Cigarette Blamed For Mpls. Apartment Fire

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A cigarette may be to blame for a fire that broke out at an apartment building in Minneapolis early Friday morning.

The fire happened around 12:30 a.m. at the Arches in Art apartments on 3rd Avenue South.

The man who lives at the apartment said he remembers leaving a cigarette lit, which may have started the couch on fire.

He got out after smoke alarms went off, but is being treated at Hennepin County Medical Center for smoke inhalation.

Crews were able to knock down the fire quickly. No other units were affected.

Comments

One Comment

  1. Nancy Aleshire says:

    The resident with the cigarette needs to be forced to pay part of the costs of the damage, whether it was intentional or not. Perhaps this will serve as a wake up call to smokers to be more careful, or better yet QUIT SMOKING. My apartment complex had a fire a few years ago caused by smoking. That is why more and more landlords now don’t want to rent to smokers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Goin' To The Lake
The Leaderboard

Listen Live