Mom Devastated Over Boy Shot, Killed By Stray Bullet

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A boy who was hit in the head by a stray bullet while he was inside his Minneapolis home on Monday night has died.

The boy has been identified by North Memorial Medical Center as 3-year-old Terrell Mayes. Hospital officials said he passed away around 11:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Minneapolis Police said the shooting incident happened around 7 p.m. on Monday. The city’s ShotSpotter system notified police of gunshots in the area of 2600 Block of Colfax Avenue North — in the Hawthorne neighborhood.

When police arrived, officers found the toddler inside the home with adults. He was rushed to North Memorial Medical Center in Robbinsdale, Minn. for treatment where he died Tuesday morning.

Police believe the bullet came from outside the home, but so far no one has been arrested. They said there’s no evidence the people inside the home were being targeted.

Holding back tears, Marsha Mayes talked about her youngest child and the night that changed her life forever.

“When I say you disrupted my soul, you disrupted my soul. You took my life,” she said.

Marsha Mayes said she had just left her home in north Minneapolis when her sister called her with the news — a bullet came into the home and hit Terrell.

“But here it is. The devil creeped inside and took my son’s life,” she said. “He was only three. He didn’t get to live his life.”

Pastor Jesse Griffin who lives in the neighborhood said he heard what sounded like fireworks going off. When he went outside where he found a bullet hole in the side of his garage.

“We looked out the window and they had everything, roped off, police everywhere,” recalled Griffin.

Detectives said they don’t know who the shooter is and they’re still investigating why someone was firing their gun, ultimately killing the little boy who loved to smile and play.

“There’s nothing I can do to bring him back or anything, but whoever has done this needs to come forward,” said Marsha Mayes. “Please come forward and do the right thing.”

Police are asking anyone who has information on the shooting to call 911. Crime Stoppers of Minnesota is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information. Calls to Crime Stoppers can be made anonymously at 1-800-222-8477(TIPS).

“This is a horrible incident for this child and his family, especially over the holiday season; we again need the public’s help,” said Minneapolis Police Chief Timothy Dolan in a released statement.

Shannon Canny who lives next door to the home said she knows the family and there is definite sense of loss.

“How do you know offer condolences in a situation like this especially when it’s a young child? How do you express sympathy and something that would be encouraging to the family, it’s really hard,” she said.

Other neighbors said that it’s not uncommon to hear gunshots and that, at times, they’re not sure whether to call police because they don’t know where they’re coming from.

Comments

1. kevin says:

On…and on….and on….and on…..

1. Chris says:

Yes… and it will continue as long as it is not made a priority for the cops and the people that live there! You need to step up and stop it… there is just no excuse that it is tolerated. Much easier for the cops to write tickets instead of actually making a difference! They should think about this little guy when putting their badges on…

1. Lori says:

I have a feeling they more than think about it when they put their badges on. They don’t want to be shot anymore than the people living there. I would be willing to bet that if the people being shot at would start to tell the police who is doing this, because they know who is doing the shooting, it would turn around. Its gang related and no one wants to talk. How can the police help, if no one feels safe enough to talk? It wont stop until the residents are fed up with it.

1. Chris says:

@Lori… I understand and agree…
          But, if these areas were canvased heavily at times, these gang losers would be weeded out! The cops do it with their DUI efforts, why not do it in these neighborhoods? Stop all the cars and search them if they suspect anything! That will certainly put a damper on their brazen, but cowardice acts!!!

1. stubby says:

They won’t do it because in this guilt-white society, they don’t want to be called racist. You start doing that and Jesse Jackson will be here with his bull horn accusing the cops of profiling. That’s the simple truth.

1. Chris2011 says:

Exactly-the more police spend in the neighborhood, the more the neighborhood will complain that they are being profiled and targeted by the police. It is interesting to see the demand for police when something bad happens, and when the police meet that demand they are shunned for doing it. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t!

1. dinnmpls says:

The cops don’t do it because they get no calls or cooperation from the black community so they really have nothing to go on, they can’t sit on a block and wait for a shooting like they can sit on a highway and wait for drunk drivers. The need info in order to act on this type of thing and the community simply doesn’t provide it.

2. svea says:

Poor little guy. Praying for a full recovery.

1. atheist says:

How’d that prayer work for you?

2. dinnmpls says:

Title of the article says ‘killed’…thinking recovery isn’t too likely. Even if it was I doubt prayer would make much of any difference.

3. Ace says:

If there were fewer guns available, there would be fewer people shot by the jerks who carry them

1. Bad seeds says:

Maybe … or maybe even better would be more guns in the right hands of law abiding citizens. I’m sensing that short of neighborhood watches and patrols, with armed units of 2-3 on every damn corner/block this will continue.
      Folks – if you live here, want to make it better and safer START blowing the fricken whistle on those that you know. And cease the bs of I didn’t see-I don’t know them- they in your ‘hood and you or someone does.
      Or just allow them to kill you off – frankly I dunno if I give a chit anymore since you don’t seem to

2. Grynch says:

@ Ace. WRONG! It’s not the guns that kill people it’s mostly the bullets and the people who decide to discharge them.

3. Chuck says:

@Ace… But these are criminals with illegal firearms!!!
      Most of them are probably even felons that cannot hold firearms at all anyway… doesn’t seem to make any difference to these losers. Hard to apply logic within legal parameters to these who are set on destroying what others have earned… even 3 year old boys!

1. CITBOC says:

You can’t fight evil…as long as there is a will, there’s a way. Thugs that want to illegally carry weapons, will always find a way to do that.

Good people in these neighborhoods are afraid to ‘blow the whistle’ at gang menbers, thugs, etc. FEAR is holding good people ‘hostage’ from doing the right thing, unfortunately…

4. Spooky says:

just wait for round 2 and round 3 of the foreclosure wave when it hits …. you have seen nothing, NOTHING, yet

1. Dave says:

Yep, more rental properties for “investors” to exploit.

5. tomsmegpa says:

Spooky is correct! Wholesale insurrection!

6. Tony Rozycki says:

sad state of affairs

7. Kevin says:

My thoughts and prayers to the family…..another senseless death of a child….

8. JACKIE says:

MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS FAMILY. I HOPE THEY GET WHOEVER DID THIS AND JUSTICE IS SERVED, WHEN IS THIS SENSELESS KILLING GOING TO STOP. THIS WAS AN INNOCENT CHILD.

9. em0886 says:

How tragic and sad for this family…RIP little man.

10. Dave says:

ugh… poor little guy. Makes me sick.

11. So sad! says:

This is so sad! Also people you need to start calling the police if you hear gun shots that may help catch those gangsters and put them in jail. Do not be afraid cuz you can keep anonymous so no one finds out you called.

12. jackactionhero says:

The shooters must not have attended the candlelight vigil a couple months ago.

1. desert eagle .50 says:

Which candlelight vigil? Please be specific.

13. Momma of 2 says:

This breaks my heart. Such a senseless and preventable tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with this little angels family and friends.

Fly high little one.

14. Sara says:

This family is in my thoughts and prayers. This poor little boy was just an innocent victim. I hope they find the person that did this.

15. Jay says:

Very sorry to hear the child passed away. Our sympathy to the family. We pray the person gets caught that caused your sons death.

16. Terrible news says:

Senseless. It hurts to hear such news. I pray for the family.

17. Sonjay says:

I believe that the same way Huber Humphrey drove out the Mob in his time that we need a leader that can actually address this problem. I know Dayton can’t because of the inference that it is a racial judgment but if the standards on child rearing were actually enforced in this area the emotional, physical, and sexual abuse that is rampant in this area might be addressed. I have seen women strike children to the ground but have not felt like I can say something….

18. The Fan says:

The only way it will get any better is when we as a society start to actually treat the criminals like criminals. Don’t allow them to have any luxories. Make jails and prisons like they were in the past. When people were affraid of life behind bars. Now it seems criminals will gladly spend time in lock up because they have it easy while they’re there. Also this will probably upset some people but make the death penalty an option especially in this situation where an innocent child had to pay the price because some Ahole had a grudge with another Ahole.

1. dee says:

I agree with you about the jails. People who commit crimes like this have no rights. They gave their rights up when they commited a crime. Jail should be a place where people DON’T want to go. And perhaps while there, they can earn their keep by picking up trash along the streets or bring back the chain gangs that worked their debt to society off. But of course that will never happen again. We have become a society where the victoms are treated worse than the criminals.

2. jackactionhero says:

By the time we’re treating criminals like criminals, chances are we’re too late to actually resolve the situation for the future. You’re talking about a plan to wipe society’s nose as if the cold itself is a given. Cure the illness, don’t treat the symptoms.

19. Shocker says:

It makes me sick that these kind of people are part of the human race, when actually they’re not, get jobs and stop inpregnating every stray you run into to, I hope this person gets stomach cancer today.

20. Nancy Aleshire says:

First Tyesha Edwards and now Terrell Mayes–how many more of our innocent children must have their lives cut short. Let’s declare a war on guns–they are guaranteed to kill or maim. In memory of these precious souls, TURN IN THESE GUNS. This family was supposed to open up presents, not have to bury their child. My prayers are with the family–I’ve been there myself.

1. Charlie says:

@Nancy… But these are criminals with illegal firearms!!!
      Most of them are probably even felons that cannot hold firearms at all anyway… doesn’t seem to make any difference to these losers. Hard to apply logic within legal parameters to these who are set on destroying what others have… even 3 year old boys! They are nothing more than animals and they should be removed from society!

1. Dave says:

No doubt! Speaking as a Northside resident, I don’t mow my lawn without a piece!

2. jackactionhero says:

“Let’s declare a war on guns”

Meaning what exactly? More laws that people who don’t obey laws can casually disregard?

Or do you suggest house-to-house searches for guns and confiscation of all firearms from all residents?

What is it you’re suggesting? Please be clear here.

21. Dave says:

Nice news conference, more hand-wringing. Our current “leaders” need to step aside and give their jobs to people who have the balls to deal with this problem.

1. mary says:

No kidding Dave. Rybak was trying to sound tough, but I pictured him in bike shorts and a dopey helmet.

22. Joe's Mom says:

I can’t begin to imagine what that family is going through. Poor baby. Poor Mom. My condolences.

23. jean says:

Our prayers go out to this family! this is just so incredible sad and heart breaking😦

24. LARS says:

I read these ignorant comments… Karma is a Bitc@#$% people….let’s hope the next bullet does not strike any one of these ignorant inbreds making these harsh comments…. Karma….Karma… Karma

25. Brett says:

Time to stop the ‘no snitchin’ attitude, and the real citizens need to step up and cooperate, and TRUST, the police. Homeowners need to search their homes for unauthorized/stolen weapons (especially GUNS), and that means that parents need to take charge and do a thorough SEARCH or their teens belongings. Failure to do so results in stories like this, and at the Mall of America. Time to grow a backbone, and start doing the right thing.

26. bodylaun says:

You want real Police work or more discipline from the Chief over BS Civilian Review cases. Take it from me folks. There’s little Police work going on. It’s called self preservation on the road to retirement. It’s just as easy to stay out of the way and chase tail lights and the pay is the same.

1. Watching the horror says:

The police can’t raise children in Nord Minneapolis. The parents ACTUALLY have to make an EFFORT. DON’T take your young children downtown after 10 pm as sooooo many do to “hang out”. FOCUS on being a parent now that you have children and not the party lifestyle you think you missed out on.

27. RIII says:

Condolences to the family and friends of the family. I hope someone with a backbone turns the person that fired the shot into the police.

28. g'bye says:

I see WCCO has nuked the entire MOA comment thread. I’m thinking this one is next.

29. Edward Mims says:

its a real shame young peope killing young people i cant feel how his mother is feeling right now but i will say no parent should bury their kids the kids should be the one to bury their parents this kid was only 3 years old their is nothing anyone can say to bring this kid back its a shame it looks like to me whenever guns will be outlaw only outs will have guns my prayers goes out to the family turn to god he gives an he takes away my father who are in heaven halo will be tha name may it be done on earth as it is in heaven give this family the answer they need to hear in this hour amen

1. I'm just saying.... says:

Please return to your first grade classroom to work on your English before posting more comments.

30. truth says:

Seriously, what we need in our city are hi definition cameras attached to the top of every street light that automatically rotates from side to side and when a shot is picked up these cameras must have the ability to zoom in on particular subjects. If people knew they were being watched they are more likely to stay out of trouble.

1. Stipend says:

Are you going to pay for those special cameras?

2. dinnmpls says:

OR citizens could actually call the police when they see something suspicious, would be cheaper.

31. BJ says:

Sorry to hear such a sad story. One more reason law abiding citizens should arm themselves with a conceal carry permit .

1. I'm just saying.... says:

How would that have helped in this situation, tough guy?

32. Kevin says:

Wassa’ matter girls? Trut hurts? Heh.

33. Nancy Aleshire says:

I read that these children were running to an upstairs closet to hide because they heard gunfire and little Terrell did not make it in time and was hit by a bullett to the head. They viewed gunshots in that neighborhood the way people in Kansas view tornadoes. Children should not have to worry about such things. They deserve safe places where they can play outside or inside.

1. just sayin says:

You sound like a deranged woman who desperately wants kids.

1. I'm just saying.... says:

Don’t get her started. She’s bound to start rambling about how she had a son who was brutally murdered in a group home and the law enforcement and courts protected everyone else…

34. JACKIE says:

DOESN’T MATTER WHAT SHE WENT TO THE STORE FOR, HER CHILD SHOULD STILL BE SAFE IN HIS OWN HOME!!!!!!!!

35. jackactionhero says:

What is “lily white neighborhood” supposed to mean? Please explain.

36. teeter says:

Sorry but your son just dies and one of the first things a parent does is go on tv for interviews? I know people grieve differently but I didnt see it with the mom that she was all heartbroken about it.

37. mr obvious says:

RIP little guy. Black parents have to be more responsible. Who wants to be it was some kid shooting the gun?

38. dinnmpls says:

Honestly this is appalling! Being that I live not far from the block this happened on I would venture to guess that this isn’t the first time something shady went down on that block, I would go further to put money on the guess that this boy’s mother never once called the police to report any of it. Hope the price of not being a snitch is worth it for those in our community who refuse to report suspicious behavior or cooperate in police investigations. If I had a dime for everytime I’ve heard “I don’t snitch on my people” or something similar…so frustrating! I guess we reap what we sow, to bad this family learned that the hard way.

39. Corky says:

My heart goes out to an innocent child, but the truth is…..you foul your nest don’t complain about the smell.

40. Wake up says:

The chances of finding the slime bucket who did this are slim to none without the communities help – fine if they don’t want to turn them into the police than don’t expect any changes – you can only help those who help themselves. To the family and friends of this little guy – my heart goes out to you for your loss and I seriously hope justice can be served – however that happens.