Candlelight Vigil Held For Officer Shot, Critically Injured

LAKE CITY, Minn. (WCCO/AP) — Agents from the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension are back in Lake City Tuesday investigating the shooting of a police officer.

Bureau spokeswoman Jill Oliveira says investigators are interviewing witnesses and are collecting evidence at the home where the suspected shooter was found dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

On Tuesday night, a candlelight vigil was held outside the medical center’s St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, where Mayo Clinic spokesman Joe Dangor says Shawn Schneider remains in critical condition.

The 32-year-old Lake City officer was shot in the head and neck Monday after responding to a domestic call at the house. Police say Schneider is a married father of three children.

Authorities identified the shooter as 25-year-old Alan Sylte Jr. of Hager City, Wis.

A fund has been set up to help Officer Schneider’s family. Donations can be sent to:

Shawn Schneider Fund
Alliance Bank
105 E. Lyon Avenue
Lake City, MN 55041

Comments

1. KegHead says:

I thought they only shot at cops in St. Louis.

2. Rocky says:

Did u see what they did to the house? Why do they totally destroy it? busted out all the windows, riped doors off, Why, the guy was DEAD allready….I know it is overkill, and the fire dept loves busten out windows…..Tax payers pay for it, again.

1. Brian says:

@rocky-Unless they destroyed a government building, you aren’t paying for anything (assuming you even pay taxes). And the fire department didn’t do a thing, it was the SWAT team. You’re just another uninformed idiot who thinks he’s in a position to Monday-morning-quarterback the manner in which officers handled this situation. It was obvious from the beginning that this guy would stop at nothing to kill/harm police officers. Unless the guy comes out with his hands up and lays down, nobody knows what’s waiting inside. Next time, I suggest you offer your services and go ring the doorbell yourself. Then take the guy into custody on your own. Otherwise, keep your comments to yourself and stick to World of Warcraft, fool.

2. anti bachmann says:

thats cause a cop got shot anybody else it would be no big deal

1. Lori says:

This isnt a big deal….ITS A HUGE DEAL. Senseless. Its time to respect the work police officers do. They are no different than our military who put their lives on the line as well. This moron has wrecked an entire families lives and the communities where they live. Look at three little kids with tears in their eyes wondering what happened to their dad and tell them your stupid thoughts. Grow up.

3. Lisa says:

They should have blown up the house.

3. JS says:

Just another one of these losers who think it’s their world, the rest of us just live in it. When they get mad, we all of us better look out, ’cause it’s all about them. Losers. All my sympathy goes to those who have to deal with people like that.

4. Kevin says:

Hero! A man of honor and grit!

5. Kevin says:

You are a POS. You should meet me in person so we can discuss your castarated views. I would love to spend 15 minutes beating the living He** out of you. Let me know.

1. d says:

The 15 minutes you spend with me would be your last. Anytime anyplace pig. Leave your badge at home so you can’t hide behind like you pigs usually do.

1. Kevin says:

PIg? My God your a moron. Im no cop dumb a**. So why dont we meet at Maplewood Mall infornt of Sears at 2:00 PM. I know a quite little spot in Maplewood where we can chat. Ill wait outside by the front door. Ill be wearing camo pants and sweatshirt. I am 6’4 and 270 lbs. And my name is Kevin. See you there son….no dishonors a wounded hero when I am around….

1. D says:

Fat Kevin, 2:00 won’t work because I have a job unlike you probably so 6:00 will work better. Befor you call this thug a hero do you know he has seven excessive force complaints against him? 5 resulting extended hospital stays for the victim. You’re not a hero just because you get shot!!!!

1. Kevin says:

Oh you little glitter tosser….I will see you at 6 pm and you can tell me all about your feeling….your views…..then….I will show you mine….you have made my day. so glue your sack on…and I will see you there…..I drive a black Ford F150….see you then lover boy…I will show you what excessive force really is….oh and I do work…I work at a gym…..see you soon you POS…

6. chris says:

WHERE U AT KEVIN BOY

1. Kevin says:

I will do you tomorrow chirs. Right now I am going to beat the h*ll out of d what ever a d is. Same place same time for you tomorrow. Merry Christmas to me.

7. chris says:

Kevin, you need to actually work out at the gym you work at instead of cleaning the bathroom. I will give you a week to recover after D beats you down and then you can get seconds from me