Chaska Police Officer Saves Life Of Choking Toddler

CHASKA (WCCO) — A Chaska police officer saved a toddler who was choking on food and stopped breathing.

In the afternoon of Dec. 9, Officer Chris Pesheck was the first to arrive at a home after responding to an emergency call, according to Chaska Police.

When Pesheck arrived at the home, the distraught parent met the officer at the door with the 23-month-old child in their arms. Police said the parent handed the child, who was not breathing and turning blue, to Pesheck.

“In that moment, I didn’t really know what I was doing, my training just kicked in and I went about doing what I was supposed to do,” said Pesheck.

Pesheck could not find an airway obstruction so he delivered upper-back thrusts to the child. After several thrusts, a large piece of food came out of the child’s mouth. The child then started breathing again.

“He started crying. Normally, it’s a bad thing when your kids start crying, but this was a good thing,” said Pesheck.

The child was transported to a nearby medical center and was released not long afterward.

Pesheck received a “letter of commendation” from Chaska Police Sgt. Joe Carlson on the day of this life-saving act.

1. Sam I am says:

I think he needs more the a letter. Just saying…..

2. angus says:

The next time you complain about having to pay taxes for policeprotection or when you are stopped by police, think of this incident

3. Snowsmart says:

Children can chock easily. Know how to deal with it parents. A police officer may not be as available as this one was. The child is very lucky!

4. mel says:

I’ve had to give my child the heimlich as well, and sometimes a parent is afraid to hit the babe hard enough to cause the object to come out, so don’t be so quick to blame the parent for not knowing what to do. Some people go into panic, but obviously this mother responded very quickly and called 911. THis is a great day for this family and the cop. I’m so happy for all of them.

5. GRRRRR... says:

good training in action, way to go officer, now go gets some criminals off the street

6. red says:

Kudos to this officer- I am happy to hear there was a happy ending. I cannot imagine what this mother was going through

7. JackieM says:

Great job to this police officer! That commity is blessed to have him there!

8. mike says:

I work in law enforcement and anytime you think a cop a is jerk, just watch the response you get when a child involved medical call is involved. Its basically run until the wheels fall off!

9. Gibis's Eden Prairie says:

Nice work Chris! Great day for the little guy, his parents and extra great day for a officer that is humble.

All the best Chris. Happy Holidays !