ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – St. Paul Fire Marshal Steve Zaccard said a working sprinkler system made the difference between two fires that happened recently in the city.
Fire crews responded to a house recently in St. Paul where a pot of cooking oil on the stove started on fire. The fire grew quickly, spreading to the cabinets above and around the stove. By the time crews put the fire out, the damage had already been done. Zaccard said extensive heat, smoke and water damage caused about $54,000 in damage.
Another fire occurred in a four-bedroom apartment that Zaccard said was protected by a sprinkler system. The fire started by an overheated fan in the basement ceiling, and the amount of heat set off a nearby sprinkler which put out the fire with a limited amount of water used. The total damage was estimated at about $150 and the family returned that morning.
Experts say careless cooking is the leading cause of building fires and that 80 percent of fire deaths happen in the home.