband & I just had a baby, both of us have full time good paying jobs, pay taxes, have student loans we pay every month + normal monthly bills and we are not getting help by any gov. funded programs and it is REALLY hard. My leave is unpaid and had this happened to us we would have been in the same spot. We would be needing help from charity, family, friends & anyone else who offers. Baby stuff is VERY expensive and it’s not like you can go out and replace everything all at once. I had 3 showers and everything else my husband & I bought over SEVERAL months and we still have things we need. Clearly “Bill” you have never had children and shouldn’t comment on things that you don’t know what your talking about & have not experience yourself.

20. Marsha says:

Stealing from a baby. What is the world coming to???? I’m not a peace loving tree hugger but, I believe in live and let live, in tolerating if not accepting others beliefs, and that if I didn’t earn it then I don’t want it, we need to really start reinforcing basic morality back into our society and it has to start at home. Please parents drill this into your kids heads, everything you teach them from holding a door for an adult, to saying please and thank you does resonate.

21. Renee says:

Actually, Cousin, scholarships are not always charity. My daughter received a full scholarship for college. She received the scholarship because she worked for it. I know that’s a foreign concept to some, but while other kids were out partying, my daughter was studying. Please know what you’re talking about, rather than assume.

You stated that there’s a father, but failed to mention if they are married. Are they, or will they be separated within a couple of years, which is what happens about 90% of the time. Anecdotally, I know many girls just like those whom Bill mentioned.

22. cousin says:

and we all work hard and pay taxes which fund the colleges and fund the charities…im not trying to argue and i know some girls that are like that too that bill mentioned im just saying….

23. Megan McGinnis says:

I do not understand the bashing I am getting, this is somthing terriable that has happened to me and my family. I have been collecting baby stuff for 8 months i did not go all in one day to get everything this is hundreds worth of stuff. And Bill i have been in college for more then just now, i have been in for a couple years and what?? i should just quit now seriously?? i am bettering myself and my baby. Also ALOT of people are not married many many people have children without getting married getting married is just a piece of paper. I cannot belive people like you I have done nothing to deserve the thing i have happened to me and never deserved it. Now i cannot have my babies first moment that are on my camera along with me giving birth how violated would you feel. I am not asshamed that i need help and without help my baby would not have nothing they stole everything from my baby and everything from me. And people like you should look at yourself a little longer because its already horriable enough at what happened and now i have to deal with bashing that i do not deserve. you should be ashamed, very ashamed

24. Renee says:

Megan, nobody thinks the theft of your (or anyone’s) property is a good thing. As another poster wrote, odds are the thief is someone known to you, who has been in your home.

That being said, you’re right – a lot of people have babies without benefit of marriage. Unfortunately for the kids, 90% of the time the parents break up, and the kids are left without one of the parents in the house. The kids always pay the price. Much as you’d like to pretend otherwise, marriage is more than just a piece of paper. It demonstrates a different level of commitment, both to the spouse, and to the children. Yes, I know some claim a 50% failure rate of marriages, but that is still a lot better than 90%.

There is a supreme selfishness to having a child outside of wedlock. Reality always intrudes on the fairytale dream. At some point in the future there is wailing, with a plaintive cry of, “I’m a single mom”! No sympathies for that, except for the child involved.

1. darlene says:

I was married 6 years when I had my first child then 2 more when my husband left us i becamed a displaced homemaker no job experience and no job. I raised 3 boys as a single mother. I did not have a “fairy tale dream” and I had every right to say “I am a single mother and at times I needed help from my family. I did not go on welfare. Megan is not on welfare. Right now she does not need lectures, just compasion

25. darlene says:

More Bashing? Married or not, this is not the time to critisize. This is a commited young couple with plans of marriage. who have a beautiful baby. The fact of the matter is they were violated. Victems of a cruel crime to a baby!

1. Tata says:

Burglaries happen quite often these days..no question about it…But stealing baby’s diapers????? clothes??????? Where is this society going????? Those thieves have to be punished big time…and let’s hope it’ll happem soon…And, Megan, you have to understand that people are different and sometimes very unfair…don’t get upset that much…you’ll never change those people who are mean and unfair towards you and your situation…but there are also lots of people who sympathize with you and hope that everything will come out good for you and your baby girl..

2. Renee says:

Not true. This is not a committed couple. A committed couple would have married before the beautiful baby was born. This is a couple of young people who decided to play at being a family. When one of them decides to leave, the child will be left with only one parent.

26. Renee says:

No, Darlene, if what you wrote is true, you are not a single mother, you are a divorced mother. Big difference.

Compassion? Yes, I have compassion towards anyone who has been a victim of a crime. Again, it’s most likely someone she knows, and I hope the criminal is caught. If you want compassion for her incredibly selfish act of being a single mother, you’ll have to look elsewhere. Once her child is grown you might want to ask him how happy he has been to not have two parents.

You also might want to ask the numerous children of single mothers who are incarcerated whether they would have been better off with two parents in the household.

1. darlene says:

Are you God? Stop this self rightious BS. You are not to judge , look at your own sins

1. Renee says:

Darlene, I have every right to judge their actions. They are harming this baby, probably for life. We are required to judge what is right for ourselves and society. By every measure – every measure – children of single mothers fare poorly. Of course, there are always exceptions, there is no abolute.

As to their souls, that is not mine to judge.

27. Tata says:

Renee, why are you so sure that this couple is not going to get married???? It’s in their plans, trust me…amd try not to be so mean,,,Is this your own expeience talking???? I think it is.. at least it sounds like it…And despite all meanness you are showing towards this couple I feel sorry for you if you really had gone through single motherhood or a bitter divorce..

1. Renee says:

Wrong, Tata, I have been happily married for over 30 years. My husband and I have one grown child, one minor child.

I’m sure they aren’t going to get married because I look at the odds. The odds are that they won’t. Plans are meaningless; it’s actions that count. Their actions tell those who have eyes that they are not fully committed either to each other, or to their child.

You say I’m being mean, but I’m not the one who is harming this child. Trying to convince the parents to do the right thing and take care of their own child isn’t being mean, it’s being more compassionate than you and others who keep saying they’re fine. Helping someone when he is doing something destructive to self or others isn’t being nice, it’s just evil.

28. Billy says:

Come on family! accept kindness, gently used, and not so new instead of asking for another baby shower. Yes this was uncalled for the crime but really to not be gratful for the things you have been given thus far. Police will do there job, because kids talk and they will get caught . From one grandparent to another take whats offered be grateful and stop all the “not good enough ” actions. Really!!