Student Recalls The Explosion That Scorched His Face

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A Maple Grove student says he’s still in shock after a high school science experiment conducted by his teacher blew up in his face and gave him second-degree burns.

Dane Nueberger said Friday that he avoids looking into the mirror.

“I was on fire,” he said. “My face was actually on fire.”

Three other students were also hurt in the explosion, but Nueberger suffered the worst of it. He is now recovering at the Hennepin County Medical Center.

If Neuberger’s burns stay at second-degree status, they should heal without scarring in 10-14 days. However, Neuberger said his injuries forced him to miss his first wrestling meet. He also said he plans to shave the scorched hair of his head – something he wish he didn’t have to do.

Neuberger is expected to spend another day or two in the hospital.

Investigators have closed off the room where the explosion took place at Maple Grove Junior High, but life at the rest of the school has returned to normal.

Nueberger said his teacher told him he was sorry as he waited for an ambulance.


One Comment

  1. Carol A says:

    Poor kid feel so bad for him

  2. Jim carey says:

    “Let me show you somethin!”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Good Question

Listen Live